Crotch-straps not on all BC's=RIDICULOUS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JB:
The only big difficulty is dropping the weight belt! How are you supposed to do this with a crotch strap?

Put the weight belt on last, after the BC and over the crotch strap.

Maybe they wear it not only while diving but working in the yard as well. :eyebrow:

I decided to replace my jacket BC with a Zeagle Express Tech and got the optional crotch strap. This will be my first BC with a crotch strap.

The Zeagle just got here yesterday, and I hope to play with it in the pool this weekend.

I have to admit, my crotch is a little nervous. :D

Yup, I added a "seat harness" (I was a climber before a diver...had no idea what a crotch strap was) to my BC after about my third dive with my back-inflate BC. I was new and was absolutely certain that bonified, serious, know-everything, experienced divers would criticize my "ignorant", newbie, DIY solution to the problem of my BC riding up a bit when on the surface. I was ever fearful that they would note how my weightbelt was over the straps and say, "Ya know, yer never gonna be able to take off that BC underwater without ditching yer weights. Yer gonna die!"

Well, I've never had to remove my BC underwater, and furthermore not one diver I've met has ever even commented on my home-made configuration other to say, "Seat harness? Cool! Wish I'd thought of that."

I would have to ask what the root cause of the BC riding up is.
Is your BC the wrong size?
Is your BC not the best design for your body?
Is your BC weight integrated?
Are you properly weighted so that you don't have to over inflate the BC at the surface?
I have a BP with a crotch strap, but I tuck it away and don't need it for typical dives. I never have a problem with my BC riding up on me.

If the BC fits you shouldn't need a crotch strap.

Jacket design BCDs fill air pockets that surround the divers' torso. Whether they are full, or empty, will change the fit. You get a jacket that is contricting on the surface when inflated and/or wobbly on the bottom when empty.

I would have to ask what the root cause of the BC riding up is.
Is your BC the wrong size?
Is your BC not the best design for your body?
Is your BC weight integrated?
Are you properly weighted so that you don't have to over inflate the BC at the surface?
I have a BP with a crotch strap, but I tuck it away and don't need it for typical dives. I never have a problem with my BC riding up on me.
Nor have I... never been an issue with either my Zeagle or Transpac (which came with one). Only time I've ever had either ride up, even slightly, was GS'ing off the boat with an inflated wing...

Back
Top Bottom