BCs: jacket vs back inflate vs bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just read a thread about bp/w for new divers and it got me thinking, so to avoid a hijack, i've decided to create a bit of visual polution for SB. :wink::lotsalove:

I did my training in a jacket style bc like most people and I figure a bc is going to be one of my first gear purchases. (my instructor mentioned during one of the classes that bcs would probably be the first thing most of us would want to buy as we'd almost always have problems with fit in rental gear (3 out of the 4 students were of the female persuasion) and i had problems cause of a not great fit). So my question is this: what are the pros and cons of jacket style, back inflate and bp/w?

at the moment, i think i'm kinda leaning toward the back inflate style but who knows what i'll think once i've tried enough to know what I want.

care to share that popcorn? to a certain extent, i'm expecting a heated debate... would be entertaining, but a civilized "this is why i chose what i chose and didn't choose something else" would be good

I've used the jacket style and back inflate and perfer the back inflate. Husband uses a bp/w. Husband swears by the bp/w but would probably recommend a 2 piece harness for a new diver.

i went with a bp/w because of how modular it is and how you can tailor everything to your needs. if you buy a jacket bc or back inflate you are getting a certain amount of lift that can never be changed. if you are a cold water diver diving a large steel tank, plenty of lead, and tons of gear you might eventually need more weight. also if in your future you are ever looking to get into doubles you will need to buy a bp/w anyway. if you buy a bp/w now all you will have to do if you move into doubles is buy a new wing. also jacket bc's fit just plainsuck :D

so now let me grab my :popcorn: and watch the rest of the party

The modularity of the system will allow for infinite configurations, you will maintain proper trim better, especially if using a S.S. plate due to the weight being down the center line of your back, drag will reduced because even the most streamlined BC with all of the padding significantly increase drag, the latter two characteristics will decrease air consumption and increase bottom time and enjoyment. And to top it all off, I think they are more comfortable.

Sorry for the poor sentence structure.

I think it is easier for new divers to use jackets because 1) they fit snug around the torso giving new divers a sense of security; 2) they support the diver on the surface in an essentially upright position with little effort; and, 3) when first learning they allow lots of room to carry things.

That said, my tavel BC is a back inflate because it takes less space and weight; I generally dive with a back inflate in my drysuit because it is less restrictive; there was little adjustment to make now that my general skills are better (When I tried using back inflate BCDs earlier in my diving life, the adjustment seemed huge).

I cannot speak about BP/W because I have never used one. I suspect they would be similar to a back inflate but with part of the weight built-in.

Ok I'll join the party.

I don't like Jackets because you can feel the squeeze when inflated.
I do like back inflates because they keep the air on the back where it should be when in a swimming position, and you don't feel that hug.
I own and dive a BP/W because they are 1.) modular, can be configured to suit the situation. 2.) they are fit to the individual. 3.) hold my tank securely close to the back, I don't feel that side to side shift I get with my back inflate BC. 4.)The weight of the BP is distributed across my back. 5.) the weight of the bp (6 lbs. for steel) allows me to remove 6 lbs from my belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom