Buying a camera online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueEyeIrishGirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking into purchasing a SeaLife DC800 camera online because the closet dealer here wants the retail price.

I was wondering two things: 1) Which sites are trusted and not frauds 2) Should I go the extra money and buy a DC800 Pro?

I am only going to dive a max of 60 ft because I haven't taken my advance course yet and I am hoping to go see the USS Oriskany next summer when I save up money and time for it.

Can anyone give me some words of advice?

I've bought most of my camera equipment online & never had any issues. I only delt with reputable dealers.
As far as the 800 goes, it's pretty new. Are people discounting that much already? Mine was discounted only around $25 but that was the week it came out. Are there much better deals now?

B and H photo is really good and is an authorized dealer.
Leisure is also an authorized dealer and has great customer service.
Both have good prices.

But with pricier items, I would suggest calling them up to orders.

The store near me is selling it for $595 and I have seem them at $499. If I do go for the pro set up there will be a cost difference of over $100. Retail price is about $900 and I have seen them at $800. Still I am not sure on websites through because I don't buy that much from the internet. Would places like scuba.com be safe? They give you a kit with the purchase but I don't know if the kit is standard kit if I were to purchase it somewhere else.

Look, why does everyone assume everything online is a fraud and that brick stores that routinely charge full MSRP are not. I have been ripped off many more times in brick and motor than ever online. As I am now in my fifth decade I am amazed out how the supposed younger "internet" generation is unable to shop online. We do virtally everything online, saves gas too.

Dive cameras, underwater photography equipment, scuba cameras

The DC800 is priced at 499.99 by itself and they have a great price on a DC600 KIT.

OK, there you go, Scubatoys, highly regarded as honest as the driven snow is white. Don't want to order on line from Scubatoys, call them on the phone and order with credit card. I have bought many things from them with superb and friendly service.

Here ya go, Amazon, Amazon is great:

http://www.amazon.com/SeaLife-SL180...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217712196&sr=8-1

N

The store near me is selling it for $595 and I have seem them at $499. If I do go for the pro set up there will be a cost difference of over $100. Retail price is about $900 and I have seen them at $800. Still I am not sure on websites through because I don't buy that much from the internet. Would places like scuba.com be safe? They give you a kit with the purchase but I don't know if the kit is standard kit if I were to purchase it somewhere else.

I do not know much about scuba.com. But their deal is the same a Leisurepro.com who I have always had a great dealing with. The free kit is what comes with the pro set. Scuba.com only gives you a free baseball cap. If you call Leisurepro they will most likely thrown in theirs. But I really suggest that you call them if you want to get the pro set. And ask for brett or ben.

Hope the info helps.

Keep in mind also that Scubatoys offers a discount if you are a Scubaboard member. I think it is 10% If you have any questions ask for Larry or Joe!!!!

My first sealife camera came form a local dive shop. I live in NY and work a few blocks away form Leisure pro. But, true to my style I decided I wanted that camera 2 days before I was going to Aruba & I had the week off (& I'll be darned if I was going into Manhattan on a day off!)so I stopped in at my dive shop and asked. They had the camera but it was more than $100 more. I simply mentioned the deal at leisure pro not trying to wrangle a lower price but more to explain my hesitancy... He instantly matched it. I told him that it was ok, but he insisted. I think I paid maybe $20 more by the time I got done. Worth it. So if you weren't confused enough before, there's a third option.
Or go with any of the online shops listed above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom