Buying a camera online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Prime Scuba I usually buy everything from them never had any problem.

Looks to use the same software as LeisurePro and Adorama and the whois records look very similar. They claim to offer full manufacturers warranty on everything the sell, but a much smaller selection that LP.

I'd conclude that this is a branch of LP for brands that they can sell online to escape some of the bad press/reputation that LP has encountered.

For the record, I've bought plenty from LP and have been quite happy, but I do (now) have a list of things i will buy with and without the manufacturer's warranty.

Not fraud over the net, but the most common issue with the INTERNET vendors is if they have the item in stock or not when you order. If not, you have to wait for a long time to get the camera (at least three weeks). So, contact them first before placing an order through email for the record.

Just my 2 bar.

absurd? why?
One of the basic underpinnings of microeconomics is rational choice theory. Stated simply, individual market participants will maximize their utility and minimize their costs. If the LDS provides some services for free that you use--perhaps a convivial atmosphere--then paying for it in the form of higher equipment prices will subsidize those users who consume the conviviality (or pool, or equipment try-on) for free. If everybody who patronizes the shop enjoys the social scene at the shop, the shop would be well-advised to implement a cover charge, and lower their equipment prices to attract customers with other social outlets.

Some people will buy from the LDS out of ignorance, but not too many. To the extent that consumers choose to "support their LDS" out of sentiment, that is akin to charity. They may get more utility by contributing here, to my favorite charity:

Make-A-Wish Foundation : Ways To Help : Donate

or to one of their own choosing (and taking a tax deduction as well), rather than, in effect, contributing to a charity for failing businessmen.

Last edited:
Looks to use the same software as LeisurePro and Adorama and the whois records look very similar. They claim to offer full manufacturers warranty on everything the sell, but a much smaller selection that LP.

I'd conclude that this is a branch of LP for brands that they can sell online to escape some of the bad press/reputation that LP has encountered.

For the record, I've bought plenty from LP and have been quite happy, but I do (now) have a list of things i will buy with and without the manufacturer's warranty.

Hi Vondo,
I'd just like to pop in here and say that Prime Scuba is in no way affiliated or associated with LeisurePro. If you (or anyone else) has any questions, don't hesitate to shoot us out an e-mail or give a call directly, 1-888-657-2822. We are in fact authorized dealers for everything we sell and it is all backed by the manufacturer warranty and a best price guarantee.

Thanks for your time.

No sales tax either if you are out of state.

By the way, some LDS's are very competitive. They have found the right mix and know how to play the MSRP game with the OEM's.

http://scuba-market.com/

DC800 @ 499 and free shipping.

If it is a branch of LP, it does not sell all the brands LP authorized to see. Like Mares, Tusa, and XS scuba, very strange if they are a LP branch selling with fully factory warranty.

The software can be brought so it is not really a good judge.

Thanks everyone for the help. I decided to buy a CanonA650. I found one for about $300 on amazon. I am excited to try it out. I will try my best to post some pictures of anything I get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom