Creepy things found diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rules and regulations are different all over the world. Most of what you do underwater is up to your own feelings of the "right thing" to do. Human remains found underwater should be marked if possible and authorities notified. Depending on the depth they may request you recover them. Some Public Safety Diver orgs. will not go below a set depth for thier own safety. You can report bones as well but may not get much assistance if the location does not fit a disapearance.

The US has declared any Military or Naval wreckage thier property and thus protected, however, very difficult to police. Brits have the same "gravesite" issues, however, both countries have been known to salvage these "gravesites" if valuables are contained.......you as the public may not! Once again, do YOU feel its wrong to take something YOU found underwater.

In Canada the Reciever of Wrecks owns anything underwater. You have to file a claim and then they keep it for one year. If insurance companies, historians and Goverment don't care about your find, you can then keep it.

After alot of work helping our dive recovery teams and watching them in action and seeing, working with etc some of the unfortunate souls lost in the depths I would do as one of the previous posters and shoot a marker bag then call in the boys who are being paid.

As far as the "gravesite" issue this seems to be more of a modern view point or one of convienience. In the past most ship wrecks that could be, were plundered and alot of the bodies stripped of valuables. Things were looked upon as "Treasure" instead of grave robbing. Its up to how YOU feel and what YOU want others to be able to see.

If you look at the Empress of Ireland, the local diver stripped as much as he could over many years. Then he got mad when others were doing the same so he had the Quebec Government turn it into a protected site, no one is now allowed to take anything. You would think that the guy would have turned over his loot to a museum and indeed some items made it. The kicker is he tried to sell most of it to the highest US bidder until the Canadian Goverment squashed it.

I had to change a surfacing location at one point due to finding and older person (lady??) in a G-string (and flabby buttcheeks) standing 15' from me in the very place I had planned to stand up and walk out of the water at... my buddy was much braver than I!

syruss32:
I know for a fact the Anti-Christ was a woman because I was married to her 4 years, 360 days too long!

Anti-Christ? That's just incredible, I had no idea my ex-wife was married once before I met her. LMAO!

CBulla:
I had to change a surfacing location at one point due to finding and older person (lady??) in a G-string (and flabby buttcheeks) standing 15' from me in the very place I had planned to stand up and walk out of the water at... my buddy was much braver than I!

What the heck is this all about???? More details please!!

it was only my second night dive ever and i was still a little nervous about the limited viz but excited after the previous nights wonders (saw a 4ft reef shark amongst others critters).. on the descent, i was trying to be sure not to shine my light in any other divers eyes down below and at the same time pinch my nose and clear my ears, so i was a little wobbly when i first saw it.. it was another diver's glove hovering in the water near the line. i was slowly getting closer to it and my heart began to speed up because it was just dark enough that i couldnt tell if there was a person attached to that glove. once i got close enough to see there was no body attached, my mind began REELING that i was about to find only a PIECE of a body in that glove... I inched my way to it with that horrible JAWS theme running in my head and this little voice telling me, "DONT REACH OUT AND GET IT YOU CRAZY GIRL!! THAT'S WHEN IT WILL GET YOU TOO!" ..hehe.. turned out to be just a glove.. but it was creepy for a while :D

I did a dive about a year ago in a cave in the Yucatan that has 117 human craniums in it. I posted the trip report here on the board, but someone requested it be removed because it was an archaeologically sensitive site (although I didnt reveal where it was and photos of it had been published in National Geographic) maybe a mod can bring it back from the archives, there were some killer photos.

Finding a body underwater was and still is one of my biggest phobias about diving.
The currents that we have around here bring in all kinds of "things" from all over the ocean, and I don't want to be the one to find them.

ages:
We were diving today at a spot where we find lots of old steamship pottery....and found the right side of a human skull!! :eek: It had been underwater a long time....we dive this area frequently and have never found anything like this there. Very creepy....so I am wondering what other creepy things have been found?

At a recent underwater cleanup event nere the local pier this one diver brings up some kind of stainless steel container. Turns out it's an urn, the kind they place people's ashes in . Turns out the things are pretty well made with thread on lids and bases. The contents and lid were not recovered

Other years they've found handguns off the end of the peir

Barracuda2:
I've been diving for our local Sheriff's Dept. since 1973. When we have to search for a drowning victim in black water, which is most of the time, I'm still creeped out when bump into him/her even though I've done it several times. Your try to prepared yourself for it, but it is still startling when you actually run into the victim.

I second that. Other then that, nothing creepy. One of my biggest diving fears is finding a body when I'm diving and NOT looking for one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom