BP/W choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSS - the owner is on this forum and give amazing personal service to his customers.

I am going to second taking a look at Deep Sea Supply. Good quality kit and good service. Nice selection of BP and wings. One of best features of DDS backplates is that one does not need a tank adaptor for diving singles most other do.

I have a transpac with travel wing for single tanks. Perfect for travel, and nice and comfy. The Transplate may also be an option since it is the Transpac harness on a hard plate. I have a few buddies that use those and love them.
I'd recommend against OMS because their CS has a lot to be desired, but DiveRite, DSS, Oxycheq Agir are all top not brands

I bought a Salvo backplate because it was cheap. Another brand is Hollis, which I hear is decent though I haven't even seen one in person. They make a 25# "travel" wing similar to the Dive Rite wing. DSS also makes a 17 or 18 pound lift wing if you're looking for small and travel-capable.

The "Cinch" harness is supposed to be quite comfortable, though I can't remember who the manufacturer is right now. I found the dive rite transpac harness to be quite comfortable.

Halcyon makes the Cinch system.

I am going to second taking a look at Deep Sea Supply. Good quality kit and good service. Nice selection of BP and wings. One of best features of DDS backplates is that one does not need a tank adaptor for diving singles most other do.

Do not forget the bolt on and off weight system! Priceless in my opinion when switching from twin 100's to twin 72's to twin 63's.
Eric

Just switched myself from BCD to a harness this year. Don't bother getting any of the padding or cummerbund, just go straight webbing. You can add clips and pockets to your likening.
I chose the Hollis solo and S series wing. You can use this wing without a single tank adapter if you like. You will fill so much sleeker in the water, and everything is easy to access. Also my dive profile became allot smoother right of the bat. Hope this helps.

Freedom plate from Eric Sedletzky for single tanks. I have a Halcyon plate and wing for doubles, but was extermely disappointed by their customer service. It's the last piece of Halcyon gear I will ever buy.
56822d1237347115-freedom-plates-sale-p1010084.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for Deep Sea Supply

The DeepSeaSupply bladders appear to be one of the thickest available for puncture protection.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=products

+1 for Hollis

Good all round gear.. they have a nice selection of wings, harnesses etc and I love their 16W LED Canister and their SMS100 Side Mount Harness.

+1 OMS Backplates... Bullet proof.

Even if you have no thoughts of getting into tech diving, just purchase a simple continuous webbing harness for your backplate... $45-$70 depending on who you purchase from or build it yourself...

Dwayne

Last edited:
+1 for Deep Sea Supply

The DeepSeaSupply bladders appear to be the thickest available for puncture protection.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=products

Dwayne

Actually not true, unless something has changed in the last few months with the materials DSS uses..

Oxycheq, the last time I checked, has the thickest bladder material available (24 or 25 oz) along with the toughest exterior cover in their "Extreme" series wings which is made out of the same material that they use to make puncture resistant gloves for hypodermic needle safe handling.
The extreme series material is extremely difficult to cut or poke through.

...since you brought it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom