Console vs Wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am undecided between the OC1 Wireless Air Integrated wristwatch and the Atomic Cobalt Console. Can someone please provide some feedback on which might be a better option for me?
@RonP: Tough choice. Both are impressive-looking diving instruments.

If it were me, I'd have to take a long, hard look at getting a relatively inexpensive dive computer ($200-$250) and spending the difference on other scuba-related items, e.g., any other necessary scuba equipment (tanks, drysuit, regs, SMB), training classes (AOW, Rescue), dive vacations, local dive charters, etc.

I am undecided between the OC1 Wireless Air Integrated wristwatch and the Atomic Cobalt Console. Can someone please provide some feedback on which might be a better option for me? I love the idea of having a wireless air integrated device and have read the OC1 manual from top to bottom. Basicly a bit complicated but after reading and understanding it does everything needed so it seems. The price has also come down cosiderably. I've viewed the video and the virtual tutorial of the Atomic Cobalt on it's website and ofcourse was impressed by the ease of use and functions but it's a bulky console...what to do?
I'd strongly suggest you play with both in person- go through setting them up as you would for diving. Even using them in the shop for a few minutes will give a much better picture than looking at manuals or tutorials. Picture yourself using them in diving situations you typically encounter- i.e. photos, night, local, travel. Do you dive where you use a compass regularly?
It's hard to say how important the wrist mount option is for any individual. It's definitely a deal breaker for some. Others (usually older divers) have trouble reading a small wristwatch configuration. I wish I could say that the Cobalt wrist mount was here, but it's not- yet. :D

@RonP: Tough choice. Both are impressive-looking diving instruments.

If it were me, I'd have to take a long, hard look at getting a relatively inexpensive dive computer ($200-$250) and spending the difference on other scuba-related items, e.g., any other necessary scuba equipment (tanks, drysuit, regs, SMB), training classes (AOW, Rescue), dive vacations, local dive charters, etc.

Thank you for the advise. If I go with a wrist device I really want the compass and AI included. Are there any wrist computers that are in that price range that have both and are not conventional in Algorithim? I do see that the more experienced divers here and elsewhere many just wear wrist computers that are not AI and they are fine because they know how much air they use through experience. But I'm new to all this so I'm not familiar with how much air I intake yet to just have a seperate air gauge if it's not AI. I like the idea of the computer calculating everything for me (Air use, ART, no deco etc) since I'm just learning and at various times tend to use more air than others. Not to be brass but price is not that much of an issue for me...well it always is but not as much and would prefer to pay for something that makes my diving experience as pleasant as possible. I'm at crossroads between wanting to be as streamlined as possible with not wanting hoses, drag, dangling items and having to search for the console. The AI wrist devices offers convenience and the functions I need. Main concern is reliability of device and transmitter and possible readout size. When I look at the Cobalt console I'm wowed by the ease, functions and ease but what discourages me is the size, bulkiness and having to deal with the hose/positioning etc. ay vey...it's like comparing apples and oranges :confused:

I'd strongly suggest you play with both in person- go through setting them up as you would for diving. Even using them in the shop for a few minutes will give a much better picture than looking at manuals or tutorials. Picture yourself using them in diving situations you typically encounter- i.e. photos, night, local, travel. Do you dive where you use a compass regularly?
It's hard to say how important the wrist mount option is for any individual. It's definitely a deal breaker for some. Others (usually older divers) have trouble reading a small wristwatch configuration. I wish I could say that the Cobalt wrist mount was here, but it's not- yet. :D

Thank you for your feedback. I've played with both in store and like them both for different reasons (as stated on my last post above). Good idea in thinking through dive scenarios and how I would use both. I travel for my dives...not really interested in cold water diving and have never dove locally here in San Francisco. Like tropical to warm clear waters. I like the idea of the compass because when I dive I do tend to wander and have in many cases wandered way off course from boat or shore point and the compass on either of these two would allow me to find my way back (based on the videos/tutorials). Readability fortunately is not yet an issue since I don't need reading glasses (yet). I SOOOOO wish the Cobalt wrist mount was available...It would make my decision so easy...Def would get it but it's not so I'm tortured with having to make this decision....Damn Atomic LOL

Thank you for the advise. If I go with a wrist device I really want the compass and AI included. Are there any wrist computers that are in that price range that have both and are not conventional in Algorithim? I do see that the more experienced divers here and elsewhere many just wear wrist computers that are not AI and they are fine because they know how much air they use through experience. But I'm new to all this so I'm not familiar with how much air I intake yet to just have a seperate air gauge if it's not AI. I like the idea of the computer calculating everything for me (Air use, ART, no deco etc) since I'm just learning and at various times tend to use more air than others. Not to be brass but price is not that much of an issue for me...well it always is but not as much and would prefer to pay for something that makes my diving experience as pleasant as possible. I'm at crossroads between wanting to be as streamlined as possible with not wanting hoses, drag, dangling items and having to search for the console. The AI wrist devices offers convenience and the functions I need. Main concern is reliability of device and transmitter and possible readout size. When I look at the Cobalt console I'm wowed by the ease, functions and ease but what discourages me is the size, bulkiness and having to deal with the hose/positioning etc. ay vey...it's like comparing apples and oranges :confused:

Air integration is far from being a necessity. However that goes for most gadgets in scuba diving nowadays. If you like AI computer then by one. Who cares what others thinnk about it? It's your money and spend it as you see fit. I like AI computer. I dive enough now to know what my SAC and RMV are, and can figure on the fly how much gas time I have left, but guess what? I still like AI function on my computers and the next one that I buy will be an AI computer.

Try to look at the UEMIS computer. Good display size, bright colors, wrist mounted and AI capable. Also easy to use. Instead of four buttons, they have three sliding levers.

I'm afraid I haven't read all this thread, so I apologise if this has been said before. (1) I would always wear a computer on the wrist, so it is easily readable on an ascent when you need real-time information on your depth and on times for deco. Once upon a time I used a console and there were times when it was incredibly inconvenient. (2) Never rely on a computer for your air pressure - they fail way more often than standard SPGs. (3) With experience you'll find you rarely check your SPG - I suppose I check mine four or five times a dive. That can easily be left to a console. (4) Gas-integrated computers which rely on radio transmission are often unreliable, as they are prone to losing their signal.

My standard kit for recreational diving includes two wrist mount watch-style computers, the main one being DiveRite, the secondary Suunto. For technical diving I add an appropriate computer to my wrist, if necessary removing the Suunto. Every tank I have with me has its own SPG, readily identifiable.

For a compass I use one attached to my BC somewhere appropriate. When I want to use it I detach it and hold it in front of me with both hands, to minimise errors. I've tried using console-mounted compasses and have always found the arrangement unsatisfactory. I don't want it on my wrist when I'm using it, whether integrated into my computer or separate. I don't use a computer with integrated compass partly because I don't own one, but the reason I don't own one is that I can't see any point. I often want to refer to my computer whilst I'm using a compass, and with an integrated one that's impossible.

I go for simplicity in all things - easier to manage underwater when there may be other things on your mind, and fewer failure points.

I am undecided between the OC1 Wireless Air Integrated wristwatch and the Atomic Cobalt Console. Can someone please provide some feedback on which might be a better option for me? I love the idea of having a wireless air integrated device and have read the OC1 manual from top to bottom. Basicly a bit complicated but after reading and understanding it does everything needed so it seems. The price has also come down cosiderably. I've viewed the video and the virtual tutorial of the Atomic Cobalt on it's website and ofcourse was impressed by the ease of use and functions but it's a bulky console...what to do?

I don't know if anyone has put this thought in your head yet but an AI computer will monitor your tank pressure that the sensor is connected to only. If you get involved with Tech diving than you will be switching between tanks and different mixes throughout the dive making an AI computer impractical. If I had the money I would get it for the "poops and giggles" of it all but when I get to the tech diving capabilities some time far off in the future I would end up using Brass and Glass SPG's making that investment unnecessary. If you end up diving with a pony tank than you would have a gauge on that too unless your watch had the Buddy Monitoring feature in which you could possibly buy a second wireless sensor for it... Another thing to consider is the reliability. Pressure sensors fail and batteries wear out. A transmitter is one more failure point that could create complications on a dive and could be a fairly abrupt end to a dive vacation if it happened on a live-aboard. There's a better chance that an extra Brass and Glass would be kicking around on a boat than a replacement set of batteries or a new sensor to match your model of computer. I'm not saying that it will fail but having used electronic pressure gauges in refrigeration I know that it does happen. I would also assume (and this really is only an assumption) that the wireless signal would be more of a drain, albeit minimal, on the batteries making the user replaceable feature more important to me.

In short, I think the reason the more experienced are saying that it's not necessary to have AI is because not only can they guess their gas consumption better but more important because it is impractical for the multi tank dives that they do and the simple reliability of a Brass & Glass. If your plans only include single tank dives than it's a luxury that you may decide you want. I got to admit, I think it would be kinda fun to see my gas use on the computer screen with the rest of my dive profile.

(Maybe someone with Tech diving experience would be willing to confirm my concerns with the AI computers and multi tank use...)

(Maybe someone with Tech diving experience would be willing to confirm my concerns with the AI computers and multi tank use...)

If the diver is using multiple tanks, then they will also be using multiple gasses of different composition (deco nitrox, trimix etc). Multi-gas is more of an issue than a multi-tank/multi-sensor function.

Personally, I don't know any OC tech divers who use AI computer for multi-gas dives.

However, it's not really an issue for the OP now. By the time the OP is ready for tech training...and requires a multi-tank, multi-gas AI computer then it is quite possible that the technology available will have evolved considerably.

If I go with a wrist device I really want the compass and AI included. Are there any wrist computers that are in that price range that have both and are not conventional in Algorithim?

What do you mean 'not conventional in algorithim'?

I do see that the more experienced divers here and elsewhere many just wear wrist computers that are not AI and they are fine because they know how much air they use through experience.

I don't want to sound pendantic, but we learnt through experience because we didn't rely on AI computers to do run our dives for us. I do think that you might be depriving yourself of this future experience building if you opt for an AI computer, but don't back that up with manual brain-powered dive control.

But I'm new to all this so I'm not familiar with how much air I intake yet to just have a seperate air gauge if it's not AI. I like the idea of the computer calculating everything for me (Air use, ART, no deco etc) since I'm just learning and at various times tend to use more air than others.

It is hugely beneficial to deal with your 'gas management' at the pre-dive planning stage. If you have planned your gas requirements, then a basic SPG is all you need to track those. Your intended use of AI and computer features is akin to a scuba diving 'auto-pilot', where you can abdicate all responsibility for gas management and NDL to your computer.

Abdicating responsibility for your dives - whether to another individual or to a computer, is not the best long-term skill development strategy.

The AI wrist devices offers convenience and the functions I need.

Lets be clear between want and need. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting an AI computer with all those functions. Some of the contributors on this thread have clearly identified that you don't need that. I agree with them. But then, we all buy stuff that we want...that's the fun of it :)

You could cut the compass from your list of specifications. Get a regular compass, remove the wrist straps, attach it to a bolt clip..store it in your BCD pocket. Same function (actually easier to use) at a fraction of the cost.

You could disregard the AI function and use a naked brass SPG. Spend a few evenings getting familiar with the wealth of information about 'gas management' available here on SB. Practice planning and calculating your gas requirements and consumption. When you go diving, make a point of developing good instinctive skills, especially concerning your overall dive awareness (buddy, depth, time, NDL and gas).

My advice is that, regardless of which option you take, you should endeavor to not abdicate responsibility for your diving to the computer. Pre-plan your gas management. There are many threads here on SB that provide knowledge on how to do that... search for 'Rock Bottom Gas Management', 'SAC' and 'RMV'.

If you don't do that, then your reliance on the computer will surely have a detrimental effect on your skill development...especially those skills which pertain to technical diving (which you may consider in the future).

My guess is that Atomic Aquatics for their first computer did not want to have to deal with wireless technology. There are lots of reports of problems with wireless air integration so they probably want to wait to get it right. You can be sure when they do come out with wireless AI the price will be even higher.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom