DEMA update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You looked in GREAT shape when I met you in the aisles. Healthy, Moving swift, trimmed down and a huge smile !! Always fun to share laughs from the old Winter Park / Altamonte days with you again.
The Hovel always brings a smile to my face... I'm super glad I'm not still there!

Well, I gotta tell you, since I no longer have a dog in the fight.

This was the best DEMA I've attended in 20 years. The mood was upbeat, the folks were there writing checks, and big liveaboard operators were looking for new boats for new destinations. I spoke to a housing manufacturer who had come to the conclusion that they are not in the diving business, but in the cinematography business and they still came to DEMA to see past and future clients, but this isn't where their business comes from. Autumn from Stream2Sea said it was her best DEMA ever.

When a vendor comes to DEMA, you are looking for 10 clients (for most vendors). We all ask each other how many new accounts we have landed. I didn't talk to anyone who didn't get their 10 clients. Folks who supply the industry were writing tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in orders, with one telling me that he averaged 2 new clients a day. I spoke to many liveaboard operators. they were all booking groups. I spoke to rebreather manufacturers. They were writing orders for upgrades, training, etc. I spoke to folks who were becoming dealers of top of the line equipment like Light Monkey and 4th Element.

I went specifically to attend regulator training. I actually had business meetings the entire time. I met to help liveaboard operators find their next boat. That's important that folks are expanding their fleets. I met with military clients. I met with marine debris clients. I met with adaptive scuba clients, and professional filmmakers. I never walked the floor, didn't see Pete, I was busy. Too busy to go walk the floor. I've never been busy at DEMA before.

I went to the TDI tech party. I didn't recognize too many folks. That was a bummer. The tech parties were interesting. Back when Curt Bowen started the Rebreatherworld Tech Party, everyone who was anyone went to see and be seen. Now, there is a TDI party where the tech party always was, IANTD has their own, and there are now 3 tech parties. All the same night. Politics, I guess. No one wants to share.

I'm glad that the dive business appears to be picking up. I made some great business contacts, and didn't see the trinkets or travel. Looks like some very interesting artificial reefs being planned. I was very heartened.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the show.

We booked a new Philippines trip with Atlantis; Had productive meetings with our vendors; Increased our commitments for next year in most categories. Attended the PADI presentations on their new PIC system. And got a good feeling for where the industry seems to be heading.

I thought that there were a lot of smaller companies with some interesting products. Products from China look sturdier and can no longer be ignored. It took more than 2 days to walk the floor even ignoring many booths. Just how many Cozumel or Bonaire ops and hotels can you stop at? I felt that the number of tour operators and trip re-sellers has increased exponentially and speaks to a healthy industry influenced by the Millennial generation to whom luxury travel and amenities are not anathema. OTOH I'll never stay at the Rosen Center Hotel. Overpriced wannabe dump.

Reactions: mdb
I saw the Wook ambling around the floor. Sexiest legs in shorts at the show f'sure...Even the mermaid in aisle 2000 did a double take when @Wookie walked by.:yeahbaby:

I had a good time...now trying to fit everything into the suitcases to take back to the island. :)

Mike. When you call me Father it feels weird. :wink:
Did you get those star tools at the store yet?
They arrived on Kwaj on the 26th barge. I heard the loader is down and the containers are still not unloaded. The scuba club also has 16 new Al80 in one of those containers too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom