Crotch-straps not on all BC's=RIDICULOUS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So after dealing with a rising/shifting BC for quite a while, it finally dawned on me that I could probably just add a crotch strap. I went to an LDS (Wiley's Scuba Locker) and bought one for about $10. PROBLEM SOLVED! I can't believe 2 things: 1) that I dealt with the rising/shifting BC for so long before doing something about it, and 2) that a crotch-strap isn't standard on all BC's. It probably would probably cost manufacturers something like $2 to add one of these and they make a HUGE difference. So anyway, If you have a BC without a crotch-strap ADD ONE...well worth your money.

P7050009.JPG

Yep.

I've made the argument for years and it has never seemed to get much traction. One of the biggest reasons the BP/W is stable is because of the crotch strap. Adding one to a jacket Bc delivers a similar improvement.

I've never felt the need or desire to add one to my jacket style BCD's. I guess they just fit me right and don't move around. As an instructor, it adds an extra step if I need to get out of my gear quickly and it's an uncommon addition you'd need to explain to a buddy.

The only big difficulty is dropping the weight belt! How are you supposed to do this with a crotch strap?

I have one on my zeagle ranger and in the few applications I use it with a weightharness it has been outstanding. The down side to it though is on the surface it can in some cases tend to give a power wedgie LOL.

Under the waves though it has to be a God send to non integrated BCDs as you dont get that bcd on the chin feeling.

I dive both a jacket bcd as well as a BI and don't ever have a problem with my bcd riding up on me. My bcd's fit great. I have dove a BP/W on four occasions and I hated the feel of the crotch strap. For that reason alone I'd never own a BP/W.

It kinda looks like it might be a fold-out shovel.

Indeed... the fold out shovel to do a little repotting, and the secateurs on the right for pruning. That would explain a lot actually :wink:

Back
Top Bottom