BP/W really OK for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving 3-5 times per year is pretty vauge, that could be 3-100 dives. I personally think you're rushing things. Pass OW first then rent a BC for a bit. You may decide you prefer a jacket. Call around or post in the regional forum and try to find a shop that can rent you a BP/w to try out. Just don't rush into a purchase and at the moment, you aren't ready.

EZHOOPS:
still haven't passed my OW cert but I want to buy a BC and I've been reading about this new trend (i think) BP/W. IS this really a good idea for a new diver whose never used one and I don't think my LDS stocks them.
You answered your own question. If you don't feel "adventurous" and you don't have someone to help you out adjusting it in a pool, then a BC is far, far better for you.

In my humble opinion, the benefits of a backplate and wings are FAR, FAR over rated. They have been lauded as the panacea of trim and neutral buoyancy and they fall far short of that. The key is in two words: comfort and fit. Everything you buy (or rent) should fit that criteria. Don't do it because it's the latest trend or craze. Do it because it just fits you and you are comfortable with it: all of it.

A back inflated BC (Oceanic Probe, all of the Zeagles, etc. etc.) will provide you all of the benefits of a back plate EXCEPT being able to really deal with doubles. If doubles are NOT in your future, then by all means stick to a regular BC. I hope this helps.

This is a similar situation I found myself in after I got my OW cert. In the end I ended up going with a BCD. I figure it's going to be a few years before I go doubles and some additional classes to learn how do it properly.

It seems all the guys/girls who have been diving for a while have multiple setup's (tech rigs / rec rigs) depending on the type of diving they are doing. If you are planning on making this a life long thing, then in the end Im sure you will end up like most of those people. Specialized gear for specialized situations.

The best advice I can give you is what my LDS told me. Just go out and dive. Doesnt matter if you dive gear brand X or Y, just go out there and get experience. No equipment on Earth will make you a better diver then experience. After you do it for a while you'll figure out what is right for you and what isnt.

Hope this helps.

NetDoc:
A back inflated BC (Oceanic Probe, all of the Zeagles, etc. etc.) will provide you all of the benefits of a back plate EXCEPT being able to really deal with doubles. If doubles are NOT in your future, then by all means stick to a regular BC. I hope this helps.

This is not exactly true. A primary benefit of a SS BP is that it gets weight off your belt and sandwiches it between the two souces of buoyancy; your lungs and the wing. I found this to be a real improvement in diving comfort and buoyancy control.

The best advice on this thread, IMO, was given a few posts back; buy a used cheapy vest that fits you okay, then after you have enough dives to really appreciate the difference, you can decide for yourself. That's what I did and it worked out great...I bought a friend's old SP vest for $75, used it for a year, then bought a BP/W.

Don't buy a BP/W.

You'll need to think a lot. You'll have to make choices. It will be hard for you to get vertical in the water, it might last a long time, and it might actually take weight off your weight belt.

Just buy a cheap BCD so that you understand down the road why many divers are actually using BP/W systems.

EZHOOPS:
still haven't passed my OW cert but I want to buy a BC and I've been reading about this new trend (i think) BP/W. IS this really a good idea for a new diver whose never used one and I don't think my LDS stocks them. I've used the seaquest pro QD and really like it because it had integrated weights, easy on/off power inflator, easy adjustments, lots of D rings. Can I find all these features in a BP/W unit for a lower price?

Where can I purchase a BP/W if they are a better option, remember I'm a newbie but I plan to dive at least 3-5 times a year for the next 20+ years (thats the plan at least)

I would strongly recommend you the BP/W. Why? Many different reasons. The only disadvantage I see is that you need to screw / unscrew the bolts everytime you change the tank. Is that a problem? I dont think so.

Advantages (in my view):
- great for travelling (will take much less space than BCD);
- streamline (will make use less weight and create less drag);
- adaptability (you can adapt it to your taste and upgrade it to bigger / smaller wings, etc).

I made the mistake (in my view, once more) of buying a BCD. Used it twice. After that, what were my problems?

- too big to conveniently pack for travelling;
- too bulky for diving comfortably with a drysuit.

I hope this helps.

mattboy:
This is not exactly true. A primary benefit of a SS BP is that it gets weight off your belt and sandwiches it between the two souces of buoyancy; your lungs and the wing. I found this to be a real improvement in diving comfort and buoyancy control.
A back inflate typically has trim weight pockets in the same area that accomplish pretty much the same thing. If you travel, some people would prefer to use weights at the destination rather than carry something heavy. Of course there are light plates that one might choose for travel if this is a concern (or in the event you don't need much weight), but then you would just need to provide yourself a way of adding weights back here.

Make no mistake about it... I enjoy diving a BP and Wing and I own several of them. However, I see a lot of condescension towards a BC that is wholly unwarranted.

So Perrone, are you indicating that an Oceanic or Zeagle BC won't last a long, long time? As for getting vertical in the water... I can do that with ANY THING. Vertical, side ways, flat as a pancake. I control my trim and attitude, and I won't blame my BC Du Jour if somehow I fail.

While working for the College of Architecture at the UofF, I ran a small student machine, welding shop that was combined with a structures lab. When a student came in, I showed them how to use various pieces of equipment and then I merely listened. Usually, someone would force the tool and a non-harmonious sound would emanate from their general direction. About the time they started cussing out the machine they were using, I gently reminded them: "It's not the tool!"

So it is here. If your trim and buoyancy are off: a BP& wings will not cure your problem except as a placebo. IOW, expect the same results from whatever piece of equipment you use.

If your buddy skills are horrendous, expect the same results from whatever piece of equipment you use.

If you lack gas management skills, going to a BP & Wings will do little to augment them. Yes, you should expect the same results.

Don't substitute gear for skills or training. It doesn't make sense.

The most important factor for ANY piece of gear is that YOU are comfortable in it and that it fits well. Personally, I don't enjoy jacket style BCs: I am too fat to enjoy them. Back inflates suit me just fine and BP & Wings are fine as well.

Don't substitute gear for skills or training. It doesn't make sense.

The most important factor for ANY piece of gear is that YOU are comfortable in it and that it fits well.

That's it in a nutshell.

I've had 2 jackets. The first one sucked because it didn't fit. The second I had for at least 10 years. The third one I bought a BI because it happened to fit best, but I would have bought another jacket if that was what fit best, either suits my needs. A BI didn't magically improve my bouyancy control which was just fine in a jacket. Location of the air bubble affects trim, but if you don't have bouyancy control putting the air someplace else doesn't really address that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom