DIN-Yoke Adapters, reasons to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's one. I was diving in a lava cavern with a recreational dive op, when the DM hit her yoke reg in the roof, causing the o-ring to become unseated.

A "cavern"? With an overhead? Then it's not truly a recreational environment. Okay, I suppose if a recreational diver frequents sites that could be classified more as recreational "swim-throughs" than actual overheads, then that might be one "reason" to prefer DIN over yoke.

a 1/4 allen wrench is good to have as well as thats the size for the thermo din/yoke inserts. On vacation some of those inserts are really stuck in the valve and can take a bit of effort to get them out.

Agree - I've had a hassle getting them out & had boat crew annoyed when they cranked to get them out (not doing often) & they crack/disintegrate.
However, I'm glad many tanks at dive destinations round the world now have this as a more common option.

---------- Post added July 17th, 2014 at 08:11 PM ----------

For deco tank valves that are fixed yoke, because of DIN-to-yoke adapters to convert DIN only 1st stage deco regs, found out the hard way that you had to visually identify that you were turning open the correct deco bottle valve knob instead of mistakenly unscrewing the adapter! :shocked2::shocked2:(Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes Short History & Dive Report)

From now on, if I know the dive-ops do not have DIN cylinder valves -I will bring along a set for travel. . .

Wow - that's scary!
Reminded me (off topic, but similar mistake)... I'm just getting ready to jump in the water & I'd intentionally shut my air off for the hike to the water as I had tiny hiss due to bad o-ring (didn't worry, shallow class dive)... so didn't remember if I'd turned it back on & asked a student to check if my air was turned on while I pulling fin on.
[student reaches behind me & Bang-hiss!] Mistook my computer's HP transmitter & unscrewed it!
(not as scary as your story...)

---------- Post added July 17th, 2014 at 08:26 PM ----------

My tanks at home are all DIN (except my pony) but when I travel I take my adapter so I can use the rental tanks wherever I go (DIN or yoke). I've never had a DIN o-ring fail in the adapter (although I have had a few yoke o-rings do so).
drbill - similar experience here.
Never had DIN o-ring fail in adapter.

For myself - my regs are all DIN (well, have some old ones I don't use that are yoke).
One of my primary regs (Aqualung Legend, others are XTX50&100s) came with the yoke piece (probably as I ordered DIN, so they gave me both) - so I *could* swap to yoke if I wanted.
However, on many trips over the years, I've just gotten in the habit of using my adapter (have a couple of different brands - the ones I like best are the ones off my Poseidons[not my warm-water/recreational regs<g>]).

I've never had an issue using the adapter. I never know for certain if I'll be required to use yoke, so I don't bring the "converter" (replaces DIN in the reg).

Do sometimes notice a bit of a bump at back of head when cranking head all way up/back that don't notice with DIN. So the adapter's extra length is a tiny bit noticeable.

My "trick" for never forgetting the adapter - I leave it in my weight pocket. :)

So many hundreds of dives using the adapter and never had an issue.
Lastly, it seems the trend with popular scuba destinations is tanks that are convertable to DIN by just unscrewing the insert. I'm happy to see that & makes me more comfortable only having DIN regs.

Last edited:
Sounds like conversion kit is a better option than an adapter..

Any idea where to get a DIN to Yoke conversion kit for the APEKS DS4? Failed to find it online or at my local dive stores :(

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like conversion kit is a better option than an adapter..

Any idea where to get a DIN to Yoke conversion kit for the APEKS DS4? Failed to find it online or at my local dive stores :(

Thanks!

Search for Apeks AP0195.

Thanks so much for your help!! I always though that parts from APEKS is an adapter!
Now I know where to get the conversion kit. Does that kit already come with all the things i need for the conversion?

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2015 at 12:23 AM ----------

Jus did some more research, seems that AP0195 is another adapter instead of conversion kit that changes the valve natively?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your help!! I always though that parts from APEKS is an adapter!
Now I know where to get the conversion kit. Does that kit already come with all the things i need for the conversion?

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2015 at 12:23 AM ----------

Jus did some more research, seems that AP0195 is another adapter instead of conversion kit that changes the valve natively?

My apologies I misunderstood your request.

the adapter temporarily converts the first stage, not the valve.

Din -> Yoke conversions are very rare, usually the other way, that's why Apeks doesn't have a "kit" for it. Any decent Apeks shop can order the parts for you though. Dive Right in Scuba would be my first call

I imagine the concern is it hitting your head

Yes, having the first stage constantly banging the back of your head is unpleasant.

Not much of a concern with proper tank positioning. I and my family (8 total divers) have been using DIN for >20 years without an issue. Tanks are actually more readily available now in DIN than 15 years ago. I still carry a lightweight yoke adapter but rarely use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom