Assembling a New Regulator/Octo/Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly! Thanks for spelling it out. I'll add one more thought.

Attaching hoses to regulators is not brain surgery and is about a difficult as screwing a nut onto a bolt. Lubrication prevents the o-ring from distorting during assembly and you only need a very small amount to prevent any distortion.

I like my LDS to do this because I trust them. I don't see a problem with you doing it though.
I think it is important to think about buying online. It makes sense to me to buy everything that you don't need to get serviced every year. Regulators I'll buy at my LDS because then I get the warranty for all parts free (if you go with aqualung). For BC you might get away with buying it online. Just my thoughts

Another thing to consider - since you really should let a tech check the whole thing after you put it together (which is not hard; really consists of screwing hoses into "holes" - and you probably don't need lubricant) - is let them assemble it and bench test it.

You are in the Tampa area and there are lots of dives shops who will do this for you - I know, some will not, but I'm sure you can find one in your area who will - if you were in SE FL, I could make a few suggestions of where you could take it - this way you have the peace of mind to know its assembled correctly, as well as any minor ajustments.

In some geographic locations - where there are few shops, for example - they can get downright picky about eq that was not purchased there, but you are lucky to live in a state where there are a lot of LDS'.

Not only is changing a hose not brain surgery, it's something you better get used to. When you change BCs, the inflator hose will be too long/short. You may decide to try a long hose on your primary. You may decide the primary sits more favorably in your mouth with the hose in a different hole. You may decide to ditch the console and just use a 'brass-and-glass' SPG.

In other words, you are going to be changing a lot of hoses throughout your time diving. Get used to it.

I have never lubed a hose o-ring. I can see where VERY light lubrication might be useful but it certainly isn't necessary.

Richard

In addition to the above advice, I'd be reluctant to use aerosol silicone spray as a lubricant, unless you KNOW for certain it does not contain any solvents. You are safer with christo or Tribolube or other silicone grease in my non-expert opinion.... or spit, as Herman said :wink:

The regulator section of this board is a good place to ask questions if you need help.

Best wishes.

Jamie.. folks.. sorry to offend.
It is not brain surgery and thats exactly why the thought of this person doing the 'INITIAL' assembly scares me a bit. I have no doubt that Jamie has the intelligence to screw on a hose. But some seem to have missed the fact that this is an initial set up of a brand new reg. This person, as well intended as they may be and right in the asking, does not even know how to tell if an o-ring needs lube nor what to use in case it does. As I see it, it is folly to encourage them to do anything at all on this reg until they have gained some fundamental knowledge.
Find a technician it ain't that hard. Get them to do the very first inspection and assembly. Putting it together is really LESS THAN HALF the deal.. While I would encourage everyone to take an active role in this process and for sure I'd look for a shop where the monkey in the back room isn't sittin' round with a bong in the cupboard :D The most likely time of a failure is right out of the box, and almost always it is an easy fix if you know what your doing and have the right tools.
While I will do my own tune ups on my car's, change the oil and a few other things (I've even rebuilt a few motors) I would not have attempted the initial assembly of my first car armed only with the knowledge that I 'want to learn how'.

As a side thought.... I think I actually have a better chance of knowing whether the tech's hitting the pipe before working on a reg than I would knowing if the surgeons hit the bottle before he scrubbed in. The tech's prolly more likely to hang out with me than the MD

If one were to take one's brand-new reg, octo and computer to a local dive shop for assembly, what "testing" would the shop normally do after assembly? Hook it to a tank and say, "okay, nothing's free-flowing"? Or is there some additional standard test procedure?

This is a perfect example of why someone who doesn't know what they are doing should NOT screw with something that their life AND the life of a team mate may very well DEPEND upon.

Holy over-dramatized post, Batman. They are just putting together a regulator, fer crying out loud. It really isnt that difficult.

Edit - I saw the rest of your post. Point still stands.

Vandit

I would assemble the Regs myself using spit as a lubricant and take them for a swim in a pool as a test. In my experiance its usually straight after a service or brand new regulators that free flow or misbehave.

put it together Jamie... odd's are really in your favor.. but i would ask how much its worth for the comfort of knowing all aspects of the assembly and bench testing were checked by a certified pro who has experience in these matters.

I know that many, many folks here either hate or mistrust dive shops, their employees and their technicians... but the truth of the matter is you trusted these people with training that your life may depend on, why should you not trust them to help you set up and configure your equipment on this very first time? You have an opportunity to learn some very important and valuable stuff for, most likely, a very minimal investment.

Some may see my view as a bit over the top, and I'll be the first to admit I am a bit of a safety nut :) How much would it cost to have a tech set things up? my guess is 20-50 bucks (50 seems high to me but some may want that) AND any tech worth their salt will be glad to have you sit in while they do it. It could be a great learning experience for you and you'd not be relaying on trying to ferret this stuff out over the internet. Heck if you read careful there even a bit of distention about lube (do you or don't you use it) A tube of Christo is gonna cost about 30 bucks if you use that. Silicone will cost you 5-10. Spits free but if you don't know how to tell whether an o-ring needs lube I think your making a mistake putting it together and missing out on a great opportunity to learn something that will prove very useful later on.
But as I said... Odd's favor everything being ok if you choose to DIY

Good Luck Jamie, glad to have you in the family!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom