• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

anyone ever try wearing non-ditchable weight under their dry suit ???

Discussion in 'Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) & Weight Systems' started by rick00001967, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Stoo

Stoo NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    This is all solid advice IHMO.

2. rick00001967

rick00001967 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    no. just find it interesting to hear what others think. i like working through "outside the box" ideas. sometimes you learn something totally unexpected

not worried about it if i did try it. i already explained the theory behind it. if you disagree thats totally fine. i probably won't do it. but you should be able to make an argument for or against it with facts, not just opinion. thats how we learn new ways of looking at a problem

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 02:15 PM ----------

i thought i tried to explain that scenario in the post just above

3. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

I agree with the others that this is probably not the solution you're looking for. If your weight belt is so tight that it restricts the movement of air inside your suit, there are other options you can explore.

Also, floating you on the surface is one thing. How about a worst case scenario/failure at the bottom? No way to get rid of that weight, will you be able to make it to the surface? Or could you maintain flotation at the surface under a worst case scenario?

4. rick00001967

agreed

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 03:00 PM ----------

from one of my previous posts.......what if my dry suit floods - at the start of any dive i am aprox 5 or 6lbs negative. if my suit were to completely flood i loose the aprox 28lbs of lift. my bc alone has about 28lbs of lift. if i ditch 5 or 10lbs from the bc and fill the bc, i now have 33 to 38lbs positive lift avail

5. Stoo

Stoo NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Most of my friends don't have ditchable weight... me included. I wear HP 130s, and some kind of plastic backplate, a Viking and fat undies...

"Technically" I have three sources of floatation though... my suit, my wings and a 20# liftbag/SMB on my butt. I"m pretty much neutral with nuttin' in my wing, and just enough air in my suit to keep it from squeezing me. One way pr the other, I"m getting to the top, even it means climbing my anchor line...

If I'm wearing my LP 80s, I wear a 12# weightbelt...

6. buddhasummer

buddhasummer Bat sh.t crazy

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Save a weight belt under your drysuit, even the "non ditchable" weight you're wearing on your back is ultimately ditchable if the SHTF in a big way.

7. swimmer_spe

swimmer_spe Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I need about 40lbs when diving dry, even with my steel 120s.

2 lbs on each ankle
    12x2 in the weight pouches
    2x5lbs in puches connected to my tank strap
    2lbs hanging off the tank valve
    sometimes 2lbs in one pocket.

There are many ways to attach weight to you. I almost went to adding weight in the tank boot.

8. Smiler1968

Smiler1968 Registered

You're on a rib. You have handed up your BC or Wing, you no longer have 33 to 38lbs of lift, you plummet to the floor. You feel free to give it a go. I'll leave all of mine on the outside of my drysuit. But that's just me. What ever you decide, stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. rick00001967

sorry for my ignorance. i had to look up "rib" diving. just fyi, i don not do any diving like that. but i get the idea.
    i suppose if i to take off my fully inflated bc at the surface when my suit was completely flooded i deserve what i get. but it should be obvious that is a scenario that would never happen.
    but in the interest of science (haha) maybe i will play guinea pig the next time i am in the pool and i will flood my suit with 10lbs on to see exactly what happens.
    anyone ever tried that for kicks ?? i think i will of course loose all my extra buoyancy, but i think i will be only slightly negative. shouldn't be any different than trying to snorkel with 10lbs on. maybe i am completely wrong. we'll see. isn't physics fun ??!!

10. chrisch

chrisch Solo Diver

It would be easier (dryer) to just put the weight in the suit and throw it in the pool to see if it floats or not! Anyway, good luck getting the chlorine out your drysuit.

Like many others I would question what it is you're trying to achieve. In terms of comfort you can put weigh in lots of places that are not round your stomach on a conventional weightbelt. Harness is definitely worth a look if you find the belt uncomfortable. For a small amount of weight to get your trim right I don't see that it is of any concern if it is under the suit. When you talk about 10lb and still having this mid-body I can't see what you have gained.

As to having the weight ditchable in an emergency this is only a good idea when an ascent will not kill you :)