calling out the BP/w-philes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was not aware of this - from my friends who dive BP/w I had assumed that the weight was on the order of #15+...

You know what they say about assumptions :wink:

The average SS plate does weigh around 5-6 lbs, and the AL ones weigh maybe 1-2 lbs.

I'm sure there are heavier ones (maybe the DSS "long" plate?), but they are the exception, not the rule.

I truly believe that if you plant yourself in either camp without thinking through the options, you are indeed a fool.

Every new diver (and many not new) enters the sport with the knowledge that they have been given. Not every diver comes onto SB to learn about everything. Many go into a local dive shop and ask what they need. You are calling them a fool because they listened to the so called experienced professionals? They know no better and over time I am sure they will learn but to call them a fool is foolish IMO.

Every new diver (and many not new) enters the sport with the knowledge that they have been given. Not every diver comes onto SB to learn about everything. Many go into a local dive shop and ask what they need. You are calling them a fool because they listened to the so called experienced professionals? They know no better and over time I am sure they will learn but to call them a fool is foolish IMO.

I was not addressing new divers, they tend to inherit the traits of their instructors. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Sorry you read this into it. Calling them a fool is not really foolish since it is truthful to an extent, but it is just rude and I did not mean to be.

FWIW, over the years I've accumulated three jackets, two backplates, three wings, one harness (Transpac) and two backpacks.
I find all of them to be satisfactory for the dives where I use them.
Whatever trips your trigger :)

E

one of my pet peeves - the myth that a bp/w does not travel well. i travel with my SS bp all over the place.
1. it packs very small. the bp goes in the bottom of your carry-on and takes up no room. the wing rolls or folds to almost nothing. all told, it takes up less room than a standard BC.
2. the weight argument makes little sense. just do the numbers: a standard SS bp weighs 5-6lbs. add the d-rings and the wing. plenty of "standard" BCs weigh in at 7+ lbs. there are a few travel BCs that come with compromises and weigh less than 5lbs (excl. weight pockets). so the difference in weight between a standard BC and a bp/w setup is insignificant and in many cases the SS bp/w is actually lighter. not to mention that if you pack it into your carry-on, weight does not even matter because they do not weigh your carry-on except for a few flights to very exotic destinations on island hopper planes. in those cases you theoretically may have to pay for an extra 3-4lbs over the weight of the very lightest travel BCs. That's a very minor charge. it becomes outright ridiculous when put in perspective to the cost of a trip to such an exotic island locale.

+1

Typically, I can put my entire dive setup into a carry on bag that fits in the overhead. This includes BP/W an LED flashlight, reg set, mask, fins and computer. I've also got enough room in there to throw my travel kit and a change of clothes in case my luggage got lost.

Another benefit is that in my experience, BPW don't take as long to dry out. That's another reason I recommend them to people who are traveling.

:rofl3: I fly. Carry-on limits just aren't what they used to be.

So do I, w/ my aluminum BP/W, have you ever actually weighed one or seen how neatly they fold up? While I've never taken the time to weigh my AL BP/W rig I'm guessing it can't be more than 6lbs., and WAY less bulky than a jacket style BCD. Pretty damned travel friendly I'd say.

I was not aware of this - from my friends who dive BP/w I had assumed that the weight was on the order of #15+...

So by your own admission you are questioning a product you know virtually nothing about? That's just brilliant.:shakehead:

You know the saying...«if you walk in another mans shoes you would know what they are thinking.( some derivative of that)...anywho....if you have not tried a BP/w yoi can not give someone and educated opinion of said BP/w...

Many have started off with the standard BC,,,,they got educated and have moved to a BP/W set up because of choice. so the point is...you choose what works best for you. Those that have swung both ways can offer and educated opinion on said BP/W vs BC....

As for travel. My rig is just around 15lbs +/- when all put together. (SS back plate of 6lbs, STA of 6lbs then add the harness and ss d rings) So it travels very well anywhere. Also add about 4.5lbs for back up lights...good to go for basically anytype of diving anywhere. If I do need to lighten up the bag then I switch to my Alu plate....I shed about 5 pounds in total.

It boils down to each his/her own and what works best for you. Simple. SO giving advise on a subject one is not familiar with...should sit in the corner and listen, then go and try it, then come back and give a review of the experience.

So by your own admission you are questioning a product you know virtually nothing about? That's just brilliant.:shakehead:

Actually I think his issue was with BP/W being the solution to every one of life's problems for some people. I have seen it with a couple people and just walked away from it.

I am just now moving to the "grown-up table" with a BP/W but have enjoyed every single one of my dives with my poodle jacket :D (even if I do look like a stroke :rofl3:).

Actually I think his issue was with BP/W being the solution to every one of life's problems for some people.

OMG that's brilliant! If we could get everyone diving BPW, we could eliminate crime on Bonaire!

I am just now moving to the "grown-up table" with a BP/W but have enjoyed every single one of my dives with my poodle jacket :D (even if I do look like a stroke :rofl3:).

Might wanna change that diaper in your Av before you sit down at the table. IJS...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom