Barge crash in St Lawrence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to worry DivingGal. Netdoc and I have already spoken on the issue of hurting the feelings of our knowledge laden community leaders such as poor Warren. We both agreed that the bullet issue was harsh. The closest thing to a classic apology you will ever hear on this matter has already been offered in post #51 and that's as far down that rode as I'll be riding.

Rest easy. The blind are free to lead the blind down any one way street they wish. Status Quo achieved.

Ok! so nothing was achieved in this thread, time to move on, and the next topic is?.

Mr A

d33ps1x:
Not to worry DivingGal. Netdoc and I have already spoken on the issue of hurting the feelings of our knowledge laden community leaders such as poor Warren. We both agreed that the bullet issue was harsh. The closest thing to a classic apology you will ever hear on this matter has already been offered in post #51 and that's as far down that rode as I'll be riding.

Rest easy. The blind are free to lead the blind down any one way street they wish. Status Quo achieved.
Not to worry, it would take a lot more than that to hurt my feelings, d33ps1x! But I do feel badly that I have hurt yours.

Cheers mate!

Warren

d33ps1x:
It is readily apparent to someone who read my post I was not making the direct link but instead offering another example of an, "Oh don't worry!", approach to water (sorry that is H20 to you) resource management when I mentioned nitrogen and fertalizers.

Can the lame periodical table nerd stuff will yah. It doesn't float here.

The point is you are trying to make a big deal out of nothing. If this was crude oil I would be the first to say it is a MAJOR issue. But CaCl is harmless in diluted amounts. That stuff they sprinkle on the roads in winter so you can drive (or bike) on the road without sliding off. That is CaCl. Stop trying to make something out of nothing.

No offense intended by the above.

Just a quick question.. From someone who doesn't know the first thing about chemistry..
Someone mentioned that CaCl is heavier than water.. so I would assume that it would sink to the bottom.. sort of like oil and water.. they stay seperate.. or a halocline.. there is some mixing, but in general salt water stays seperate from fresh water. correct so far?
So would the CaCl not sink to the bottom (in the local area around the wreck where the concentration would be higher...)??
How would that affect the local fresh water fish? and how long would it take for the stuff to get diluted.. I realize there is a current, but there are places where there is little or no water movement at the bottom.. I was just curious..
I know its not a crisis.. as someone pointed out earlier, the lake should be fine.. I was more curious about localized effects.
Maybe it'll get rid of some zebra mussels :)

Someone said that the river was closed to commercial operations. Does this include dive charters? And, it is alright to dive in the river?

DPVDiver:
Someone said that the river was closed to commercial operations. Does this include dive charters? And, it is alright to dive in the river?

I sure hope its OK.... I'm diving just down river from the spill

(Should I take some pepper to add to the salt) lol

Further to Boogie's response, CaCl in a saline soloution (CaCl & H20) has a specific gravity of 1 (I suspect the msds boogie pulled his info from was solid CaCl).....in otherwords it's the same weight as water. Due to the fact that it is Solubil it would disapate rather quickly, especialy in an environment like the St. Lawrence where there is mild current. I would suspect that a few fish might have perished if they were exposed to the 100% CaCl as it was coming out of the barge, but I'm no marine biologist, and that is only speculation.....they might be just fine (and float a little better for a few days....) Hope that answers your question...

sparky30:
Just a quick question.. From someone who doesn't know the first thing about chemistry..
Someone mentioned that CaCl is heavier than water.. so I would assume that it would sink to the bottom.. sort of like oil and water.. they stay seperate.. or a halocline.. there is some mixing, but in general salt water stays seperate from fresh water. correct so far?
So would the CaCl not sink to the bottom (in the local area around the wreck where the concentration would be higher...)??
How would that affect the local fresh water fish? and how long would it take for the stuff to get diluted.. I realize there is a current, but there are places where there is little or no water movement at the bottom.. I was just curious..
I know its not a crisis.. as someone pointed out earlier, the lake should be fine.. I was more curious about localized effects.
Maybe it'll get rid of some zebra mussels :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom