Aqualung I300 My Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at the Aqualung computers.
"Once set, the transmitter is permanently paired and will not accidentally pair with other computers"
That statement from the Aqualung website turned me away. AI is important to me, and I like using my old Oceanic and Aeris transmitters with my Hollis TX1. No need to buy everything again.

I suspect your interpretation is incorrect. When Aqualung was distributing the Suunto line one of the biggest complaints was that pairing was automated. On a boat full of Suunto wireless transmitters you could fail to pair or even pair to your neighbors cylinder. The EON and EON specific transmitters finally resolved that issue.

This statement simply means that the transmitter code is entered into the computer and the two don't try to pair on their owns using random is values. It is to address one of the major complaints that were heard from the Suunto line.

I suspect your interpretation is incorrect. When Aqualung was distributing the Suunto line one of the biggest complaints was that pairing was automated. On a boat full of Suunto wireless transmitters you could fail to pair or even pair to your neighbors cylinder. The EON and EON specific transmitters finally resolved that issue.

This statement simply means that the transmitter code is entered into the computer and the two don't try to pair on their owns using random is values. It is to address one of the major complaints that were heard from the Suunto line.

This is correct. You need only enter the transmitter code into the computer to pair it. I have switched computers/transmitters on numerous occasions.

Good information to know. I still won't be buying one from AL since I have a Perdix, TX1 and Geo2. No need for a 4th dive computer. (got rid of my Aeris A300 CS OLED).

I am also shopping for my first dive computer and coincidently was told that Agualung purchased Oceanic as I was interested in the Oceanic Atom 3.1. It is being phased out and thus price is good. It offers optional air integration. Anyone has any experience with this one?

I am also shopping for my first dive computer and coincidently was told that Agualung purchased Oceanic as I was interested in the Oceanic Atom 3.1. It is being phased out and thus price is good. It offers optional air integration. Anyone has any experience with this one?

Aqua Lung did not purchase Oceanic, they bought Pelagic Pressure Systems, a subsidiary of American Underwater Products, who also own Oceanic, Hollis... PPS has been the OEM for Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, Sherwood, Genesis computers for a long time. Now they also supply Aqua Lung computers.

The Atom 3.1 is a good computer. @stuartv has one and can tell you about it

I was interested in the Oceanic Atom 3.1. It is being phased out and thus price is good. It offers optional air integration. Anyone has any experience with this one?

The Atom 3.1 is a good computer. @stuartv has one and can tell you about it

Ha ha! Yep! :) Actually, I have the Atom 3.0.

The 3.0 and 3.1 are identical except for one feature. The 3.0 has a Buddy Check feature. A patent infringement lawsuit forced Oceanic to remove that feature and call the new version the 3.1. Otherwise, they are the same. And with the limited distance that the transmitter works over, I don't see that feature being very useful anyway. I have certainly never used it.

I have had my Atom for over a year and a half, and have approximately 100 dives on it and I still love it. I since bought a Shearwater Petrel 2, then bought a SeaBear H3, then sold the Petrel. Through it all, I have always dived with the Atom - sometimes as my only computer, sometimes as backup to one of the others.

The wireless AI has been flawless - thought I should note that it is important to wear the computer on the same side as the transmitter. I.e. If the transmitter sticks out the right side of your 1st stage regulator, then wear the computer on your right wrist. If you don't, it still works, but you may notice an occasional dropout of the signal and have to wait a second or so for it to reconnect when you look at your computer and want to see your tank pressure. That said, I was diving doubles on Saturday. I put my wireless transmitter on the reg on my right post and, not thinking, wore my Atom on my left wrist. I never noticed any dropouts all day, on 3 dives.

I bought my Atom as New Old Stock, so I have no idea how long it was sitting in inventory when I bought it. The battery in the computer needed to be replaced sometime around the 1 year mark after I got it. I don't remember exactly. I did it myself. It's super easy with the included tool. The transmitter is still going strong with the original battery. I checked the transmitter battery status a few weeks ago and it still showed as "Good". I have a replacement for it ready to go, but I'm waiting to swap it until it shows as Low, just so I see how long it lasts.

The only thing I felt the need to change on mine was I ditched the stock wrist strap and got an extra long NATO style wrist strap. Now, if 1 strap pin breaks, the whole computer won't just fall off my wrist. And the strap is long enough to use over my dry suit without adding an extension.

Is it a puck-sized computer or watch sized???

QUOTE="SOFDiver, post: 7651508, member: 140216"]As a Dive Professional I had the opportunity to get my hands on the new AquaLung i300 dive computer. As a side note AquaLung recently acquired Peligic Systems, and the i300 is the first in a series of new computers. The i300 is ment to be an entry level computer, but it's features make it much more than an entry level computer. Beside being a nitrox computer, it also has a free dive mode which may be important to a lot of divers. The two button design makes it very easy to operate and the programming architecture is very intuitive. The display is large and easy to read and in the dive mode switching screens easy. Overall the i300 is all the computer any recreational diver will ever need, and it's worth much more than the $300 price point. By the way, I am in no way compensated by AquaLung and opinion is all my own. If you are in the market for a computer, or thinking of replacing an older one you should check this one out.[/QUOTE]

It's puck sized. Same computer as the Oceanic Veo 2 but with only PZ+ decompression algorithm rather than the Oceanic dual algorithm DSAT and PZ+

You can use an Oceanic transmitter with these. Got my i450t to work with it yesterday just had to manually input the serial number to transmitter and it connected.

Back
Top Bottom