Avanti Quattro questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A significent difference between the Quattro ABS and + is the stiffness of the blades. I have been using Quattros for 14 years and really like them. However, I find the ABS model a bit too stiff in cold water and prefer the + for my style of finning in cool/cold water. I have not tried the ABS in the tropics, but might prefer them in warmer temperatures where the plastic might become a bit more pliable. I believe the + model is current and Mares no longer makes the ABS version.

I actually really like the older style cam action straps and prefer them to the bungee which puts too much pressure on my achilles tendon. No failures in a couple of thousand dives either.

Fins are a really personal thing. It may help to try some before buying.

For some reason I don't like he Mares Bungee strap. I feel like the part that touches my heal puts too much direct pressure on my tendons and I cramp really easily- Maybe thats just me/I might not be used to the fins yet, but I have not had this feeling before with the F1 spring strap for example.

The pad on the straps is quite large, I'd try trimming it down a little so there is not as big a surface area making contact.

The pad on the straps is quite large, I'd try trimming it down a little so there is not as big a surface area making contact.

You may also try adding a strap extension, the straps shouldn't be that tight

For some reason I don't like he Mares Bungee strap. I feel like the part that touches my heal puts too much direct pressure on my tendons and I cramp really easily- Maybe thats just me/I might not be used to the fins yet, but I have not had this feeling before with the F1 spring strap for example.

Thinking a little more about it, the other thing you could try, assuming them being to short is not the issue, is swap the pull tab for another. I often use the Apollo pull tabs, they are thinner and made from a softer rubber. They are also cheaper than trying to buy original branded replacement pull tabs. Over here they are about $6.

If you want to give that a go and can't source them locally let me know I'd be happy help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom