best car rental agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed! Total Bull$%^&. Island Car rental is the place budget and avis send people to WHEN THEY OVERBOOK. And I've heard it happens.

Well, In all my trips to Bonaire and renting trucks.. The only place that had brand new trucks that were top of the line was budget and Avis.. All the others were older and had been well used.. You get what you pay for..

Jim..

Well, In all my trips to Bonaire and renting trucks.. The only place that had brand new trucks that were top of the line was budget and Avis.. All the others were older and had been well used.. You get what you pay for..

Jim..

It's difficult to make judgments from reading threads like this because it's entirely possible that someone who says he got a brand-new truck from such-and-such just got lucky. All the agencies have to replace trucks, so clearly someone at some time is going to get a new truck from even the agency that replaces their trucks less often than the others. I recall a trip a few years ago where my group got two trucks from Telerin/Poppy, one of which was brand-new and the other was an old beater.

Many trips we stay at Belmar. The trucks that are part of the package come from Buddy Dive and are always in great shape so I'd have to agree with DustyC....there are places with really nice trucks outside of Budget and Avis.....in fact, one the worst trucks I've ever rented on Bonaire came from Budget...

there are places with really nice trucks outside of Budget and Avis.....in fact, one the worst trucks I've ever rented on Bonaire came from Budget...

Go figure. For all we know, you were the last person to rent that "one of the worst trucks" before Budget replaced it with a brand-new truck. There is just no way to know. Even the posters here who are relatively frequent renters in Bonaire don't have anything to offer that's close to a statistically relevant sample. If a rental agency were to consistently rent horrible trucks, I have to believe they would lose out to the competition at some point. As far as I know, the agencies discussed in this thread have all been around a long time. Your odds of getting a good truck may vary by agency, but I don't think there are enough data points to be able to guess what the odds are with any given agency. Am I wrong?

For the most part I would agree....but, for example, I've stayed at Belmar enough to feel I can attest to a statistically relevant sample that says I'm going to get a nice truck from Buddy Dive a vast majority of the time. The overriding point, I think, is that internet statements that flat out say there are only two agencies on Bonaire with nice trucks is at least somewhat inaccurate. I think this may be an important point to those new to the Scuba Board Bonaire forum. Further, it think it is at least somewhat inaccurate to suggest these posts have no value to those trying decide who they should use for rental trucks. I say this with all due respect.

I have no skin in this game.. I just made a point that Budget and Avis have the newest fleets on the Island..Almost to nice.. I know when at dive sites I see a lot of less then new rentals.. Bald tires, rusted lug nuts that make replacing the tire impossible, rusted jacks that don't work are normal on Bonaire.. Tail gates falling off or a net added because the tail gate rusted out.. Just look at threads that talk about the rental trucks on Bonaire.. And just so you know, I rent a less then new with rust added rental truck.. But, I pay about 1/3 of budget. And Buddy dive does seem to have nice looking trucks that I've seen..

Jim...

And I want to add.. To many times typing a post is far from when two people are talking.. We tend not to have the normal flow that we have in person..

Last edited:
For the most part I would agree....but, for example, I've stayed at Belmar enough to feel I can attest to a statistically relevant sample that says I'm going to get a nice truck from Buddy Dive a vast majority of the time. The overriding point, I think, is that internet statements that flat out say there are only two agencies on Bonaire with nice trucks is at least somewhat inaccurate. I think this may be an important point to those new to the Scuba Board Bonaire forum. Further, it think it is at least somewhat inaccurate to suggest these posts have no value to those trying decide who they should use for rental trucks. I say this with all due respect.

The Buddy Dive trucks have the logo on the side, so they are easy to identify, and I have noticed that most of them look in very good condition.

Well I just bought a truck... No more renting for this guy.... Anyone want to rent it well I'm in the states...

Jim...

Well I just bought a truck... No more renting for this guy.... Anyone want to rent it well I'm in the states...

Jim...

Jim...
Maybe, does it have a tailgate? Do I need to leave the windows rolled down when I am diving the northern sites? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom