DIN-Yoke Adapters, reasons to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gvnwst

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been struggling with the "DIN/Yoke? Adapter?" question for my first set of regs and wanted some extra input. I intend to buy my own DIN tanks a little down the line, but I can rent them locally. A fair portion of my diving happens while traveling, though, and availability of DIN rental tanks seems to be lacking inside the US.

It seems some people claim that the adapters should only be used if absolutely necessary--does this stem from some safety concern (or leakage concern, etc) or just due to the extra length/discomfort using the adapter might cause? I do prefer using DIN when I can, plus I would like to take some tech courses in the following year or two (correct me if I am wrong but doubles almost exclusively use DIN connectors, no? I do not believe I've ever seen a yoke connection on doubles) and learn to dive with doubles. Might as well make sure the first stage I get is still useful for that.

So, is it unsafe to use an adapter somewhat regularly, or is it just somewhat inconvenient? For those of you who find it to be excessively large with DIN+adapter, could you post pictures or something to show how? It seems like adding an extra half inch or inch wouldn't bring the first stage much closer to your head. (I imagine the concern is it hitting your head, or pressing hoses into your head?)

Thanks!

You can change from native DIN to native yoke in less than 2 minutes with the right kits and tools. I do it all the time with my Halcyon (scubapro) and Apeks first stages.

If you need to use an adapter just don't do dives where the extra fail point of an additional o-ring would be critical.

If you can find them then the adapter Poseidon supplied as standard with Cyklon first stages is a very neat version and far less bulky than most others. However they do have a relatively low pressure rating (207 bar IIRC).

Carry a set of Allen keys with you. Often yoke cylinder valves will have a removable insert that converts them to DIN. If you can take that out then you can use your DIN regulator as normal.

I did that for quite a while.... I had multiple DIN O-ring failures over a couple of years time. Seems it does not keep that "trapped O-ring" trapped very well. I eventually swapped that regulator over to a dedicated recreational yoke regulator & now only use DIN for my technical equipment.

I use an adapter on my AL80 air tanks for shore diving. The worst thing that has happened is that I forgot to bring it twice! On the first time, there was a diver who randomly had one that I could borrow. The 2nd time, I had to buy one from a LDS near the dive site. So now I have 2 :).

You may need to play with one to get the setup the way you want it.
I found that when I had the tank at the optimum position for trim and the hose routing correct they first stage would constantly be hitting me on the head.

I went the same route as hongrace and had both a DIN and Yoke connectors and swapped them as needed. All that was required was a large adjustable and 2 minutes. Only once had one come loose during a dive, causing a very slow leak, easily fixed.

Currently I am all yoke and looking to go go with a combination of Yoke and DIN. DIN tank valve and yoke first stage is a much easier adaptor, all you need is an converter insert that is the right length for your valve.
But I prefer DIN so I will, probably, go for the switch connectors again.

We have used them on vacation multiple times with the only issue being a cheapy adapter not sealing as well on the yoke side. Replaced that one with a higher quality adapter and zero issues since.

No issues using the yoke adapter but I obviously prefer a native DIN connection. Many dive shops have at least a few tanks with convertible valves around and will gladly provide them if you ask. We've only had two dive trips where we had to use the adapter all the time, one didn't have any DIN/convertible tanks at all (in Bonaire of all places), the other one did, but none prepped for nitrox. Our LDS also has rental DIN tanks. In any case, you should always have the adapter with you, and +1 for the suggestion to have Allen keys with you. A 6 mm and an 8 mm should do the trick.

a 1/4 allen wrench is good to have as well as thats the size for the thermo din/yoke inserts. On vacation some of those inserts are really stuck in the valve and can take a bit of effort to get them out.

a 1/4 allen wrench is good to have as well as thats the size for the thermo din/yoke inserts. On vacation some of those inserts are really stuck in the valve and can take a bit of effort to get them out.

Aren't those inserts metric, as dfx indicates in the previous post? I once made the mistake of taking an Imperial set of Allen wrenches, and it turned out the insert was metric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom