BP/W newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently got drysuit certified and have been looking into BP/W setups. In addition to that, I am going on a multi-destination dive trip next year and plan to carry a scaled-down set of equipment with me. Specifically, I was thinking of buying a travel plate and travel wing to take with me. Space and weight are a major consideration since I will be doing this trip "backpacker style" with only one bag. Destinations will all be warm water with single tanks and 3mil wetsuit.

Are all the components of BP/W from different manufacturers compatible? In other words, can I use any Dive Rite wing on a Zeagle backplate with a OMS harness? (for example) Do all setups require a single-tank-adapter if I'm diving single tanks? What should I be looking for when considering a BP/W purchase?

More specifically, I was considering using the OxyCheq Ultra Lite Back Plate
or the OxyCheq Travel Backplate. I really know nothing about the pros and cons and was looking at these products specifically because of size and weight.

Any answers to help clear up my lack of knowledge and confusion would be appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OxyCheqUltraLiteBackPlate

Not all gear works together. Really, as far as I know, the only standard is that the holes for the bolts in the backplate are 11" apart. The presence, size and spacing of camband slots in plates is different, and works with some wings and not with others.

Several manufacturers make a STA-less arrangement. The one I'm familiar with is the Deep Sea Supply one, which works quite well. (Looking at your links, it appears that some of the Oxycheq wings can also be used without an STA.)

I looked at the Oxycheq Ultralite setup at DEMA, and found it intriguing. But I don't know how easily you can install and remove the harness (D-rings and buckles are a pain to undo and replace), so I suspect that, in the end, it would offer very little packing advantage in comparison to an aluminum or Kydex plate.

Note from the second link you posted: Fits most wings with holes that are 11inch on center.

No, not all setups require a STA (Deep Sea Supply, for example).

if i were you, i would go with a dive rite back plate. (either alum or stainless steal, ss offers 6lbs of weight reduction from a belt) then for diving with a dry suit i would get dive rite venture wing, and buy a travel wing seperate for when u travel and need less lift capacity. this will also allow you to dive doubles if you get a classic wing... but the venture wing offers 32lbs of lift, which is good for dry suit diving and wetsuit diving. more lift then u could ever want diving a single tank. and the travel wing is a awsome size for warmer water, and less rubber!!!

I looked at the Oxycheq Ultralite setup at DEMA, and found it intriguing. But I don't know how easily you can install and remove the harness (D-rings and buckles are a pain to undo and replace), so I suspect that, in the end, it would offer very little packing advantage in comparison to an aluminum or Kydex plate.

I'm a bit confused...if the harness was initially difficult to thread why would that affect the size/weight advantage? Don't you just thread the harness through the plate once?

What is a Kydex plate?

Thanks

-

I dive a no-name plate with generic 2" webbing, a DiveRite Venture Wing, and two cam bands. I do not use an STA with a wet suit and the tank stays on just fine. I suppose there is some idea that the tank may roll from site to side on some back plates. I have not experienced this problem to date.

I've found that, when packing a backplate setup, the things that take up the most room are the loops of webbing, whether it's harness or cambands. You can take the cambands off most plates fairly easily, but the webbing is more difficult and complicated to remove, and with standard backplates, you have to mark it to be sure you get the same fit when you reassemble things. So I don't take my harness apart, but just try to pack stuff under and around it so that it doesn't occupy space of its own.

I dive a no-name plate with generic 2" webbing, a DiveRite Venture Wing, and two cam bands. I do not use an STA with a wet suit and the tank stays on just fine. I suppose there is some idea that the tank may roll from site to side on some back plates. I have not experienced this problem to date.

Is that the purpose of a STA? To keep the tank from shifting around? Theoretically, shouldn't the tension on the cam band be enough to prevent that?

Just out of curiosity...How is it that other people come to learn about BP/W setups, etc.? Is is part of some Tec class or is there a book about this stuff? You learn about other types of BCs in OW class. Where does one learn this other stuff?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom