"DIR: Fundamentals of Better Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, that was going to be one of the next questions I had: Why does DIR stress the reliance on a can light, even if you are just going on a daytime dive? I can understand if you are a cave diver and use a can light most of the time, it doesn't make sense to change your gear configuration, but if you only ever dive in open water, or wrecks, you never need a can light that will last 12+ hours underwater.

Tom

I thought it was only twice the length of a dive (or was that someone/somewhere else)?...
If you only do 15min dives, you only need a 30minute battery...

b1gcountry:
Actually, that was going to be one of the next questions I had: Why does DIR stress the reliance on a can light, even if you are just going on a daytime dive? I can understand if you are a cave diver and use a can light most of the time, it doesn't make sense to change your gear configuration, but if you only ever dive in open water, or wrecks, you never need a can light that will last 12+ hours underwater.

Tom

Most can lights have between 4 and 6 hours of duration on the battery. There are DARN few can lights on the market that will last 12+ hours.

That aside, the can light serves as a signaling device, a visual reference to the buddy, it's part of your overall weighting scheme, and just MIGHT help you on that evening dive if you surface away from the boat.

If you don't want or need one, don't use one. Simple. I still do a number of dives without the can light. It's an added complication.

There's a little bit of "begin as you mean to go on" with the can light, too. Becoming comfortable with deploying, using and stowing the light means that, when you get to wreck penetration or caves or very poor viz diving, the light is not a new and task-loading thing to manage. And in all but the clearest and most light-filled water, the lights are useful for signalling and keeping track of the team.

Even in very clear water, it's a help. We did a class in Ginnie this past weekend, and amongst the OW class with 20 students, the snorkelrs, the free divers, the kids swimming, etc., the sure way to find our class was their can lights.

grazie42:
I thought it was only twice the length of a dive (or was that someone/somewhere else)?...
If you only do 15min dives, you only need a 30minute battery...

Actually the rule of thumb is: burn time = gas duration time

b1gcountry:
Rjack-
Yeah, a lot of the stuff seemed to be mostly geared towards things you will be diong in the future. I really do want to get Cavern Certified, but I can't see myself doing anything that needs a scooter, or a light with 12hr burn time. I'm basically trying to find out the things that make sense for me, verses the things I will never use. (I'm not trying to knock the holistic approach, here, just trying to be smart and realistic about it)

You don't know how many times I've heard...

"I'm not interested in deeper diving", by someone who's now planning on taking entry technical diving (Tech1)

"I don't need a scooter I like photography", now wants a scooter

"Caves? I'm just trying to be a better diver", now planning on taking Cave1

Being realistic is fine, but if you give the system chance its surprising how you grow into it :wink:

Nobody would ever have said that. :D

rjack321:

"I'm not interested in deeper diving", by someone who's now planning on taking entry technical diving (Tech1)

heh, but to be fair, I think at least one of these divers has been getting some consistent "nudges" from her husband :)

rjack321:

"I don't need a scooter I like photography", now wants a scooter

Being realistic is fine, but if you give the system chance its surprising how you grow into it :wink:
Guilty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom