Difference in steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

truck1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there a difference in steel tanks from one manufacturer to the next.Other then the obvious in finishes,and pressure,(hp/lp I am not worried about that) is one steel tank better than another and why?

yep

down here i have sea hornet super-steel tanks, LOVE em!!! (internal electroplating liniing for nitrox)

but, only 2 weigh the same... they weigh everything from 11.9kgs to 14.9kgs each so when i choose tanks im always conscious of what rig i use (zeagle tec or bpw) and weights

cheers

If limited to what is available in North America. Your only choices are Faber and Worthington, PST seems to be "no more". The differences are minimal but worth mentioning. Worthington's are available in a hot dipped galvanized finish, Faber's are not. The actual tank weight and bouyancy characteristics are slightly different between the two. This could work either way for you. Steel tanks tend to vary more one to the other than aluminum with regard to weight and overall length. If there is ever the possibility that you'll want to double these, ask for a matched set when you purchase or order them. I haven't seen or heard of anyone having problems with the quality of either. There have from time to time been bad batches from all the manufacturers, that resulted in premature coating failure, difficulty passing their first retest, etc. But no one's been immune, with the exception of Worthington perhaps, as they've not been in the scuba mark that long.

fweber:
If limited to what is available in North America. Your only choices are Faber and Worthington, PST seems to be "no more". The differences are minimal but worth mentioning. Worthington's are available in a hot dipped galvanized finish, Faber's are not. The actual tank weight and bouyancy characteristics are slightly different between the two. This could work either way for you. Steel tanks tend to vary more one to the other than aluminum with regard to weight and overall length. If there is ever the possibility that you'll want to double these, ask for a matched set when you purchase or order them. I haven't seen or heard of anyone having problems with the quality of either. There have from time to time been bad batches from all the manufacturers, that resulted in premature coating failure, difficulty passing their first retest, etc. But no one's been immune, with the exception of Worthington perhaps, as they've not been in the scuba mark that long.

The above info that Weber has given is very good. but I wanted to add a few more comments.

1.) While the diferences in wight in bouyancy are only slightly different between Worthington and Faber, that depends on the EXACT tank in the comparible size.

For example, these two tanks are very similar.
Faber FX-100 (3442psi, - 8.41 Full / -0.59 Empty, Weight 34.3 Lbs, Diameter 7.24", , Length 24.80",

Worthington X7-100 (3442psi, -10.0 LBS full, -2.5 LBS,. empty, 33 LBS weight, 7.25" diameter, 24.0" tall)

_are very similar in weight and bouyancy, however
the THT-100 is a 100cf tank, but is actually a 3180psi tank with 10% overfill rating.
THT-100 (3180psi+10%, -14.76 full / -7.26empty, 7.25"diameter, 24" tall).

See how much heavier a tank that is? so make sure you're comparing apples to apples when comparing.

2.) as for matched sets, I've know of two people who ordered tanks from Worthington for doubles that got tanks that were 1/4" to 1/2" difference in height. So if you're ordering two tanks and ever intend to double them, tell them to order them for doubles because Worthington will "match" heights on what they send the dive shops. (Pretty much all worthington tanks are drop shipped from the distributor with the way their distribution system is set up.

3.) As for coatings, I think the coating that worthington's is better than the Fabers. But there is nothing wrong with the Fabers.

that said. I own Fabers. Why? because I got them for $150 bucks cheaper than what it cost to order the Worthingtons. I've been very happy with them and it was a good choice/purchase.

Hope that helps some.

-mike

Every little bit helps.The reason I am asking is that I am planning on upping to probably 120s steel.I have been looking around at different shops and found different prices for the same size tanks.I never thought about the difference in weight and buoancy and will have to look at that.I dont plan on diving doubles,I am happy with diving single and staying out of caves.I have used a single 131 and 140 and have come up with plenty of air, so I am thinking 120 should be fine for what I want to do.

truck1:
Every little bit helps.The reason I am asking is that I am planning on upping to probably 120s steel.I have been looking around at different shops and found different prices for the same size tanks.I never thought about the difference in weight and buoancy and will have to look at that.I dont plan on diving doubles,I am happy with diving single and staying out of caves.I have used a single 131 and 140 and have come up with plenty of air, so I am thinking 120 should be fine for what I want to do.
Single 140? Who makes that?

120s are nice tanks, but they're big and long. Divers who aren't especially tall (6'+ I think) often report problems with trim when they try to give them.

Are you looking to high pressure or low pressure tanks?

CompuDude:

120s are nice tanks, but they're big and long. Divers who aren't especially tall (6'+ I think) often report problems with trim when they try to give them.

I *think* I just saw a faber 140 in Hollywood divers!
Didn't stop too much to see though. It looked like a faber and I believe it said 140 on it.
A monster for sure!

CompuDude:

My Faber HP 100's pumped up to 4200psi makes for a near perfect 140. :eyebrow:
Not too kind on your 1st stage though. :11:

CompuDude:

To be honest I dont remember who made the 140.My lds that just closed had a few and I got to use one in the keys in march since I had he only reg that would fit it.I did not really pay attention at the time to the maker.

As far as hp or lp I am not sure yet.Right now I am looking, but am leaning to the lp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom