Anyone have this happen to them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanicRocks

Reaction score
I would like to share with you my experience in dealing with a few LDS in my area and I wonder if anyone else have this happen to them. I have been certified now for 4+ years and figured that its time to step up and buy my first gear setup. So, naturally I started by posting here and had lots of questions that so many good folks answered for me. Thank you for all of your help.

Anyway, once I narrowed my search and knew exactly what I wanted to purchase I started going to local dive shops and shopping around on the net at the same time. Of course adjustments were made on the order as you start to hold the products in your hand you start to notice things that you like and don't. I went to quite a few local dealers and quite a few on line stores as well. I quickly learned not to deal with any non authorized dealers due to warranty issues. Soon, I went to some of the same local dealers in my area and see if I could give them the buiz. instead. To my horror I was treated pretty badly. one guy that I really wanted to give the buiz to because he spent some time with me actually turned and bad mouthed other dealers. Quicklyleft that dealer and went to anopter LDS. The first visit I was completely blown off. After waiting about an hour I decided to leave but come back when they were less busy. the second time the owner hardly spent any time with me and when I asked specific questions he was not very helpful and again he was busy so I decided to come in one last time. this time the store was dead and I finally thought that I was going to get some real answers from the guy. well, after only a minute he apologized that he had to close the store to leave. Now this is the same owner and he remembered that I had come in two other times trying to get some help but still apologized and left. So I decided that perhaps he would like to price out the package on line too so I sent him an e-mail and than waited a week.... nothing... sent another one again... nope no response. Luckily I found an online dealer that gave me alt of time and advice when I myself did not know what I wanted. so, I went and ordered on line with a guy that actually spent more time with me answering questions back and forth. He deserved my business anyway as I saw it. He assembled the entire setup and warranties everything he sells through the manufacturer. I got all of the warranty cards ect. So, I get the stuff and everything looks great but I forgot to order some odds and end stuff like a knife strap mirror, whistle ect. so I drove out to my LDS again (what was I thinking?). and the guy finally had some time to talk to me now. when he realized that I was in to buy a $5 whistle and a $2 strap he figured that I purchased my gear elsewhere and he said good luck and that I wont be covered under the same warrantee that his store gives me. When I told him that I ordered from an authorized dealer the guy tells me that the warranty that I got will not be the same because I did not buy from a local dealer and the manufacturers will say the same thing. when I asked him what he meant by that he just shrugged his shoulders and said "when something goes wrong, you'll see. Maybe next time you should buy from a local dealer". Not wanting to start an argument with the guy, I said politely that I would have liked to buy from him but was not given an opportunity and told him that I sent him several e-mails that he claims he never got. I think he simply just wants to keep his prices so outragously out of wack and did not even bother to respond. does he think that his **** don't stink?:shakehead: I should have walked out right there but still decided to buy the small stuff. while paying I asked the guy if I can use the pool and he said no because that is an insurance issue with on line bought merchandise. can you believe this guy? Full of you know what... OK, I will stop ranting now... I just had to get it off my shoulders and I was just wondering if anyone else every dealt with this kind of treatment. Horrible! nough said:wink:

.......... he said good luck and that I wont be covered under the same warrantee that his store gives me. when I told him that I ordered from an authorized dealer the guy tells m that the warranty that I got will not be the same because I did not buy from a local dealer and the manufacturers will say the same thing. when I asked him what he meant by that he just shrugged his shoulders and said " when something goes wrong, you'll see. ..

i will agree that it is tough being a business owner these days and i doubt any dive shop is getting rich (well except for Larry that is :wink:) but this type of attitude is what is killing LDS faster than their prices

enjoy your purchases and go diving.... chances are you will never even have a warranty issue and if you do, you are covered

im glad to say that down here we seem to have been spared these attitudes from the many dive shops i frequent

cheers and happy diving

oh so its not just happening to me in my local town... I figured not as I went to several LDS out of town also... the guy was not only nasty but I think stupid as I would have spent more with him if I felt that I was a valued customer. Bottom line I got horrible customer service with my LDS and the best with... well you know who. :wink:

From the horror stories I read on these threads I am very happy to have so many dive shops in one city. Everyone knows the market is tight & treats customers well. I have asked for something at one shop they did not stock it but phoned to the other shops to save me a drive for nothing. Turns out one of their competators had my item & they sent me over there. This kind of servce always wins my buisness. I do pay more but with service like that it's worth it!

Never buy anything from an LDS that you can buy online.

CORALCRAZED,

There are a lot of dive shops that have a carriage trade mentality. They are good professional shops, get top dollar and are there with the people and parts to take care of problems and service needs when they arise. While a lot of their revenue comes from the service side they are not interested in turning a lot of cash doing a volume business selling gear at low margins. It's some combination of the chosen business model and not keeping up with today's business environment.

There is no doubt that in most cases you sacrificed the goodwill that comes with making the purchase locally. A few shops will go above and beyond to secure your business next time but they are the exception.

None of this should be any surprise to you if you have been studying Scuba Board extensively before making your purchase. The LDS vs Online pros and cons must be discussed in a new thread every 14-21 days I bet.

Your best bet now is to find a shop in your region that is willing to treat you like a valued customer. The goodwill of the LDS is invaluable to an active local diver. If there is a problem noticed on a Saturday morning and the local shop can turn a quick repair and get me back in the water then salvaging that weekend of diving let alone what would be lost getting a mail order repair done offsets any conceivable online savings many times over.

You, being a vacation diver want to make it a point to get any service work done well in advance and locate a place where you can pool test your gear well before your departure dates.

The dive industry is a quirky beast to say the least. As a diver you need to be part consumer and part politician.

Pete

There's also the point that many LDS' are somewhat scared of the internet because of their outdated business models. That goes for some manufacturers as well. Hence why you can't buy scubapro etc online.

Your LDS lost business. His loss not yours. And I would say that if his gear prices are that high then he lost mostly profits due to his markup on the gear. You could always add up what you would have paid at the shop and send him the amount of $$ he lost in an email...explain that you would have preferred to buy from him, but due to his poor customer service you took your business somewhere else, and it just happened to be online.

Warranties...well there are many threads on this board talking about the pro's & cons of them, and how if you don't service your gear within the specified time frames sometimes the warranties aren't honored etc etc. So don't sweat what this guy is telling you.

As for the pool....BS, IMHO. Enjoy your dives with your gear.

Cheers and Safe Diving,

Rich

It makes no sense, however as others have indicated, this is a hot topic.

Everyone I know, indicates the same thing. Even my LDS is guilty, and they are fairly laid back, and understand that if they push their customers too much over equipment, they will loose customers in need of a training center as well, this is overlooked too often by others. Why cant these LDS realize, training is, and can be much more profitable then equipment. I think a LDS could prosper from only training, and servicing, and eventually not selling any equipment. Sure your going to have to sell the little things, or the startup packages, but everything else just offer to special order them for people for a small fee. Most of the technical guys out there probably don't walk into a shop, and expect to walk out with a entire rig.

Shopping around starts before your certified, as we look for the appropriate association to get trained from. Why push people away over equipment, and I'm not talking about 10-20% saving, I talking about 25% plus.

P.S. don't give them the bait? Just tell them your new equipment was a gift, from someone else. They can't get annoyed, as your going to be bringing it to them for service, and training. I have a rich AUNT that just loves seeing me buy goodies.

What a lot of local shops still have not figured out is that with next day and 2 day shipping, the world has become a LDS.

I wanted to get a new dry suit last year, the local guy did not have my size but would get it. If it fit, I had to buy it.

I said if it fit and I liked it, I'd pay in cash. I was going for a stock size, so no custom issues involved.

No deal

I bought from Joel in AZ, I am in CT.

Go figure.

As for regs , BC’s, and most other equipment, the better ones will live a long time with simple care long past the 1 to 5 year warrantee period. So, I don't worry about warrantee issues all that much and if I have one, many can be turned around in 4 to 6 days from anywhere in the lower 48.

Good for you CORALCRAZED! Smart shopping is the answer. It's sad but the internet is killing the LDS. It seems the best businesses have both online and actual stores to visit.

Back
Top Bottom