Any disadvantages of soft backplate for tropical diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the Zeagle uses sewn sleeves on the back of the plate for the cam band slots like the Oxy uses for the top band. So Zeagle uses 2 sewn sleeves, Oxy uses 1 sewn sleeve and 1 slot. Apeks and Mares use 2 slots.

FYI, the Dive Rite Transpac uses 2 sewn sleeves. I dove one for years w/o issue and DR continues to use the design w/o problems.

Compatibility between plates and wings should definitely be checked before purchasing, just like when mixing metal plates and wings from different mfr.

Eric has one he no longer uses. Attached photos. Let me know if interested and want more info. He prefers his Freedom Plate.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 144
I used to have a Zeagle Express Tech, but I much prefer a steel plate nowadays, even for air travel to tropical destinations. It seems to me that one of the advantages of a steel plate is that it puts weight right up against your back that would otherwise be on a belt or camband or somewhere else where it wants to help roll or pitch you. A steel plate provides just enough ballast for an Al 80 and 3/2 mm suit without any additional lead at all. For tropical destination diving, I would rather do what it takes to get under the airline baggage weight limits with a heavy plate than go back to a plastic plate and deal with lead weights.

i used to own a ZET. There aren't slots for the cam bands. rather there are sewn loops on the back you thread your cam bands through. you can fit either one or two cam bands. you can put regular webbing onto the soft plate to make a harness. no problem adding drings and a crotch strap if you go that route.
Does that mean the full Zeagle Express Tech hybrid can't be customized with rings on the harness?

Does Zeagle still sell the Express Tech with 1 piece harness or does it only come with the adjustable harness ?

I think all of these no matter which you choose, need the crotch strap.

Does Zeagle still sell the Express Tech with 1 piece harness or does it only come with the adjustable harness ?
They continue to sell the 'soft' plate by itself (Express Tech Backplate). I have one (and an Apeks Travel Plate - Ultralight Travel Plate - for that matter). I find that I can then put a harness on it, and a wing of my choice.
I think all of these no matter which you choose, need the crotch strap.
YES!!! A crotch strap is a useful feature for any BCD. I have added one (by sewing some attachments) to my jacket unit, in fact.

Pete has mentioned his hybrid Zeagle Express Tech a few times, and it's interesting, but I'm not clear what bits of the webbing are sewn on. How modular is it, pete? Can you add D-rings and such anywhere you like? Also, I notice Zeagle sells their express BP separately, but I can't tell what's going on with the cam bands from the photos.
You can configure it just like a Back Plate. Most of them come with a "deluxe" harness, but I much prefer plain webbing. While you can use any Zeagle wing, I had had an issue putting a DSS wing on it.
The top cam band goes through a heavily sewn sleeve on the rear of the plate.
Thanks... I see that now. I wonder why they did it that way? It's not intuitive at all.

YES!!! A crotch strap is a useful feature for any BCD. I have added one (by sewing some attachments) to my jacket unit, in fact.
You definitely need a crotch strap.

Seems that every manufacturer offers nearly identical ultra light soft backplates. They all look more or less the same, although I'm glad folks have mentioned confirming the spacing of the bolt holes. My Oxycheq wing has 10.5" spacings, and Zeagle specs the Express Tech plate at 11". I wonder if Mares and Apeks match either spacing? Neither list the spacings on their websites.

And yes, I plan to add a crotch strap, although read somewhere I should use softer (less stiff) 2" webbing to cut down on wet suit wear.

when I first went bto a BP 20 almost years ago, I tried a crouch strap and found it to be an unnecessary PITA. But I do have just enough belly to keep stuff from riding up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom