Baggage Rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubyDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think Im about to explode. I have a trip booked to Grand Bahama Airlines on AirTran Airlines in May. I was just reading up on AirTrans baggage information. They have the standard 1 carry-on item, and 3 checked items under thier free baggage allowance. Certain sporting equipment (i.e. bowling, fishing, golfing, shooting, and skiing equipment) is also allowed under the free baggage allowance, but not Scuba Gear. The acceptable sporting equipment can be checked as your first large baggage item, but not scuba gear. Even if Im only checking one bag (scuba bag), Im charged an extra $65.00. Thats absolutely ridiculous!!! All that will be in this bag is BC, Fins, wetsuits, and mask. My reg, camera, computer, etc. will be in my carry-on. Why should I have to pay $65. extra for this stuff when Joe Blow Golfer next to me gets to check his 70lb bag of golf clubs for free?

If I pack all this stuff (BC, Wetsuits, fins etc.) in a regular suitcase, I assume I wont have to pay the $65.????????????

If thats is the case, why are people punished for using scuba specific travel bags? One of AirTrans main routes is to Grand Bahama Island, which obviously gets a lot of scuba divers. I can only assume that Airtran is milking this for every penny they can get. I wonder if they charge golfers extra for thier golf equipment for thier flights to Pebble Beach or Augusta?

Has anyone had experience with this before, and were you able to pack your gear in a regular suitcase to avoid paying an additional baggage fee?

So why tell them?

As long as you aren't carrying tanks, that is.

If I remember correctly this topic has been debated before. I don't think I've run into anyone who has ever had to pay this fee (with the exception of the lady I know who brought her tanks along...but that's a whole other issue). Yeah, they state it in their by-laws...but very rarely enforce it. I have never had to pay the fee. Just be prepared to explain to the guy at the security counter what a reg is and why you need it for SCUBA diving. Those guys aren't very familiar with diving equipment.

I work for an airline. This type of rule is in most cases about SCUBA CYLINDERS. When asked about what is in your luggage, or what it's for you can say snorkeling....mask, fins, snorkel are basic items almost any tourist will carry to a tropical destination and not usually targeted with these types of restrictions. Your regulator may get by with an inspection in either checked or carryon, especially if the person doing the inspecting is scuba savvy. If you don't blow your cool and offer easy and calm explanations for what it is you shouldn't have any trouble. Hope that helps.

The information below was cut and pasted directly from the Airtran website. It is the rules concerning sporting equipment as baggage:

Sporting Equipment

Selected sporting equipment may be a part of the free baggage allowance when checked in lieu of the first piece of luggage acceptable under this allowance. These items are:

Bowling equipment - one (1) bag, one (1) ball and one (1) pair of bowling shoes.
Fishing equipment - two (2) rods, one (1) reel, one (1) net, one (1) tackle box and one (1) pair of boots.
Golfing equipment - one (1) bag including fourteen (14) clubs, twelve (12) balls and one (1) pair of shoes.
Shooting equipment - one (1) gun and case, ten (10) pounds of ammunition.
Skiing equipment - one (1) pair of skis, one (1) set of poles and one (1) pair of boots.
Note: If the above listed equipment is in addition to the free baggage allowance, an excess baggage charge of $50.00 per piece must be assessed.

Sporting equipment not included in the free baggage allowance are bicycles and scuba gear. Both have acceptance limitations and will be assessed an excess baggage charge of $65. for either

Bicycles must be packed in a box with no part of the vehicle exposed. Bicycles not properly packaged will not be accepted.

Scuba equipment consists of the following when applying the excess baggage charge:

one (1) scuba tank that is empty or with less than forty (40) pounds per square inch (PSI) of air pressure,
one (1) scuba regulator,
one (1) tank pressure gauge,
one (1) mask, two (2) fins, one (1) snorkel,
one (1) knife, one (1) speargun.

The scuba equipment must be in a suitable bag.

The way I read this is that scuba gear must be in a suitable bag (scuba travel bag???), and is assessed a $65. charge even if you are within your overall baggage minimums. The scuba bag cannot be considered as part of your free checked baggage. The airline confirmed this.

ScubyDoo wrote...
The way I read this is that scuba gear must be in a suitable bag (scuba travel bag???), and is assessed a $65. charge even if you are within your overall baggage minimums. The scuba bag cannot be considered as part of your free checked baggage. The airline confirmed this.
Tell me you didn't give them your name when you confirmed that.

Many airlines have or have had similar rules on gear. I've flown with gear in my carryon and checked suitcases many times. I've never told the airline what I was carrying. I've never paid a cent in extra baggage charges.

Unless Delta has changed their policy, theirs also states that any Scuba gear is grounds for an additional charge, even a snorkel. But as was stated, if you don't tell them, they won't charge you.

Yes the charge is unfair, which is why a number of people including myself have written to and are boycotting Delta b/c of their policy. Check out this thread.

Thomas

For what it is worth.....
I now have two Pelican cases that are doing not much else than gathering dust in the corner of my storeroom. Why you may ask...go ahead ....humor me....ask!!!

The last few times I traveled with my Pelican cases I was descended upon by TSA....the airlines...and anyone else who had the authority at an airport to ask what was in them. One time I was 10 feet away from the counter when the air line rep at the counter said very loudly...."now there is an overweight bag if i have ever seen one"....since she looks in a mirror every morning I am sure she is experienced......ohhhh so poorly of me...sorry.

Anyway....I no longer use the Pelican cases....I went out and got a duffle bag style of suit case....no dive symbols at all....dont adertise .....and then I went to various stores to find me a "tupperware" like plastic container that did two things. One, it was big enought to hold my bc and protect it from the baggage apes...and two....would fit in the duffle suit case.

Now when I travel with my gear .....one...it doesnt look like dive gear and therefore there are no questions about dive gear...and two....it is protected. Now it certainly isnt as good as a Pelican case but these are hard times and ya do what ya gotta do.

If you ask me...and i know you didnt....all this "stuff" is getting way out of hand. Anyone with 15 minutes of chem/bio training knows....duct tape and plastic??????.....yea right....kiss your you know what goodbye ....it is is going to work as well as my last excuse with my girlfriend!!!!

metridium once bubbled...
Tell me you didn't give them your name when you confirmed that.

No, Im not always the brightest bulb in the the lamp, but this particular time I knew enough not to give my name. I should have told them I was Jacque Cousteau :)

RichNC,

Your post was informative and helpful. Thanks.
My travel bag is a large Mares duffel type bag, which says "Just Add Water" all over it. I would think that most experienced baggage clerks would recognize it for what it is should I use it. I hate to waste such a nice travel bag, but guess I'll have to. I can just stuff all my checked gear into my regular large suitcase, and use my 2 allowed smaller suitcases for my clothes. Its a tropical island so most of my clothes will just be shorts and T-shirts, which wont take up much space. All my valuables (reg, computer, etc.) will go in my carry-on. Speaking of Pelican cases.......Im taking my camera which has a small custom Pelican case. The airlines webpage says that cameras, purses, briefcases, and laptops are not considered carry-ons, and do not count against your "1 carry-on" maximum. When they say "cameras", I wonder if they mean simply cameras, or do they mean Camera Bags? Any thoughts? My carry-on duffel is already going to be packed, and trying to stuff my Camera Case into it too will prove very challenging!

Back
Top Bottom