"DIR: Fundamentals of Better Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry:
Oh no. Nothing to see here. I'm too smart to mess with anyone named Tony from Chicago.

Rick Inman:
Oh no. Nothing to see here. I'm too smart to mess with anyone named Tony from Chicago.
I guess I couldn't interest you in a set of permanent ankle weights? They're not very DIR, but they fit like they're made for you. :D

Thanks for all the great advice, everybody. Of all the people I was hoping would reply, this is basically them. I was guessing someone would recommend Dress for Success. I read a LOT, so I don't mind adding another book to my stack...although I will have to make sure Kathy doesn't see it come in the mail (we have four bookshelves in the bedroom)

Rjack-
Yeah, a lot of the stuff seemed to be mostly geared towards things you will be diong in the future. I really do want to get Cavern Certified, but I can't see myself doing anything that needs a scooter, or a light with 12hr burn time. I'm basically trying to find out the things that make sense for me, verses the things I will never use. (I'm not trying to knock the holistic approach, here, just trying to be smart and realistic about it)

Tony-
I sent you a PM. I'm up in Chicago a bunch, I wouldn't mind sitting in on a DIR get-together if there are some people up there that do regular dives or anything.

THanks again,
Tom

Dress for Success is a great reference for gear, but I'm not sure it's going to give you the "whys" you're looking for.

I always ask why. I asked why about backup lights -- Why can't they have a switch? Dress for Success doesn't tell you, and neither does Jarrod's book, and my Fundies instructor never answered my e-mail. The answer is actually rather obvious, which may be why he didn't write back to me, but there are a lot of why's you shake your head about, or ask on DIR-dedicated boards (like DIR Explorers, or the Quest list) until you figure it out.

So far, everything has made sense once explained, so I've relaxed a little bit about accepting the things I don't understand until I can find the reason why.

TSandM:
...snip... Why can't they have a switch? ...snip....

Greater risk of flooding?

Basically, the answer was, you have to have an opening in the light to put the batteries in. If you can have just that one, and use it as a switch as well, you haven't added any additional weak points to the light. If you add a switch, that's another penetration of the waterproof canister, another failure point, and adds nothing. Made sense, once it was explained. But there's no explanation in the books.

b1gcountry:
Tony-
I sent you a PM. I'm up in Chicago a bunch, I wouldn't mind sitting in on a DIR get-together if there are some people up there that do regular dives or anything.

Tony is DIR? Oh yeah, that's because he brings along grape Kool-Aid to drink during our surface intervals. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom