BP/W choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40Fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking to change my BCD, and want to go for the BP/W option. However, I've tried to do some research and am having a hard time.

So far, I've found stuff like Halcyon (who unfortunately don't have a retailer in my area), IST and OMS. All good options, but I'm pretty sure there are more out there that I don't know of, and I'd like to hear from you if you know of any.

Just for info, I'm not a tech diver yet, so for now, I'm just looking for a single tank setup. I'm also a bit of a creature of comfort, so I want padded harness (don't hate me for it). Also, as I travel quite a bit with travel, I want a aluminium plate as well as a the steel one.

Can anyone point to any manufacturers, and hopefully some sites where I can see the price for a setup like the one above?

Thanks in advance.

Halcyon - quality, warranty and customer service; at a price.

Oxycheq - the most robust wings available, plus small sizes for tropical diving (18lb).

DSS - the owner is on this forum and give amazing personal service to his customers.

You can also look into Dive Rite. They have a few BP/W setups. I have a transpac (soft back plate, not metal but it does have a nice padded harness) and I can change the wings to accomodate the type of diving i want to do (singles now, but can do doubles and even side mount later.)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will look into them.

A side-question: what is side-mount and when do you use it?

I have a Dive RIte system...the padded harness is nice..but I'm getting the straps only for when I go double.

Side mount is mostly for cave diving from what I gather, but I've seen a bunch of people at my local quarry with them...one guy cited back issues. He said it's easier on his back to transport the cylinders to the waters edge before clipping them on.

You will find that the large harness systems look cool initially. I bought a used comfort system oms Thingy. Now I just have the webbing and am much happier in the water.

I bought a Salvo backplate because it was cheap. Another brand is Hollis, which I hear is decent though I haven't even seen one in person. They make a 25# "travel" wing similar to the Dive Rite wing. DSS also makes a 17 or 18 pound lift wing if you're looking for small and travel-capable.

The "Cinch" harness is supposed to be quite comfortable, though I can't remember who the manufacturer is right now. I found the dive rite transpac harness to be quite comfortable.

Golem Gear; stuff is reasonably priced and bulletproof

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom