bp/w VS. Dive Rite Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
At some point in the hopefully not-too-distant future, I would like to upgrade my poodle jacket to something more streamlined with back-inflation. Obviously a lot of people on this site like bp/w's, but I've also heard complaints about the backplates being uncomfortable. The Transpac seems like a very streamlined back-inflate BC...which seems good to me. I've heard people say they didn't like the Transpac (or a buddy owned one that didn't like it) but I'm not exactly sure why. So anyway, for a guy who does single-tank wetsuit dives (and has no plans of ugrading to doubles anytime soon...or maybe ever) would the Transpac be the best choice? If not, what would be the downside to the Transpac, and/or what would make a good bp/w a better choice? Also, wouldn't the backplates be uncomfortable for warm-water dives where you're wearing just a t-shirt, rashguard, etc.? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
We own the SS plate, aluminum plate and TransPac. Yes the TransPac is comfy with minimal padding. I always were a 3mil even in 85* water (Super wuss) so the plate is fine. I like them all...and highly recommend them for the best possible fit to your body.

Lisa

Diver Doug...I don't use the Transpac but last summer, I purchased the Zeagle equivalent...the Explorer Tech. My other set-up for doubles...SS BP with 65 lbs Wg. In both cases I have no problem whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I just returned from one week diving charter with Blackbeard and did 20 dives in five days with my Express Tech. No complaint whatsoever...lightweight, simple, easy to pack and carry and great buoyancy.

In the group, four or five other divers dove aluminium backplate and/or travel plate with Wg and they all seem to enjoy their set-up. One of the advantage of such a set-up is the ease to add a canister light which is a little bit trickier to do with a traditional BC

At some point in the hopefully not-too-distant future, I would like to upgrade my poodle jacket to something more streamlined with back-inflation. Obviously a lot of people on this site like bp/w's, but I've also heard complaints about the backplates being uncomfortable. The Transpac seems like a very streamlined back-inflate BC...which seems good to me. I've heard people say they didn't like the Transpac (or a buddy owned one that didn't like it) but I'm not exactly sure why. So anyway, for a guy who does single-tank wetsuit dives (and has no plans of ugrading to doubles anytime soon...or maybe ever) what would be the downside to the Transpac, and/or what would make a good bp/w a better choice? Also, wouldn't the backplates be uncomfortable for warm-water dives where you're wearing just a t-shirt, rashguard, etc.? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

What works for one diver is a PITA for another. Given you are socal and likely diving 8/7mm or drysuit, whatever you have on your back is going to be comfortable. I switched from a Transpac/Pate/Wing to Back plate/webbing/wing and really no difference for me.

Dwayne

I have recently switched from a back-inflation BCD to a BP/W. With only a 0.5mm wetsuit, I really can not say the plate is uncomfortable at all. The only mild downside I have found so far is that the BP/W are a good bit harder to take off and put back on while underwater. How often will you have to do that anyway?

I would recommend sticking with a solid plate and a simple Hogarthian harness. No fluff needed. The Transpac does not have the stability that a real back plate offers. I had one, and never used it because upon setting it up, I found it was a piece of junk that let the tank move in every which direction which I am not used too. Plus it has fluff that just adds buoyancy which is what you don't want.

For plates and single tank diving I swear by my Freedom Plate. Wouldn't change it for anything and I have used it against my bare skin with complete comfort.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/320863-freedom-plate-dive-rite-plate.html

Years ago the favorite buzzword on Scubaboard was "failure point". (the Transpack has over a dozen of them) It got a pass because it was a DR product.

That term has since fallen out of fashion and been replaced by "situational awareness".

The BP has only one "failure point" (in case anyone still cares about that sort of thing.)

It is also much cheaper than the Transpack.

I cannot say if it helps with "situational awareness.

Thanks for the responses so far, they have been interesting to read...although I'm not sure I feel any clearer now than I did before posting this thread lol. I wish there was a place called "Jeb's House of Non-Mainstream BC's" or something like that, where you would have a huge selection of this sort of stuff (diverite, DSS, zeagle, halcyon etc.) I found a shop in Riverside that carries the transpac, but I have yet to find an LDS that carries a bp/w...and I'm sure that if I do, whichever one brand they carry will be pitched to me as "the absolute best." Ugh...the dive industry :banghead:

Last edited:
There are threads after threads regarding BP/W's and they are pretty mainstream. Even Scubapro has their own very expensive version.

For a great deal try a basic harness (Hogarthian harness aka HOG) with a stainless plate and a 30lb Mach V wing. I use an Oxycheq Mach V myself, with my Freedom Plate that is only available directly through Eric S., and it is one of the best wings out there. Add a crotch strap and you are set.
BackPlate and Wing Package discounts on sale Dive Rite

If you are willing to spend a little more money $70 Tobin from DSS will set you up with his gear. He will spend the time to walk you through anything you want over the phone.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs

Why does it have to be from an LDS? Most of them just want to pimp their expensive junk that isn't what is best for the customer. Many of us learned that lesson the expensive way as we replaced most all of our gear.

In your original post, you asked four questions:
The Transpac seems like a very streamlined back-inflate BC...which seems good to me. I've heard people say they didn't like the Transpac (or a buddy owned one that didn't like it) but I'm not exactly sure why.
There are two primary, and two secondary complaints that people have about Transpacs. 1) they do not provide as stable a platform for the tank as the diver prefers; and 2) they have too much padding and material, and consequently they are too positively bouyant and require the diver to add extra weight. The secondary complaints you will hear from some is that the Transpac is not as streamlined as a BP/W, and the quality of the construction / materials in the unit is 'poor'. I own and dive a) SS and AL BP/W setups for single and double (backmount and sidemount) tanks, and b) a Transpac for single and double (backmount and sidemount) tanks. PERSONALLY, I do not find that the Transpac is lacking stability for either single or double tank diving (I do use the stabilizing plates for backmouned doubles), even when using backmounted double 130s. I do slightly prefer a BP/W over the Transpac for simplicity. I do find the Transpac to have too much (unnecessary) padding, and to be positively bouyant, requiring extra weight when diving single tanks. So, I have removed the shoulder pads, and the back/lumbar pad on my unit. I have not had a situation where I felt the Transpac was not streamlined to the point that I was using extra energy, and extra gas, to move through the water, even when scootering. There is nothing in the construction of my Transpac that I would consider to be 'poor' quality. All of those are my individual observations and opinions, in response to your question, though and you may get / have received differing views.
diver_doug:
So anyway, for a guy who does single-tank wetsuit dives (and has no plans of ugrading to doubles anytime soon...or maybe ever) would the Transpac be the best choice?
Not necessarily, simply because saying one choice (Transpac or BP/W) is 'best' is virtually impossible. It would be a good choice, and the chances are good that you would be quite happy with it. A BP/W would also be a good choice, and the chances are you would be quite happy with a BP/W as well. My personal recommendation would be a SS BP and modest size wing (e.g. 24-30 lbs), but there is nothing wrong with a Transpac.
diver_doug:
If not, what would be the downside to the Transpac, and/or what would make a good bp/w a better choice?
The only 'downside' that I see is the fact that the unit is positively bouyant. A SS BP may allow you to take some weight off your waist. Some divers express concern about weight limitations when traveling, as a caution against a SS BP. I have never had a problem - went to Bonaire in September and took a SS BP AND a Transpac, AND three regulators, without a problem. But, I don't carry much personal 'stuff' either, and I use lightweight duffel bags instead of hard cases, which really helps with the weight.
diver_doug:
Also, wouldn't the backplates be uncomfortable for warm-water dives where you're wearing just a t-shirt, rashguard, etc.?
No. This is a commonly expressed concern among divers who are considering a BP/W, but who have not yet tried one in the water. It is very understandable, simply looking at a BP. However, with possibly a very small number of exceptions, once divers use a BP/W, even with just a T-shirt, they realize that they are quite comfortable in the water.
diver_doug:
I wish there was a place called "Jeb's House of Non-Mainstream BC's" or something like that, where you would have a huge selection of this sort of stuff (diverite, DSS, zeagle, halcyon etc.) I found a shop in Riverside that carries the transpac, but I have yet to find an LDS that carries a bp/w...
It would be good to find a Jeb's House of ... , but probably impossible simply because of the cost of maintaining an inventory, and the manufacturer requirements for sales volume minimums needed to get favorable pricing, or even maintain distributor status. That situation is not limited to the dive industry though. It is truly unfortunate that more shops don't carry at least one line of BP/W setups, to offer customers the option. You will see SB threads where posters comment that, despite the fervor of BP users, the vast majoirty of divers buy and use jacket BCDs, which is very true. In some cases, it is true simply because the buyers are not aware that a BP/W setup is even an option. Back when the only color you could buy a Model T Ford in was black, you saw a lot of black cars and could easily presume that black was a favorite color. This comparison doesn't imply that the majority of divers would buy a BP/W, if available. Rather, it is disappointing that more shops don't have the business savvy to carry at least one demo BP/W in whatever brand line they already carry. It expands the sales opportunities.
diver_doug:
and I'm sure that if I do, whichever one brand they carry will be pitched to me as "the absolute best." Ugh...the dive industry
Probably, but that is OK, because there really is not an absolute best, so you would not be misled. If you take products from Zeagle, Dive Rite, Apeks, Halcyon, Hollis, ScubaPro, Deep Sea Supply, Mares, OMS and probably 5 others, you will generally find that the quality of the product lines are comparable. Yes, there may be particular features that one product line may have that are especially attractive, and not available from all lines. But, what does distinguish some companies is their customer service. For example, I find Zeagle to be exemplary in their service. I have only had excellent service from Tobin at Deep Sea Supply, and have never heard of anyone who has had anything but excellent service from DSS. I find OMS very sluggish to respond, I find Mares parts difficult to obtain in a timely manner. But those are my experiences and others may have had different encounters. The point is, there are many good brands, and it is OK for a shop to be a vigorous advocate for the brands they carry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom