Cutting tool: Best value for money ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case of a unexpected entanglement emergency.
Trilobite and trauma shears. Re trauma shears, I bought a whole box when I realized that they can lose cutting ability even when never used to cut something.

In case of a unexpected entanglement emergency.

It would depend on the entanglement, what tool would work. As an example, a line cutter will not work on rope.

I carry a line cutter, shears, and knife, occasionally something bigger.

Bob

I have a letter opener with a stainless steel blade than is in it's own special pocket. I paid $1 for it. It should cut fishing line etc. The best part is that it's been in my carry-on bag and has gone through airport security many times without any notice or mention of it. So far (50 or more dives) it has only a small rust spot.

For those times when I'm bringing a checked bag (that's OK to have a knife in) I have a Blue Reef Folding Knife that LeisurePro had on sale for $8. It has a handy line cutter which is available without opening the knife. I've taken it on many dives and it has not been getting rinsed as well as it should have (so much for "valet diving") but has no sign of rust. For $8 I think it was an incredible deal but at the regular price of $22 I guess you'd just have to do the usual comparison shopping.

I know others disagree, but I will not carry shears. Years ago, I did a few cleanups in the Boca Grande pass, and realized how quickly even high quality shears go bad.

I carry an eezycut and two knives (one high, one low), although my BFK is a blunt tip and more of a tool. Same setup I carry for work.

I know others disagree, but I will not carry shears.
Neither do I. I carry them in the Scuba Van, but not in the water. Same reasons as you.

I have read many threads that promote buying a set of cheap steak knives?
Those advocating this approach might be named "Ginzu" and have warehouses full of steak knives looking to be repurposed?

Seriously the best cutting tool is one that works for you. For me it is a fixed blade knife with a line cutter (Wenoka, Blackie Collins, 30 years old). some folks like shears. others use blunted off steak knives. It really is a matter of self selection. Except to pry a scallop off a rock or open ghost lobster traps, I can count on one hand the number of times my knife has been out of its sheath and that was to cut fishing line. But then, I like the feel and look of a knife strapped on the inside of the left calve--the only place a self respecting knife should be placed on a wetsuit-clad diver.

I like the feel and look of a knife strapped on the inside of the left calve--the only place a self respecting knife should be placed on a wetsuit-clad diver.
I love seeing the Rambos on the dive boat with their knives on the outside. 2 phreakin phunni.

Trilobite on my computer strap, one on my right shoulder webbing above the d-ring, and a steak knife on my left waist.

I don't notice any of them, but they're there when I need them.

I've also got a couple of the little goodman handle lights that Light Monkey has. Never used them. Pretty sure they're rusted all to hell, but I bet they'll cut cave line in a pinch. However I don't consider them in my count, nor are they're my primary choice since I'm not always diving with either of those lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom