dir rig question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus:
I know what you mean, but honestly, before I came to SB, I didn't even know they existed either. Seems most recreational divers don't even know there are other options out there.

This board is also how I came to learn about the bp/wing configuration. I don't remember just how I came across the setup, but somehow while I was doing my gear research (and I'm very thankful I found this site in that quest!), but when I heard about something called "wings" I had to find out more about it, if for no other reason than it sounded cool. After doing a lot of reading of posts (both good and bad, but mostly good), I ended up getting a Halcyon Explorer, an I'm so glad I did.

My LDS here in Wichita (where I guess I'm lucky we even have one, much less two of them) tried to sell me on the standard BC, particularly the Oceanic Probe. Not that it's a bad rig, but the LDS owner and the instructors he hires must instruct only in gear that they sell in the store, and since they don't carry wings, they sure weren't going to give me all the information I needed before making a purchase. Again, I'm just very thankful for this board and am looking forward to having people ask me about my gear the next time I go diving (the owner of the LDS owns a house on the lake where OW classes are taught, so I'll have the chance to show students that this type of gear exists, and I'll give them my opinions if they ask). By the way, I also dive with a 7' hose, which I'm sure will elicit some questions of their own, and I'll be more than happy to explain the reasons for my choice. :) All thanks to the people on this board!

Mark

d33ps1x:
Sometimes the waves job is to hammer sense into the land. Sometimes it chooses just to flow around obstructions. Water has limitless options. So do people.

Dude, that's truly poetic. Seriously. Did you create that?

Mind if I use it on my site somewhere?

d33ps1x:
I know of one personally. She showed up in town with nothing but her bp and pioneer.

She wasn't allowed to dive it while diving with the local shop because they didn't sell them which I suppose is fair enough.

If you run a business you have a right to make that decision.
This was a paying customer that was told they can't use their own bp & wings? That's stunning.

Reading throught this post makes me glad that I have been able to be employed by a dive shop that embraces all types of divers/dive systems.
I was introduced to the BP/Wing Hogarthian setup from the get go, there were a few instructors who dove this config even teaching O/W. I find it obsurd that a shop will not "open their eyes" to other ways/techniques of diving. Althought I understand from a buisness standpoint why the instructors in a certain shop "must" wear and endorse whatever brand that shop sells... I just don't think I would look for employment in that type of shop...
Anyways when I started diving in the PNW I had no intention of "going tec" but as time went on and I was able to try out BP/Wings....well lets just say I'm counting the days until I get paid so I can buy a proper rig :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom