Dir?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I think someone is facing into hurricane force winds.

So you start off by saying to the OP to steer clear of the know it all DIR's that you have personally never learned a thing from and how you are in yellow water match facing into the wind with someone that you have some kind of past with. This has been an interesting thread for sure.

Does this thread remind anyone else of this youtube clip? As the reporter says "recently congtroversy has come home to roost in their own back yard" WARNING AS YOU WATCH THIS--MAKE SURE YOU ARE DRINKING ANYTHING. I AM NOT BUYING YOU A NEW KEYBOARD ARE FOOTING THE BILL FOR THE CLEAN UP! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

YouTube - Bird Poops In Mouth

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

wow, I know these DIR threads usually go down hill quick... but damn!

Off the wall, you have a very appropriate handle; you truly are off the wall. Who brought up open water classes? What does a list of skills have to do with DIR (a term in fact that is not even used by GUE, it is mostly kept alive online). You say everyone wears the same gear, hmm in my team we have Jets, OMS Slipstreams, and Turtles for fins; Apeks, Atomics, and Scubapro for regs; Halcyon, Salvo, and DiveRite for lights; PST, Worthington, Luxfor, and Catalina for tanks/bottles. Almost every word you have posted in this thread is useless except to be inflammatory, saying that you have nothing to learn from "DIR" divers is not chest thumping? Perhaps you are that good of a diver, you can manage multiple stage and deco bottles, clipping on an off a scooter and the bottles during a deco and not have your depth change while you float in front of an up line instead of hanging on to it... Your statement that people should buy what they want is what makes sense, What if this person wants to do wreck diving and they think the pretty jacket BC with pink pockets looks really good and cool clear snorkle matches their mask with a the bright yellow purge valve, ooh wait they better be safe and buy a spare air, yeah sell them that because it is what they want to learn how to go in wrecks... that makes sense... You sound like an ignorant fool, and from a business aspect it may be best if you cut your losses and stop while your.... not so far behind.

Not that anyone seems to care what my opinion is..

But the fact of the matter is that there is not one single agency out there that spends enough time on the Open Water program to turn out confident, competent, efficient and self sufficient divers. Even the longest of programs (which doesn't necessarily mean the best) can not achieve this.

Open Water certification is the beginning of a long learning curve - which requires diving in a variety of conditions over an extended period of time. I wish there was a better way to produce a quality diver - but the only way for people to get better is to go diving - and I don't mean in swimming pools taking specialties.

Repetitive learning is something needed in almost all educational settings. Diving is no different... so even if you did a skill in the pool 18 times, there is no guarantee that in a real world setting with limited vis at 100 ft you will react appropriately. The hope is that you will - the reality may be something far different - especially for someone fresh out of an OW class.

The same person however - who practices their skills routinely while on dives out in the real world has a much better percentage chance of successfully completing the skill.

The problem is that most people get certified and simply don't dive enough to keep skills fresh and keep improving them. many dive only once a year, some not that often and too many in systems such as PADI get their heads filled with the "hot air" of an advanced card after 5 dives and they think their proverbial "s---" doesn't stink.

Statistics are meaningless - keeping people activly diving is the best way to produce quality divers. Don't just teach them and spit them out like a diver mill... nourish them and bring them along with you diving - invite them - all of them -to dive with you.

I'm not a shop that tries to sell anyone anything... not classes, not gear. That is why we're successful. People come to us to buy. We simply advsie them on options and let them make informed decisions. We are the only shop I know of that actually tells people about quality lines we don't carry. We don't charge people for going diving with us... and we don't try to convince anyone of anything. We tell them to research things on diver forums - even in forums such as this one on Scubaboard...

Smart people see through all the crap and smart people always end up with quality gear from a quality shop and learn from quality Instructors... Smart people also become the best divers.
Well said, Mike.

Divers on this board, I would surmise, are primarily recreational versus professional. But just because they are not paid for their diving, recreational divers can be extremely skilled and experienced too. Many are committed to the sport and are busy diving weekly. Their opinions are formed through ongoing training and their unique dive experiences over time. But as you mentioned the only relevant issue in recreational diving is to be safe, environmentally sensitive and have fun diving. This is not "brain surgery", one is not saving lives nor do large groups of people depend on our dive skills like passengers depend on the flight skills of a professional pilot. Interestingly, I have been on several dives during which some diver felt compelled to comment on my gear. First of all, what f'in difference does it make to another diver the gear I choose to use? The only difference should be to me or my dive buddy and the only exception would be if I were diving equipment that was damaged or obviously dangerous. In that special case I'd welcome their comments. Can you imagine sitting on a bus and having your clothing be scrutinized and openly critiqued by the stranger seated next to you? Or how about your choice in cars? While waiting at a light, the driver next to you leans out the window and smugly asks "why in the world would you buy a green Ford SUV?". Honestly I cannot recall ever having my choice in gear questioned in any other sport or hobby. Finally, if we as consumers do not choose to purchase a variety of equipment, then the manufacturers fail and people are out of work. Consumerism is not criminal nor the "devil" incarnate. It is the fuel the drives our economy and thankfully remains a free choice for us. If I choose to spend my money on some items others think are frivolous, so be it. I just resent those who feel the need to try to deflate my enjoyment of my stuff for their own ego gratification.

Garv

Well said, Mike.

Divers on this board, I would surmise, are primarily recreational versus professional. But just because they are not paid for their diving, recreational divers can be extremely skilled and experienced too. Many are committed to the sport and are busy diving weekly. Their opinions are formed through ongoing training and their unique dive experiences over time. But as you mentioned the only relevant issue in recreational diving is to be safe, environmentally sensitive and have fun diving. This is not "brain surgery", one is not saving lives nor do large groups of people depend on our dive skills like passengers depend on the flight skills of a professional pilot. Interestingly, I have been on several dives during which some diver felt compelled to comment on my gear. First of all, what f'in difference does it make to another diver the gear I choose to use? The only difference should be to me or my dive buddy and the only exception would be if I were diving equipment that was damaged or obviously dangerous. In that special case I'd welcome their comments. Can you imagine sitting on a bus and having your clothing be scrutinized and openly critiqued by the stranger seated next to you? Or how about your choice in cars? While waiting at a light, the driver next to you leans out the window and smugly asks "why in the world would you buy a green Ford SUV?". Honestly I cannot recall ever having my choice in gear questioned in any other sport or hobby. Finally, if we as consumers do not choose to purchase a variety of equipment, then the manufacturers fail and people are out of work. Consumerism is not criminal nor the "devil" incarnate. It is the fuel the drives our economy and thankfully remains a free choice for us. If I choose to spend my money on some items others think are frivolous, so be it. I just resent those who feel the need to try to deflate my enjoyment of my stuff for their own ego gratification.

Garv

Agreed. 100%. With both your post and the post you were replying to.

Question is: what relevance do they have to this thread?

(and, FWIW, I can imagine sitting at a light and having people comment on car choice. I can remember it too.)

Agreed. 100%. With both your post and the post you were replying to.

Question is: what relevance do they have to this thread?

(and, FWIW, I can imagine sitting at a light and having people comment on car choice. I can remember it too.)

Don't know... none really... just got caught up in the discussion and felt like expounding.

Safe diving!

Garv

There was really no need for the thread to go where it has gone... The OP asked what DIR was and the answer is simple:

It is an acronym for "Doing It Right" and is a philosophy.

End of discussion... at least I think.

There was really no need for the thread to go where it has gone... The OP asked what DIR was and the answer is simple:

It is an acronym for "Doing It Right" and is a philosophy.

End of discussion... at least I think.

I think the thread went the way it did because you called the DIR people a bunch of know it all jerks who are trying to force their way down your throat and they have nothing to teach you. Others can correct me if that is not a good summary of how the thread turned after you entered the discussion.

Before you posted called DIR people know it alls, a couple of folks had already linked to articles explaining what DIR is and it was shaping up to be an informative thread. You are the one who decided to insult a group of divers and when called out on it, you haven't done so well with your public relations efforts. It got worse when you started insulting this cd person with who you have some kind of eventful past. The posts have been "off the wall" indeed!!

I think the thread went the way it did because you called the DIR people a bunch of know it all jerks who are trying to force their way down your throat and they have nothing to teach you. Others can correct me if that is not a good summary of how the thread turned after you entered the discussion.

Before you posted called DIR people know it alls, a couple of folks had already linked to articles explaining what DIR is and it was shaping up to be an informative thread. You are the one who decided to insult a group of divers and when called out on it, you haven't done so well with your public relations efforts. It got worse when you started insulting this cd person with who you have some kind of eventful past. The posts have been "off the wall" indeed!!

I'm sorry, but if you or anyone else was insulted... it was due to your own inferiority complex.

I said all along - my statements did not apply to all DIR divers... so go back and read if you're capable. If you were insulted - it must have been because you knew they applied to you. Guilty consciences always become defensive. and since I know everyone else here can read and quite possibly read my posts word for word - they will all have to agree. I never attacked the DIR philosophy nor all DIR divers.

That is clear and certain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom