Aqualung I300 My Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are working on the simulator for the i300 and we expect to have it done in few weeks......
i300 simulator for eDiving is ready :)

aqualung_i300_ediving.jpg

The i300 is a rebranded Oceanic Veo 2...

Oceanic is dual algorithm, DSAT and PZ+, Aqua Lung is PZ+ only (a proprietary tuned down, more conservative, version of Buhlmann ZHL 16-C).

The Oceanic Veo 2 is available for $295 including download cable.
The i300 appears to be $300 plus the download cable. I can't fathom why anyone would buy the "new" Aqua Lung computer...

I'm looking at the spec's for the Veo 2.0 and it says "Download Cable: Optional." I'm a new diver and will be buying equipment soon. My LDS carries Aqualung, not Oceanic. Assuming the download cable is not included with either computer (i300 or Veo 2.0), how much weight should I place on the dual algorithm functionality of the Veo 2.0 over the i300, considering my experience level?

I was certified through my LDS and will be getting a discount on my kit, so the i300 will be less expensive than advertised.

Tipsy

I'm looking at the spec's for the Veo 2.0 and it says "Download Cable: Optional." I'm a new diver and will be buying equipment soon. My LDS carries Aqualung, not Oceanic. Assuming the download cable is not included with either computer (i300 or Veo 2.0), how much weight should I place on the dual algorithm functionality of the Veo 2.0 over the i300, considering my experience level?

I was certified through my LDS and will be getting a discount on my kit, so the i300 will be less expensive than advertised.

Tipsy

Hi Tipsy,

The prices I previously posted were available at the time. Currently, the price is a wash. The i300 is $300 plus $85 for the download cable plus $25 if you want the full version of their download software rather than the free lite version. The Veo2 appears to also cost $300 plus a $100 rip off for the download cable, their download software is free.

Personally, I cannot dive with the PZ+ decompression algorithm for my recreational dives, too conservative, I've been diving DSAT since 2002. For a newer diver, the PZ+ algorithm may be fine. It may depend on whether your dives are limited by gas or NDL. As you gain experience and your air consumption decreases, NDL may become a more important variable.

If you will be getting a good deal on the Aqua Lung computer, it might be the best choice for you at this time.

Good luck and good diving,

Craig

how much weight should I place on the dual algorithm functionality of the Veo 2.0 over the i300

Personally, I would put no weight on that. I have a dual-algorithm Oceanic and I have never used the PZ+ (the more conservative) algorithm. If I want it to be more conservative, I can stick with DSAT and bump up the Conservatism Factor (a setting on the computer).

If the i300 algorithm is as liberal as the Oceanic DSAT, then I would consider it a wash and choose based on other factors. If the i300 is more conservative, then that would be a factor in favor of the Veo - to ME.

You can make a liberal computer more conservative, but you can't make a conservative computer more liberal. And it's not that hard to get to the point where your dives are limited by the NDL your computer gives you before they are limited by your remaining air. Especially if you start using bigger tanks, like a 100 or larger. At that point, a more liberal computer will let you stay down longer. And if you are a recreational diver who follows your training, you will always follow the NDL given by your computer. Which means a more conservative computer will give you shorter dives.

As Aqualung owns Pelegic Systems, they win no matter what of the two you buy. But since it seems you will be getting a student discount, the i300 will likely win on price. I would definitely go for a wrist mounted rather than a console mounted unit just for ease of use and versatility. To you as a new diver, and for most divers in general, IMO the algorithms used don't mean much. All these computers are designed to keep you safe no matter the architecture, provided they are use properly. I've been using my i300 along with my good old Veo 250, both serve well, and I use both as back ups to my "tech computers". Final word, since you are working with a shop that sells Aqualung, I'd go with the I300 for service and warranty issues.

Thanks very much for the feedback. Yes, I do plan to get the wrist model. Just trying to decide whether to get a simple SPG or a dual console with an analog depth gauge as backup.

Based on the feedback given here and the discount I'll be receiving, I'll probably just go ahead and get the i300.

Thanks.

Tipsy

Thanks very much for the feedback. Yes, I do plan to get the wrist model. Just trying to decide whether to get a simple SPG or a dual console with an analog depth gauge as backup.

Based on the feedback given here and the discount I'll be receiving, I'll probably just go ahead and get the i300.

Thanks.

Tipsy

PZ+ is middle of the road, not as conservative as some of the proprietary RGBM algorithms (Cressi, Mares, Suunto), but considerably more conservative than DSAT. I would go with a the SPG rather than a console. If you eventually want redundancy, get a 2nd computer

I looked at the Aqualung computers.
"Once set, the transmitter is permanently paired and will not accidentally pair with other computers"
That statement from the Aqualung website turned me away. AI is important to me, and I like using my old Oceanic and Aeris transmitters with my Hollis TX1. No need to buy everything again.

I looked at the Aqualung computers.
"Once set, the transmitter is permanently paired and will not accidentally pair with other computers"
That statement from the Aqualung website turned me away. AI is important to me, and I like using my old Oceanic and Aeris transmitters with my Hollis TX1. No need to buy everything again.

I don't think it means what you think it means.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom