Curacao Diving, lodging and dining Recommendations for early July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jim,

It would be easier to pick up some groceries before you get to Westpunt since the stores are a half hour away from the Lodge.

From the airport exit right and at the rotary go half way around. Please note, there are triangular signs in the rotary. If there is an arrow in it, you have the right of way. If it is empty you must stop for incoming traffic even if you are in the rotary.
At the 1st set of lights, if you take a left and drive to a set of lights, Cost U Less is on the right. It has US beef but is more like a warehouse store with a lot of groceries. On the left is L'Esperamos. It's a fairly good size and is considered a local store.
From the rotary if you drive to the 2nd set of lights and take a right, Centrum will be immediately on your left. It is also a good size store and might feel more American. If you arrive on a late plane, Oassis is a ways past Centrum and opened until 9 (8 on Sundays). Look for a sign on the right.
Another note; at L'esperamos and Centrum you must take the items out of your carriage and put it on the belt and leave the carriage. It will not fit next to the belt. Someone will come and take it away. The bagger will bag everything and bring it to your car. I usually tip a guilder for every hundred I spend. A guilder is worth 57 cents. An easy calculation would be to multiply by 6 and divide by 10. In other words round off 10 guilders to $6.00. The baggers are not paid by the stores. They buy their own T-shirts and rotate for tips. You'll often find someone willing to pump your gas for a couple of guilders as well.

In Banda Bou, the West side there are 2 stores and a few very small tokos. In Terra Cora you will find California Market, a Botika (drug store), a gas station (gas is over $5 a gal.), an ATM, a bakery a doctor and a vet. In Barber there is a gas station, fire station and ambulance, bank, 2 bakeries and I think an (store bought) ice cream store - I haven't been in it. Across from the church there is a road that leads to beach (south) side. At the bottom of the hill there is a small store called Barbara but at the top of the hill is a large green building Centro MM. It will have almost anything you would need except produce if you are staying in Westpunt or Lagun.

Landhuis Daniels and Dokterstuin are now restaurants. Landhuises Ascension (1st Sunday of the month), Knip and Santa Marta also have food. Habitat and Sunset Waters and the Lodge Kura Hulanda have restaurants. You can eat at the beaches at Porto Marie, Cas Abou, Lagun and Playa Kalki and snacks at Knip and maybe Daibooi. For other dining options you have the Butterfly Garden, Villa Monte, Playa Forte, Jaanchies, here at Sol Food and at any number of Chinese snack shacks. On an east side note; I like the loempias best at the Alaska Shack or On Wan. On Sunday Mornings there is a local market in Barber and you'll also find local food at Boca Shete/Tabla. On Sunday nights there is a BBQ in Barber and on Thursday nights there is one in Lagun. You won't go hungry on the west end.

There is a beach restaurant at the Lodge and 2 at the hotel. It's nice to sit on the terrace but ask for both menus as they are different.

I'm sure we'll run into you, please stop by and visit. if you'd like some company on your first couple of dives, let us know. We often accompany our guests on their self imposed "check out dives". The staff at Ocean Encounters West is very nice and you will love the house reef; Alice In Wonderland at Playa Kalki. See you next week! Sunshine

I hope you are as excited as I am to be only one week away from some GREAT diving! I will be there at the same time as your group. Would like to hook up for some dives, traveling by myself, staying at Habitat, have rental truck. Doing boat dives each day with easy divers, but would like to do some shore dives as well but need a buddy or 2. Really want to get some night dives in!
Talk LTR,
Dragon

Dragon,
Definitely give us a buzz or stop by once you get to the island. Our number in Westpunt is 864-0005. We're on the road to Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland/Lodge Kura Hulanda, about a 20 minute drive from your hotel. Habitat has a reciprocal tank rental with Ocean Encounters West. You and Jim can dive together on your respective house reefs. David likes night dives, I'm sure you can count on him as a nocturnal buddy. Drop us an email if you'd like our notes on the area. Sunshine
curacaosunshine@gmail.com
PS I'd love some shelled sunflower seeds from a grocery store (Planters or any brand) if anyone is headed to Banda Bou (west end) soonish and has room for a couple of jars in their luggage.

Hi Sunshine!!!! Missing you guys already!

Just got back from Curacao Thursday. I'll give a better trip report but I just wanted to let everyone know that they have to check out Sunshine's Sol Food (Fri/Sat/Sun) for lunch or dinner in Westpunt. We had such a great time visiting with Sunshine & David while enjoying delicious pizza and other homecooked meals and REALLY GOOD CHOCOLATE MUFFINS! Not only did we visit with them but also met up with some other Scubaboarders and Curacao locals! It was unlike any other trip we've been on. We also did a boat dive with Ocean Encounters West and I highly recommend them as well. They were very professional, yet fun and we enjoyed the small afternoon group we set out with to WATAMULA (probably my favorite site of them all). Met Andreas and some of the other OEW staff and all were very nice. Their house reef (Alice in Wonderland) was also one of my favorite dives with incredible fomations. I wish we were still there! Thanks all for such a great trip!

Hey Sunshine I sent an e-mail your way to your gmail account from my comcast.net address.

Can anyone tell me about liability and personal injury insurance while driving a rental car in Curacao? I have not found any place to buy it from my company or any other. I tried AIG and my company does not cover outside the US and its territories.

The rental car company National only sells coverage for the car only, besides my credit card covers the car.

Hi Dragonhd,

If you stay at Habitat and you are on a dive package (including shore diving) with Easy Divers, you can come to see us and dive Alice in Wonderland without having to bring your own tanks. Just ask Easy Divers to call Ocean Encounters West to announce when you are coming.

See you on Curacao soon, I hope :)

Andreas
..:: Ocean Encounters West ::..
..:: All West Curacao ::..

Hey Sunshine I sent an e-mail your way to your gmail account from my comcast.net address.

Can anyone tell me about liability and personal injury insurance while driving a rental car in Curacao? I have not found any place to buy it from my company or any other. I tried AIG and my company does not cover outside the US and its territories.

The rental car company National only sells coverage for the car only, besides my credit card covers the car.

If you have an amex card you can get their primary insurance. $25 or less depending on how much coverage you want. It covers everything, and is beyond what the 'normal' credit card rider covers. It's billed when you actually rent the car and there are no subscription or other fees involved.

Dragon, I sent you an email but sometimes Comcast does not like incoming mail from foreign countries. If you didn't get it check your spam box. Have a good flight, we hope to see you next week. Fixxer, we'll see you as well! Other scubaboarders, if you come by the house during the week, give a holler at the right hand gate and say hello.
Sunshine

We (Robin & Jim) plan on eating at Sol Food Saturday night! Look forward to saying hello. We are excited!!! If we are too beat to make dinner Saturday night we will stop in Sunday, our trek to the airport starts at 2 AM Saturday....fun, fun, fun.

Back
Top Bottom