"DIR: Fundamentals of Better Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
You don't know how many times I've heard...

"I'm not interested in deeper diving", by someone who's now planning on taking entry technical diving (Tech1)

"I don't need a scooter I like photography", now wants a scooter

"Caves? I'm just trying to be a better diver", now planning on taking Cave1

Being realistic is fine, but if you give the system chance its surprising how you grow into it :wink:

Anyone that says they don't need a scooter has never ridden a scooter. All it takes is one ride, and it moves to the top of the wish list :eyebrow:

Anyone that says they don't need a scooter has never ridden a scooter. All it takes is one ride, and it moves to the top of the wish list

Wrong. I've ridden a scooter, and cave training still tops the wishlist . . . :)

b1gcountry:
Actually, that was going to be one of the next questions I had: Why does DIR stress the reliance on a can light, even if you are just going on a daytime dive? I can understand if you are a cave diver and use a can light most of the time, it doesn't make sense to change your gear configuration, but if you only ever dive in open water, or wrecks, you never need a can light that will last 12+ hours underwater.

Tom
I'll add my 2 cents as well: I used to say the same thing... until I dove in 20' vis with a diver who had a 21w can light. During the day. Also did a couple dives with the same guy in a kelp forest.

I was sold. For night dives, I had plenty of light with my light canon, so I didn't see the need for a can light. Daytime signaling, however, with a narrow, focused beam, is not something you can easily get from anything but a good can light, however. (Here in murky, low vis water, the 21w is key to punching through, but in clearer water I'm sure the 10w cans would suffice.)

K, let me add that the SINGLE most important piece of equipment is the canister light. As I delve into DIR technical ( I am also farm animal stupid level right now) the 10W HID can is the light of choice. All signaling is done with it at night and macro signaling is done during the day.

Also imbalanced lighting 21W with two 10W doesnt fly in the team concept. The 21W washes out the two other beams. Both daytime and nighttime.

I am currently learning light discipline right now that is a utterly integral piece of equipment.

Mixed teams of 10W and 21W work fine. With reasonable experience its not that big a deal.

10W is fine for caves and gives a longer burntime with a smaller canister
21W is better for OW since in anything clear its hard to signal with weaker lights.

In really clear and or shallow well lit waters, nothing but touch contact really works. Which oddly enough is what you revert to in pitch blackness and distracted buddies.

I've done dives with 21w and 10w groups together in open water and in the overhead. Not really a problem.

Archangel:
K, let me add that the SINGLE most important piece of equipment is the canister light. As I delve into DIR technical ( I am also farm animal stupid level right now) the 10W HID can is the light of choice.

Wouldn't be my light of choice. As others have pointed out the 10W works well enough in the absolute darkness in caves but is lacking in OW performance.

PerroneFord:
I've done dives with 21w and 10w groups together in open water and in the overhead. Not really a problem.

It's not a problem until it becomes one. The 10W is not bright enough to be consistently and reliably effective in OW.

My local waters are dim enough that 10w seems to work fine below about 40-50ft. Above that I agree that its not very bright, then again 21W is marginal in sunlit waters too.

At Tech1 depths, 10W is plenty - its dark down there.

nadwidny:
It's not a problem until it becomes one. The 10W is not bright enough to be consistently and reliably effective in OW.

Yea, I guess we are referencing our conditions. But it seems to me, in bright daylight conditions, I can *see* my team so I don't have to see their lights. When the water becomes murky or dark enough where I can't see my team easily, then the lights help. And if the water is murky enough where the 10w can't penetrate, then it's time to go home.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom