Buying a camera online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i recommend supporting your lds when you can. internet is killing these shops, and where else are you going to get your continued training, advice, be able to try on/out your gear purchases, and get such personalized service? and my lds discounts on everything that he can. the problem is, many of the big scuba gear companies, such as oceanic, require lds' to charge msrp to keep their dealership. 2nd problem is, of course, small businesses have higher overhead and classes are not moneymakers--there are expenses, such as rental of pool time to teach in, that online companies don't have. Equipment is where they get their livelihood.

regarding the pro set, i don't remember what comes with what, but you'll definitely want the wide angle lens if you're diving wrecks. also, since wrecks are usually in deeper waters, you'll want that strobe as well.

the oriskiny? isn't the top of the superstructure deeper than 60 ft? this isn't a dive for the newly certified. IMHO, i'd try to get a lot more experience before seeing the mighty 'o'.

hope this helps without offending anyone!

I bought mine of ebay for an amazing £240! what a bargain.

Or by the Casio Ex-Z1200 with housing for 439 shipped at Helix Camera in Chicago....... 12mp, 3" screen and amazing pics......

Amen! I've bought all my digital cameras and accessories over the years online and never had a problem. I've bought stuff from Leisure Pro, 17th Street Photo, B&H Photo, and Adorama Camera (I believe this is also Leisure Pro). They are all New York based. I've also purchased new digital cameras off e-bay. They were grey market cameras but work great.

The only brick and mortar store digital cameras I purchased were from Best Buy as gifts for our daughters. They were Sony Cybershots and they both had problems with the cameras but Best Buy honored the warranty.

i recommend supporting your lds when you can. internet is killing these shops, and where else are you going to get your continued training, advice, be able to try on/out your gear purchases, and get such personalized service? and my lds discounts on everything that he can. the problem is, many of the big scuba gear companies, such as oceanic, require lds' to charge msrp to keep their dealership. 2nd problem is, of course, small businesses have higher overhead and classes are not moneymakers--there are expenses, such as rental of pool time to teach in, that online companies don't have. Equipment is where they get their livelihood.

regarding the pro set, i don't remember what comes with what, but you'll definitely want the wide angle lens if you're diving wrecks. also, since wrecks are usually in deeper waters, you'll want that strobe as well.

the oriskiny? isn't the top of the superstructure deeper than 60 ft? this isn't a dive for the newly certified. IMHO, i'd try to get a lot more experience before seeing the mighty 'o'.

hope this helps without offending anyone!

I am not planning to dive on that site until the end of next summer. So I am going to be getting a ton more dives in but not that much at that depth, unless my family decides to go on vacation to somewhere else than where I live.

B&H is a reputable dealer with competitive prices:

Underwater Still Cameras Page/2 | B&H Photo Video

At the risk of stating the obvious, the idea of paying more to "support your LDS" is absurd.

retailers in the US yeah, you know that here in Britain we get ripped off on everything.

Let's see, scubatoys has it for 499, they give a 10% discount usually on most items, that is minus 49.99 dollars so roughly 450 dollars for the same camera your lds was happy to sell you at full msrp which was something over 600 dollars. I don't know about you but 150 plus dollars is a lot of money to throw away. N

Back
Top Bottom