Canadian diver and buddy rescued near Apo Island, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Canadian diver was an instructor. His buddy was a client. The boat crew were the Canadian’s colleagues.

The Canadian “saw” the boat crew “looking” for them. But for whatever reason, they couldn’t see them. Maybe his SMB was too small? Maybe the sun was blinding the crew? A mirror and Dive Alert sound maker might’ve helped but the original Nautilus Lifeline with two-way radio would’ve been even better in this circumstance as the boat was within line of sight.

It was also reported that the crew went into the water looking for them, fearing that something had gone wrong under water.

Since the crew went into the water looking for the lost divers, the crew should have noticed the fast current & asked the captain to continue searching in the downstream direction of the current at least for the first critical hours after the divers went in & losing the bubble trails.

Since the crew went into the water looking for the lost divers, the crew should have noticed the fast current & asked the captain to continue searching in the downstream direction of the current at least for the first critical hours after the divers went in & losing the bubble trails.

They probably did. I’m not familiar with Philippines diving and don’t know how equipped the boat was, but at some point, they must’ve decided calling the coast guard was more prudent.

Here’s more info, 2 videos:

Ontario diver rescued in Philippines after drifting 24km over nine hours at sea

The video entitled, “Extended: Ont diver rescued at sea tells his tale” has a lot of info, told by the Canadian diver himself.

(Oops, the link is the same link as in my original post, but you have to watch the news clips for all the extra info from the diver himself.)

He says the boat was “another company’s boat” and that they saw the boat not moving (i.e., on a mooring line) for over an hour before the boat left. Apparently, during this time, the crew was in the water looking for them.

Wow, this is the most public information that I’ve ever witnessed after an incident of this magnitude. Since the instructor was Canadian, the Canadian news outlets did quite a detailed account of his experience.

Last edited:
That's an awesome account. smh
Sure makes one think

That's an awesome account. smh
Sure makes one think

It does and more reason I’m going to get outfitted with all of the safety gear, as @Dan_T has done: SMB, mirror, whistle, Dive Alert, PLB, light and backup. I’m going to add “tether” to that list, based on this incident. And also the emergency blanket that @DandyDon (IIRC) always recommends. Heck I might also throw in a Nautilus Lifeline 2-way radio if I can get my hands on one.

These folks were “lucky” that the passing boat heard their screaming. If the crew on that boat were not paying attention, I’m not sure what the outcome would’ve been. The diver didn’t mention searching by the coast guard...hmmm.

He's really shook up.

I doff my dive beanie to the other diver for getting right back in the water and at the same area to boot!

As for you, figure out some way to turn sea water into drinking water and carry that with you too. :wink:

@Dan_T I'm interested in knowing more about your PLB......my understanding is that they are not waterproof to the depths that recreational divers would go to. How do you keep yours functioning? :) I considered a Nautilus Lifeline (the original) and then they went and changed it but am now interested in keeping my options open and exploring it a bit more, especially because since I first considered the Lifeline, I've been in way more remote places than before. :)

He's really shook up.

I doff my dive beanie to the other diver for getting right back in the water and at the same area to boot!

As for you, figure out some way to turn sea water into drinking water and carry that with you too. :wink:

No desalination tablet that I can toss into my canister that I’m aware of yet! :D

@Dan_T I'm interested in knowing more about your PLB......my understanding is that they are not waterproof to the depths that recreational divers would go to. How do you keep yours functioning? :) I considered a Nautilus Lifeline (the original) and then they went and changed it but am now interested in keeping my options open and exploring it a bit more, especially because since I first considered the Lifeline, I've been in way more remote places than before. :)

I used an old Sony camera case that I bought in eBay for $10. The case is smaller than 500ml water bottle & fit nicely in my BCD waist pocket.

I’ve carried it for diving for more that a year now, logging more than 130 dives with it in my BCD pocket. The latest depth I took it down to 147’ (44m). The PLB1 stayed dry. The clear case makes it easy if there is any leak or condensation in it,

B1A038AE-6877-4257-B2E1-8DF739D3BD73.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom