DIR Doing Their Thang!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver:
GDI,

Equipment is just a small part of DIR. That's what most people focus on.
No I am focusing on skills and academics teachings that is in ref to my original question. But agency and equipment issues got in the way

DIR is a lifestyle of diving and all that is included with it, Holistic you say. Well so is religion. I don't drink (much) I am very physically fit. In the number of logged dives I have without incident I must be doing something right. and again I always willing to study and learn more. I live to dive.

GDI:
DIR is a lifestyle of diving and all that is included with it, Holistic you say. Well so is religion. I don't drink (much) I am very physically fit. In the number of logged dives I have without incident I must be doing something right. and again I always willing to study and learn more. I live to dive.
I think you would love a GUE class...give it a shot!

GDI:
In the number of logged dives I have without incident I must be doing something right.

Nah, you're probably on the tail of the accident statistics. You know, out in the six or nine sigma region. He, he, just kidding! :D

detroit diver:
Let's see. By some remote possibility that someone taught the exact same equivalent of a DIR class, you could be right. I think that that possiblity is very remote at best. Remember, this is a holistic system. You can't teach pieces of it.

How would someone dive DIR if they were not taught to dive DIR? And who would teach them if not for my examples? Please don't say they would learn it on the internet.

OK, I was asked to weigh in with an opinion here, so here goes. Is it possible to be DIR without benefit of GUE training and/or WKPP membership? Yes, I think it is. GUE's training methodology and philosophy grew out of the Cvae Diving world and WKPP. There were (and still are) a number of non GUE, non WKPP affiliated instructors teaching these same ideas and ideals. When new members are brought into WKPP, we asume they know nothing, no matter what agency thier card comes from or whos name is on it. All "new guys" start at square one and learn to dive as a team using WKPP protocals- it is taught by mentorship. Prior to the existence of GUE, the same things occured (and still occur) within the community of cave divers (as well as communities of wreck divers, etc.). GUE is simply a "one stop shopping" resource for the DIR philosophy.

I would like to salute the DIR instructors regardless of the agency from which they instruct and the divers who may be monitoring this thread. Your silence has shown your professionalism and love and respect for this sport. Often those who are silent let the quality of their students, their skills and knowledge speak volumes.

O-ring:
I think you would love a GUE class...give it a shot!

As for my lurking maybe but I'm sure my bouyancy and movements were bang on. And You know I am sure I would love a DIR class, seriously

chickdiver:
OK, I was asked to weigh in with an opinion here, so here goes. Is it possible to be DIR without benefit of GUE training and/or WKPP membership? Yes, I think it is. GUE's training methodology and philosophy grew out of the Cvae Diving world and WKPP. There were (and still are) a number of non GUE, non WKPP affiliated instructors teaching these same ideas and ideals. When new members are brought into WKPP, we asume they know nothing, no matter what agency thier card comes from or whos name is on it. All "new guys" start at square one and learn to dive as a team using WKPP protocals- it is taught by mentorship. Prior to the existence of GUE, the same things occured (and still occur) within the community of cave divers (as well as communities of wreck divers, etc.). GUE is simply a "one stop shopping" resource for the DIR philosophy.

Amen Sister

As far as The Kingdom of DIR Goes I thick we know who it is.
DD you really need deprograming.
I hope they pay you for this.

Fred

fgray1:
As far as The Kingdom of DIR Goes I thick we know who it is.
DD you really need deprograming.
I hope they pay you for this.

Fred

Welcome to our new DIR forum...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a few guidelines...
1) No trolling! This is not the place for agency bashing! This is especially not a place for bashing DIR divers.
2) This forum is for a free exchange of ideas concerning DIR, but it is NOT intended to limit any mention of DIR to only this forum. There are many things pertaining to DIR that will be discussed in other forums as well.
3) All the rules of the board still apply here. You don't get to harrass or call people names. Civility should rule.
4) Most of all, have fun and learn something at the same time. Read our Mission statement and TOS for clarification.
"The Doctor for your Network is Always IN"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom