Assembling a New Regulator/Octo/Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently bought a brand new reg set. I assembled it (love those miflex hoses!), tested it, and dove it. It felt fine to me. The shop owner where I bought it insisted that I let him check it out. No problem. Turns out the IP was off by maybe 10%. Life threatening? No. Even noticable? No. But he also has had them be off by 50%. I applaud his insistence, cost me nothing (well except the cost of the reg set), and now we are both comfortable.

I received a replacement 2nd stage from Scubapro for a recalled X-650. Got it the day before leaving on a trip. Actually attached the 2nd stage on the boat. The diaphram was folded under and not sealing. So stuff does happen, and I like many others suggest that since the OP is not confortable with the assembly, have your work checked. But I don't think it warrants having the shop do the assembly. Get the experience.

Are you implying that when one orders a reg from an on-line retailer like Scubatoys or Leisure Pro, they don't bench test it before shipping it to a customer? I'm just askin'--I really don't know.

I don't know about LP, but ScubaToys does assemble and test their regs before they go into the shipping box.

I was not intending to imply that online retailers do not test equipment. However if the box is still taped up and all the gear is unassembled, I would wonder. When we sold regs we did not bench them when we received them from the manufacturer. We benched them when they were sold. It is easier to do when you have the components assembled. Sometimes the IP would be a little low or high, or their might actually be IP creep. We also checked the cracking pressure of second stages to make minor adjustments if necessary. Yes, this did happen occasionally.

From the number of people who brought their new purchases (in sealed boxes) to us to have assembled, I would wager that they were not benched before shipment.

But, this could depend on the retailer, much like a brick and morter store. I am not going to paint them all with the same brush without direct personal knowledge of each and every one.

I was simply replying to you saying...
"Again, am I correctly interpreting what people are saying here? That regulators have been found to be defective straight out of the box a disturbing number of times? (Like, more than one in a million?) That's scary. Obviously, any product can be defective, but one would think that a scuba regulator would be one of the more thoroughly tested kinds of products. I would hope that testing and adherence to the strictest quality standards is a reason why a such a mechanically simple product costs hundreds of dollars."

Wow... simply wow
This is simply amazing.

As stated here several times by several different people. The most likely time for a regulator to fail is right out of the box. I've seen IP's that where GROSSLY out of adjustment right from the factory, Yoke assembly's that were finger tight, filters and shuttle valves installed backwards/upside down (yeah those were only once each and I'm thinking it must have been put together on a Friday at about closing time). That said, it is a very rare occurrence for things to be grossly mis-adjusted, loose or improperly installed but it does happen.

Some think that it SHOULD be a "Put it together throw it on a tank and see how she works" sort of thing. I do not. There is a lot more that should go into the initial set up of a regulator system than just swabbing some spit on an o-ring and spinning it down. That many of you accept it, and others actually prefer this sort of service only perpetuates the whole minimal effort service mentality.

You shouldn't be treated as if you just bought a toaster oven IMO. BUT... if that's how you want it, you'll have no problem finding it. I could not, in good conciseness, send a reg out the door without a proper set up and test. No it's not rocket science, but it's not like playing tiddly winks on the living room floor either. And if you wanna watch and learn some basic stuff like how to check an IP, what lube to use when and how much... come on back to the bench with me, I encourage you to watch and take part in things... it'll make you prepared for doing those hose, spool, reg swaps. AND it won't cost you a single red cent to do so.

IMO.. there is NOTHING on a reg set that should be thought of as "simply turning a nut down". This is not a Cuisinart . If these things fail at the wrong time someones life, in fact several peoples lives may be put in jeopardy. It will at least jack up someones day.... at least.

Oh Yeah???

Who was that smart guy who asked if I could give a scenario where a hose failure could be life threatening? I would ask you if you think the OP was 'just' about the hose? Can you NOT think of AT LEAST one instance yourself?' You really did think that question would make ME look/sound goofy huh? :rofl3:

This has been another eye opening thread here on SB :confused:

The thing that suprises me the most is that anyone believes humans are zero defect machines. I have seen regulators adjusted wrong direct from the mfg, from shops doing the adjustment and form "experts"...I have seen a lot more done correctly though.

Anyone that believes they are perfect and it is all those other people that make mistakes is in a bit of denial.

Note: My best example of this was a shop that pointed out that the two regs I was picking up had come from the factory with the incorrect IP....only to find out on use, that their gauge was wrong (everyone doing any testing, using calibrated gauges).

Do enought parts and all of us will make mistakes... even those that think they are perfect.

Thanks to all who have posted real life incidences and experiences, these are the meat and potatoes issues we all need to be aware of. As an auto mechanic I cant even begin to say how many brand new parts I installed that were faulty right out of he box. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world, and as divers we place huge amounts of trust and responsibility in the company's and tech's that provide our gear and service. I have never purchased a reg new out of the box and have always had mine serviced prior to use. I think some valuable information has been spoken here and perhaps a reaffirmation on a few key topics.

1) Safety should always come first and good buddy practices should prevent most unexpected failures.
2) One can never ask enough questions and there is no stupid question regarding safety or equipment.
3) A solid repertoire with your LDS and service tech's are worth their weight in gold.

And if you wanna watch and learn some basic stuff like how to check an IP, what lube to use when and how much... come on back to the bench with me, I encourage you to watch and take part in things... it'll make you prepared for doing those hose, spool, reg swaps. AND it won't cost you a single red cent to do so.

Thanks Wayne, that's the stuff I like to hear, even if it costs a few bucks for your time and my education!

Thanks everyone for all your input. My intention was to assemble and then bench test of course (duh) which I set up to do at my dive shop in the pool as soon as I can. Their tech is always super-busy and I think he tends to rip people off and sell them things they do not need, but that could be my perception. Either way, the recommendation not to use lube came from a 75 year-old man who services gear and has almost 4000 dives under his belt and was confirmed by another older gentleman who has been diving for 40 years and also services gear. Just thought I'd get some more opinions on the matter before I do anything. Thanks again!!

Oh, and Waynne, I do see your point and if I even remotely detected any problems on my bench testing and pool sessions, I would take it right in to the tech! I's just one of those things I want to do on my own if at all possible.

Last edited:
Good luck Jamie... sounds like you had a good plan in place already.. so sorry to hear about your experience with the technician.

Good on you for learning that stuff... sounds like your area could use a good tech? Ya know it's not all that hard and they put on lots of course's right in your area!... im just sayin' :)

BTW Jamie.... thank you for the second 'n' LOL!

Back
Top Bottom