Backplate question (express tech + stainless or aluminum)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it were me, I'd keep the ET and the steel and sell off the Aluminium. I travel with my ET and really like it in tropical waters.

If it were me, I'd keep the ET and the steel and sell off the Aluminium. I travel with my ET and really like it in tropical waters.

I’m heavily leaning that direction. I guess I was just looking for some validation on that decision and my thought process. The ET will probably see more use as a loaner/spare for a buddy than travel but it fits both roles. The stainless I like a lot and given my current diving it really fits that role well. I guess if I sell off the aluminum and down the road need one I can always pick one up again.

Now that I know it will fit on the backplate I vote for the ET and the SS too. Now, if only I had something that would drill my SS backplate....

You don't need to drill it. The ET wing (the smaller one) is able to attach to a plate in one of two ways. The first is to run the triglides through your cam straps. The second is to use the adaptor and run it through the slots in your plate. You need to make sure the slots in your plate match up with triglides on the wing.

I’m heavily leaning that direction. I guess I was just looking for some validation on that decision and my thought process. The ET will probably see more use as a loaner/spare for a buddy than travel but it fits both roles. The stainless I like a lot and given my current diving it really fits that role well. I guess if I sell off the aluminum and down the road need one I can always pick one up again.

I don't understand what the issue is. An aluminum plate does not take up that much room and you are only going to get maybe $50 if you are lucky.

You don't need to drill it. The ET wing (the smaller one) is able to attach to a plate in one of two ways. The first is to run the triglides through your cam straps. The second is to use the adaptor and run it through the slots in your plate. You need to make sure the slots in your plate match up with triglides on the wing.

OK, I understood that it's just that the holes seem simpler. I'm always trying to reduce bulk with the perhaps unrealistic idea that someday I'll be able to travel with my BC and without a checked bag. Meanwhile, some of the airlines are reducing carry-on sizes so that doesn't help with my plan :wink: I thought about using straps of my own making but it seemed like nothing lined up well with the slots on the wing. I have another wing attached to my SS backplate but it's nice to know that the option is available for the Zeagle.

I don't understand what the issue is. An aluminum plate does not take up that much room and you are only going to get maybe $50 if you are lucky.

I think the biggest problem might be finding where he stuck it inbetween a couple of boxes in a few years when he suddenly decides he needs it.

I have accumulated a lot of miscellaneous gear over the decades and sooner or later I have a use for almost all of it. As of right now I have six grandkids and the seventh on the way so chances are some of them will want to dive. Maybe OP isn't that old yet but I also have two sons-in-law and one of them wants to dive.

valid point and if I was just selling the plate I’d agree but I have two almost identical lift wings as well now and a harness. Realistically I’ll probably sell a complete bp/w and was just trying to convince myself which to keep. After reading through my original post and some of the comments I think I’m going to go with my original thought and keep the steel with the ranger wing and one of the 30 lb range wings. The extras I’ll end up selling along with the aluminum plate since I had originally purchased that as a travel plate.

I think the biggest problem might be finding where he stuck it inbetween a couple of boxes in a few years when he suddenly decides he needs it.

I have accumulated a lot of miscellaneous gear over the decades and sooner or later I have a use for almost all of it. As of right now I have six grandkids and the seventh on the way so chances are some of them will want to dive. Maybe OP isn't that old yet but I also have two sons-in-law and one of them wants to dive.

I’ll be honest that’s part of the problem and what prompted this internal dilemma the office is being over run with dive gear and the wife took notice to some oddly similar looking items. When asked about them I folded like a deck of cards and agreed there probably wasn’t a realistic need for 3 of the same items...

Back
Top Bottom