DIN-Yoke Adapters, reasons to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems some people claim that the adapters should only be used if absolutely necessary--does this stem from some safety concern (or leakage concern, etc) or just due to the extra length/discomfort using the adapter might cause? I do prefer using DIN when I can, plus I would like to take some tech courses in the following year or two (correct me if I am wrong but doubles almost exclusively use DIN connectors, no? I do not believe I've ever seen a yoke connection on doubles) and learn to dive with doubles. Might as well make sure the first stage I get is still useful for that.

I feel the safety concerns you have are unfounded.

Comfort, maybe. I use HOG D1s (DIN) with an adapter for most of my single tank diving, and never had any issues with leaks. I don't know anyone who uses DIN-YOKE adapters who've had any issues either.

If you use the right ports for your hoses, and setup your BCD properly (I use a BP/W) I don't have any issues with my regs causing discomfort to my head or hoses getting in the way. I dive with my head touching the first stage (single tank) or manifold (doubles) anyway, so it's a non-issue for me. They are not uncomfortable by any means.

OTOH, if you buy a yoke reg, you will not be able to use it for technical diving.

If you ever get into technical diving, the cost of an additional regulator is peanut compare the grand scheme. I wouldn't worry about the cost of a 1st stage if tech diving is your goal.

These days, when I go onto vacation, I bring along my single tank reg set (yoke) and I also bring along a Din first stage. If needed, I will just swap the hoses. I don't bother with din to yoke adapter anymore

---------- Post added June 4th, 2015 at 11:58 PM ----------

Not much of a concern with proper tank positioning. I and my family (8 total divers) have been using DIN for >20 years without an issue. Tanks are actually more readily available now in DIN than 15 years ago. I still carry a lightweight yoke adapter but rarely use it.

It has less to do with tank position, and more to do with particular diver's physique. Tank position is really dictate by the ability to reach for tank valve. So it can't be too low. Once that is determine, some divers can very little clearance. Adding adaptor will cause neck discomfort. This is a very true and rather common issue.

Back
Top Bottom