attaching octo via snap bolt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the wife found one of these and swears by it now. never falls off buy accident, keeps the innerds cleaner, and keeps it from freeflowing when she first gets in a pet peave of hers.

octo holder.jpg

I honestly don't like the snorkel keepers for octos -- our shop uses them, and I am forever retrieving dangling octos and putting them back. And although you would think that anything that comes loose that easily would be extremely easy to reinstall, they are not -- at least not in cold water with dry gloves.

A friend of mine made some nifty Delrin clips that fit around an LP hose and to which one can tie a boltsnap. They don't slide and they pull off with moderate effort, but I have not yet seen one come loose. Unfortunately, they are not commercially available.

Sidemount divers often use thin zip ties to attach their boltsnaps to their long hose. Zip ties don't tolerate twisting, so they learn a twisting motion to deploy the reg for donation. This may not work well if it's the OOA diver who is trying to get the regulator loose, though -- and one of the things about technical divers is that one assumes (or at least hopes) that the training they have been through has given them some discipline in the face of disaster, which is probably not going to be true of a diver who has never gone through any harassment training.

I have yet to see an octo retaining system I liked. You are asking a piece of equipment to do two diametrically opposed things, and do them both well -- retain something securely, and release it instantly. Most of them do one or the other well, but not both. That's one of the biggest reasons I really like the primary donate system. It works fine with 36" or 40" hoses, not so well with the standard 24" primary hose. But you can bungee your short hose reg and put a 90 degree adapter on your octo, route it under your arm, and have a very nice, streamlined, functional setup.

I have never been involved in an OOA incident. I hope I never am as a panicking person could cause me to get defensive. I don't know how well I would react to a person who is trying to mug/kill me u/w for my air.

It's really not a big deal.

You have at least two regulators. An OOA diver will get one of them, one way or another. That leaves you with at least one to breathe. As long as everybody has their own reg, everybody is happy.

Nobody will attack you to get air because it's wasted effort. They just want to breathe.

Back when "buddy breathing" was popular, it was a whole different story.

flots

@Bernwald I have the same thing as your wife. It came with the Scubapro reg. I attach it to my right shoulders D ring. I also used the neckbracelet, that is fine to, but a bit less secure. I do not care for the magnetic contraptions as the will fail. My wife uses a velcro thing from which you can yank the octo just as easy. I do not like that, because it is a bit of a hassle to attach itbefore every dive, because the reg has to be pulled through a loop which is attached to the velcro thingie.
I do have a bolt snap on my primary reg. to attach it when not in use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the wife found one of these and swears by it now. never falls off buy accident, keeps the innerds cleaner, and keeps it from freeflowing when she first gets in a pet peave of hers.

View attachment 183033

Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes, I guess.

I have had one of those, and I've taken it off my rig and tossed it. IMO it's too awkward to re-stow the octo after a drill (esp. with thick wetgloves on), and at least my clip didn't hold the octo securely enough. More than once did I discover my octo dangling loose, particularly after a backroll or a giant stride entry.

Now I'm in the folded hose in D-ring camp.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I find that not easy as I attach my camera, light, back-up light and compass to my D rings, so if the hose is in there too, it gets impossible to use the other things or remove the camera to climb into a boat..

Never lost the from this contraption or had it dangling yet.

It's really not a big deal.

You have at least two regulators. An OOA diver will get one of them, one way or another. That leaves you with at least one to breathe. As long as everybody has their own reg, everybody is happy.

Nobody will attack you to get air because it's wasted effort. They just want to breathe.

Back when "buddy breathing" was popular, it was a whole different story.

flots

To say an OOA diver will not become aggressive dismisses the fact that they were a bad enough diver to run out of air. Someone that unfocused is way more likely to panic in a bad situation. I have been accosted by a new diver in near total panic and he still had air, just wanted my reg for some unknown reason. Not everyone is going to "Stop, think, act." Some will just act, and we better be ready for that. Another reason I went to a necklace. If they want my primary, they are welcome to it.
RichH
RichH

To say an OOA diver will not become aggressive dismisses the fact that they were a bad enough diver to run out of air. Someone that unfocused is way more likely to panic in a bad situation. I have been accosted by a new diver in near total panic and he still had air, just wanted my reg for some unknown reason. Not everyone is going to "Stop, think, act." Some will just act, and we better be ready for that. Another reason I went to a necklace. If they want my primary, they are welcome to it.
RichH
RichH

Hey Aquablanco,

I agree with your take on this issue. Especially this part: "To say an OOA diver will not become aggressive dismisses the fact that they were a bad enough diver to run out of air. Someone that unfocused is way more likely to panic in a bad situation."

markm

To say an OOA diver will not become aggressive dismisses the fact that they were a bad enough diver to run out of air. Someone that unfocused is way more likely to panic in a bad situation.

Panic is certainly a possibility. They can bolt or grab whichever reg they feel like.

However "agressive" as in attack you for some reason, isn't one of the responses unless you try to stop them from getting air.

In that case, it's likely that there will soon be two dead divers.

Not everyone is going to "Stop, think, act."

That's correct. In real panic, the response will be "GO UP FAST" or "GET AIR"

RichH
RichH
I'll bet he got some water in his second stage and inhaled it, then thought his reg wasn't working and went for yours.
I've seen new divers forget to seal the mouthpiece well and get a wet inhale.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2014 at 12:12 AM ----------

In real panic, the response will be "GO UP FAST" TO "GET AIR"
Fixed it for ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom