Deep 6 reg comparison against AL LUX Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD- is the difference a certain lack of subtlety in the initiation of an inhalation? I have almost no experience but it seems that my Deep6 regs give me air more freely than I'm used to but if I'm just sipping my air, it isn't a terribly smooth transition from none to just a bit. I suspect that in a few dives I will get used to it and at that point the very low WOB will be all I notice. I also wonder if this is adjustable or is it perhaps the result of the little turbine inside spinning up? I'm going to go find the drawings I saw of the internals.

I'm not sure where the much lower price for the AL came from. AL's own website shows it for $1200.

Legend LUX Supreme - Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use
I stand (slightly) corrected

Dive Stock is in Finland and priced in Euro (not USD) However 575 euro is $611

Simply Scuba in the UK Shows 544 GBP $ 679 (normal price is $849)

The Dive Shop in the UAE Shows 3325 AEd $905 - Although on a special the normal price is still less than the $1200. Although we have no tax, we pay more for goods here then you do elsewhere. I didn't use my local pricing because I'd have had to add shipping charges (for me)

So in the US someone is having a laugh with your pricing

However I accept my pricing comparison was a bit low - but not by much

A minor comment, you get better contrast between a normal metal finish and O-ring than you do on this, meaning you need more than a quick glance to check on the O-ring

actually decided to change that to the lighter grey of the other parts of the body recently..

One additional bit of info

When washing them out and drying them, I found (obviously ) they would free flow with teh dive switch to dive and the breathing adjuster fully open, However it only took a quarter turn backwards to stop the free flow. Not being a reg guru not sure if that has any importance or not (teh AL needs a good half turn
just put a finger behind the mouthpiece to stop that freeflow, it's faster than twisting the adjustment knob or the deflector.

I actually test them to make sure they do that when I ship, and that they aren't slightly freeflowing when not depressing the purge.

Just gonna say that while I don't hate my mouthpiece "it's actually pretty good, better than many oem mouthpieces", I however LOVE the AL comfo bite mouthpieces...they just rock. However I can't offer them on my regs.. and those that don't like comfo bites seem to hate them. Can't "win" there" But the Deep 6 Mouthpiece is a solid mouthpiece, I do 90-120 dives quite often with no fatigue.

DD- is the difference a certain lack of subtlety in the initiation of an inhalation? I have almost no experience but it seems that my Deep6 regs give me air more freely than I'm used to but if I'm just sipping my air, it isn't a terribly smooth transition from none to just a bit. I suspect that in a few dives I will get used to it and at that point the very low WOB will be all I notice. I also wonder if this is adjustable or is it perhaps the result of the little turbine inside spinning up? I'm going to go find the drawings I saw of the internals.

If I'm being honest, I don't know. there was nothing that I could put my finger on, but there was a noticeable difference for sure. I've never dived a Hog (from which these are derived on) so I don't know the improvements.

If I get the chance, I'll try again, I'll also put my AL 2nd stage on the D6 first, and visversa to see if that changes anything. I do like the idea of having a turret 1st stage

As I alluded to, I really want to like these regs but at the moment I just can't like them enough to want a set

can't put my finger on exactly what the difference in breathing is. There is just something that makes it less refined. But I'll admit that is very subjective.

not that subjective actually regarding refined, but more subjective regarding what you are used to. I'm gonna see itf I can find a loop on the AL reg and do some compare, if not I am back in the lab in april and I'll buy a AL reg and play with it. Honestly, I know the Deep 6 reg is an amazing performer, and if I am "very close" but not quite to the most expensive and best performing reg by the biggest and oldest brand in scuba..well, I'll take it.

If you want to compare the Deep 6 to any regs in the same pricepoint, i suspect you will not be so disappointed.

I stand (slightly) corrected

Dive Stock is in Finland and priced in Euro (not USD) However 575 euro is $611

Simply Scuba in the UK Shows 544 GBP $ 679 (normal price is $849)

The Dive Shop in the UAE Shows 3325 AEd $905 - Although on a special the normal price is still less than the $1200. Although we have no tax, we pay more for goods here then you do elsewhere. I didn't use my local pricing because I'd have had to add shipping charges (for me)

So in the US someone is having a laugh with your pricing

However I accept my pricing comparison was a bit low - but not by much
all the pricing issues are regulatory. the USA allows collusion via MAP policies, Europe does not. AL and the dealers REALLY like MAP. As does Leisurepro who sells Grey Market Aqualung products.

just put a finger behind the mouthpiece to stop that freeflow, it's faster than twisting the adjustment knob or the deflector.

I actually test them to make sure they do that when I ship, and that they aren't slightly freeflowing when not depressing the purge.

Just gonna say that while I don't hate my mouthpiece "it's actually pretty good, better than many oem mouthpieces", I however LOVE the AL comfo bite mouthpieces...they just rock. However I can't offer them on my regs.. and those that don't like comfo bites seem to hate them. Can't "win" there" But the Deep 6 Mouthpiece is a solid mouthpiece, I do 90-120 dives quite often with no fatigue.

That's what I would normally do, but as they were in my wash tank I though't I'd try.

I am interested as to why you have a large rotation of the adjustment, given it doesn't seem to need such a fine adjustment? By that I mean with less rotation for the same effect?

I guess the mouthpiece just takes some getting used to, especially as I've pretty much always dived a comfo bite. not a huge issue as mouth pieces are very personal

Glad you have a light grey part for the O-ring. just one of these little things I noticed.

I do really like the regs, and as I said would recommend then without hesitation

not that subjective actually regarding refined, but more subjective regarding what you are used to. I'm gonna see itf I can find a loop on the AL reg and do some compare, if not I am back in the lab in april and I'll buy a AL reg and play with it. Honestly, I know the Deep 6 reg is an amazing performer, and if I am "very close" but not quite to the most expensive and best performing reg by the biggest and oldest brand in scuba..well, I'll take it.

If you want to compare the Deep 6 to any regs in the same pricepoint, i suspect you will not be so disappointed.

I'm not dissapointed, in the performance as much as I really wanted to want this reg,and I guess that was the "let down" I like the build quality, and love the Orange - I'd get matching orange hoses to go with them :)

I feel guilty that you're going to spend $1200 on a reg because of me.

To be fair it really is close. I didn't buy my current reg because it was teh top of the range, I'd had an issue on my previous set and lost faith. Although there was no discernible fault, I couldn't bring myself to trust it. The Supreme was on sale so I got it. I liked it so much I brought another.

Will be interested as to what you find out, maybe it's just a tweak, maybe it's nothing at all.

At that price point it is a bit of a steal and I'm glad I got a chance to try it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom