Crotch-straps not on all BC's=RIDICULOUS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what I've gotten out of this thread is: The OP is amazed that all BCDs don't come with crotch straps...However about half of the other posters don't need or want one. I guess they should make it an option!!

It's funny what some people worry about. I don't have any ditchable weight in my warm water gear, and when I wear my drysuit I have the weight belt UNDER my bc straps. The absolute last thing I want is for my weight belt to get opened un-noticed and fall off (even though that is a very small possibility). That could be a deadly ride.

I think the whole "ditchable weight" is a holdover from bad teaching practices of seriously over-weighting students for training dives.

Ditching weightbelts is as old as diving itself. They used to teach to ditch your belt for skindiving and still do for freediving if you get in trouble.
When scuba started there were no BC's and ditching your belt was the only safety device you had. Back then it was transfered from skin diving, and today it's a hangover from early scuba.

The whole over weighted open water student is an entirely different subject.

I'd never wear one and would throw it out if it came with one.

I've never felt the need or desire to add one to my jacket style BCD's. I guess they just fit me right and don't move around. As an instructor, it adds an extra step if I need to get out of my gear quickly and it's an uncommon addition you'd need to explain to a buddy.

I've not found explaining different gear to a buddy to be a problem. Around here you see plenty of crotch straps.

But is it really a Warhammer if you're not in the middle of the water colum?

definitely '+1' for a crotch strap......I can't even conceive of diving without one, it's an integral part of my 'kit' and helps my gear become 'one' with me...no slop/sliding/loseness...have gotten a few snide comments from recreational divers, and I usually just smile the smile that says " I know you don't 'get it', and you never will, so I won't waste my breath..."

I personally do NOT like crotch straps. Primarily because they slow down the gearing up process and they complicate the removal of the weightbelt. A long time ago, I was taught with a horse collar BC and it was absolutely drilled into our heads that the weight belt goes OVER the BC straps. This was not a problem then because we donned the BC, then the weight belt then the tank harness. Possibly this aversion is a relic from archaic training, but for me, the prejudice AGAINST "trapping" the weight belt under a harness is an issue.

So my crotch straps all have fastex plastic Quick releases (which also allow on the fly adjustments with a quick tug of the belt) and I also integrate an eleastic component to my crotch strap to improve comfort and mobility. I also make them instantly removalable by inclusion of a bolt snap at the base of the backplate area.

I generally try to avoid using a crotch strap, but for coldwater diving, with significant suit compression (which necessitates carrying significant air in the BC at depth), a crotch strap makes my BP/W ride noticably better. It helps make my jacket BC ride better too.

I think a considerable portion of the dislike for jacket BC's (especially from the BP/W Crowd) is due to looseness or sloppiness of the BC harness. This can easily be remedied with the addition of a crotch strap... functioning the same as it does for a BP/W.

If you have not tried a crotch strap on a jacket BC, then you might be surprised at how different the BC feels.

Under the waves though it has to be a God send to non integrated BCDs as you dont get that bcd on the chin feeling. <emphasis added>
Interesting observation.

I've never had any problem with the BCD riding up.

I thought it was because it fit well.

Your comment about non-integrated BCDs makes me wonder if the reason I don't have the problem is because I have lead weights in the BCD.

On the other hand, I never have any problem when I invert to look in holes and stuff.

If I get ambitious, I'll pull out the lead, put some air in my old SeaQuest ProQD and see if it has a problem when used as a non-integrated BCD.

I wonder how many of the people with rising BCD problem have non-integrated vs integrated weighting.

Ditching weightbelts is as old as diving itself. They used to teach to ditch your belt for skindiving and still do for freediving if you get in trouble.
When scuba started there were no BC's and ditching your belt was the only safety device you had. Back then it was transfered from skin diving, and today it's a hangover from early scuba.

The whole over weighted open water student is an entirely different subject.

Jacket design BCDs fill air pockets that surround the divers' torso. Whether they are full, or empty, will change the fit. You get a jacket that is contricting on the surface when inflated and/or wobbly on the bottom when empty.

Both quotes above explain a lot about misconceptions of gear. ZKY's people are always wondering where do I put the weight belt. O my god the crotch strap gets in the way of my weight belt. Does it go under or over? If over how do I ditch it? The fact is have any diver in the past 10 years had to ditch "their" weight belt? When I ware a weight belt it goes nice and neat UNDER my crotch strap. If I am useing my steel tanks I dont even ware a weight belt. Yes I said it I don't have ditchable weight.

Andy hit the nail on the head of why people in jacket style BC's (not BI ones) want a crotch strap. I HATE my jacket BC and only use it in the pool if I am diving it is with my BP/W with crotch strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom