Bp/w build your own backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So this is kinda a continuation from my earlier about traveling with bp/w. some of you had said that some do it yourself-ers created their own back to attach to their backplate. If so i was wondering if anyone had any advice or pics of theirs. I plan on at least trying to make a nice bag that I can blot onto my backplate to make it a nice carry on bag. Thanks!

some do it yourself-ers created their own back to attach to their backplate.
What exactly do you mean by "back"? Do you mean like an STA? A stainless rail is how I attached my recycled backpack.

I plan on at least trying to make a nice bag that I can bolt onto my backplate to make it a nice carry on bag. Thanks!
Are you planning on sewing a bag up from Cordura or something? If so what kind of sewing machine do you have? Do you plan to put it in the overhead or under the seat? I put mine under the seat so I am curious.

I started a thread a while ago about a very similar idea. I've been playing around with a cordura bag that attaches around your wing, sandwiching your plate and wing between two layers of the bag. My wife is about to buy a sewing machine, and that'll really allow me to make some headway. I've got the design ready, I just need to build one.

I think the idea would be to pack the wing in luggage, and build a pack (bag, really, no straps) that would attach to the plate, which you then wear, so that you save the 6lbs in luggage and have a nice small backpack to bring stuff on the plane. It's an interesting idea. There are lots of small backpack companies that would do something like this, although it would not be cheap. Probably the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to buy an inexpensive daypack, remove the straps, figure out some attachment scheme. Maybe you could even just the existing straps on the pack to just lash it to the plate, maybe add a couple of velcro strips.

To me the easiest thing by far is to simply pack all the dive gear into a lightweight duffle bag. This saves me at least 10 lbs over a heavy rolling suitcase. Dive gear is pretty tough stuff, I might carry the computer on board.

There's a thread on here someplace by a guy who made such a backpack from an Ikea bag (or two).

My wife is about to buy a sewing machine, and that'll really allow me to make some headway.
What kind is she getting? I wish I had a HD walking foot sewing machine like a Sailrite model. Ultrafeed Sewing Machines

Of course a nice HD PAFF or something would nice too. Mine does good for about 3-4 layers of light weight cordura, but it won't sew a stiff webbing strap past 2 layers. I have come to really appreciate the auto cut feature. What I wish mine had was a self threading feature for the needle.

I think the idea would be to pack the wing in luggage, and build a pack (bag, really, no straps) that would attach to the plate, which you then wear, so that you save the 6lbs in luggage and have a nice small backpack to bring stuff on the plane.
Thats what I have been thinking ^ it makes sense but so does a duffle bag i guess. Still i think it would be a fun winter project.
As for a sewing machine my grandma has some old sewing machine. I took a class in middle school that taught us how to sew and cook. so I have no real idea how to sew. I do like that ikea bag idea tho. I may try that.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2013 at 09:04 PM ----------

also idk what material either. I would have to look. something strong and possibly water proof (not that that would really matter i guess). maybe like canvas or nylon. again I have not really looked around yet. I wanted to get some ideas first

^The chances are it won't fit under the seat. A regular school type backpack just fits under the seat when loaded. Mine has three compartments, and when full just fits under the seat, but my plate is fairly curved, which raises it a couple of inches. My plate is also super comfortable to wear as a heavy backpack.

The best material to use is Cordura. Which of course is heavy duty and will require a heavy duty sewing machine. Even sewing seams of blue jeans takes a heavy duty sewing machine.

I can not imagine trying to make something like this from scratch, but I am not a great seamster. It would take me probably 14 hours and a couple of failed attempts. If the zippers don't line up correctly they will be very hard to open and close. I love DIY projects though so if anyone attempts it, please post up progress and results.
attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom