Discover scuba without instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MANY uncertified people died a terrible death when their friend, father, cousin, brother who weren't dive instructors took them diving when they shouldn't have done so. Aside from the legal issues, the most terrible thing after the death or somebody turning in to a vegetate state is the guilty feeling people have after they have lead to the death of the uncertified unknowing relative/friend. I know many of these people that live with the guilty feeling for the rest of their lives. Do NOT do it!!

These days I wouldn't put money on that scenario, all your non bicycle riding buddy would need is a good lawyer. Even if you win you're still out lots of money in legal fees to prove your buddy was an idiot. You can sue for anything at any time and win with a good lawyer, kinda like ordering a hot coffee then spilling your coffee in your own lap then getting rich because the coffee was hot.
That's not what happened. Look it up. And while the legal expenses required to defend against an unmeritorious lawsuit do prompt some defendants to settle, often a demand letter threatening Rule 11 sanctions (if in US federal court, or the state equivalent) can put to bed a truly frivolous suit cheaper than settling.

I have 4 kids now grown up. All 4 were allowed to scuba in my pool in the backyard in the shallow end as long as I was there and in the water with them. I gave them a run down on how it worked and what they should and should not do...

Some folks are afraid of the liability - this was my family under my care and I would do it again. 2 out of the 4 now dive with me. The other 2 had no interest in diving.

I would not take someone into open water without a certification. At some point you need to weigh the pros and cons and your risk tolerance. :)
There is no SCUBA police but you have to deal with your actions should something happen...

MANY uncertified people died a terrible death when their friend, father, cousin, brother who weren't dive instructors took them diving when they shouldn't have done so.
While I totally agree about the sentiment, I'd really, really appreciate a cite on the "many" (sorry, "MANY") claim.

That is the thing i’m Wondering, why would they be able to sue you? If tomorrow you take a friend with you to ride a bicycle, he crashes and gets hurt. They can’t sue you unless you did something wrong?
Big difference per country. In Belgium they won't sue the living daylights out of you. Most answers with scary financial nightmares are typically American. :rolleyes:

Although there is no (national) law prohibiting diving without certification, hardly anyone just dives without training.

Compared to driving a car, many more people do that without a permit. Maybe because the risks are more recognisable?

Couple thoughts that haven't been expressed:.

In terms of liability, are you loaning them your gear? If so, you would be as liable as a shop that rented gear to them. The bicycle analogy breaks down at several points as well. Are we assuming your friend has never ridden a bike? There ARE police that enforce road laws. Etc.

Have you ever seen the movie What about Bob? Bob is deathly afraid of everything, but want stay with a family that is going sailing. They end up tying him to the mast. He gets excited and says I'm sailing! Look at me, ImI sailing! I'm a sailor! Your hypothetical friend might think they're a diver and try it outside your eagle eye. That could get them and/or their unknowing buddy killed deader than when you supervised them.

In Belgium they won't sue the living daylights out of you.
But you'd still have to live with the fact that someone under your care was killed or made invalid. And that you were ultimately responsible.

While I totally agree about the sentiment, I'd really, really appreciate a cite on the "many" (sorry, "MANY") claim.

From first hand experience in the last couple of years, around 7 accidents. Five died, one crippled (possibly died later but I never followed up) and the other one had severe damage to one of his ears and can't dive for life (he was taking a diver training course with somebody claiming to be a dive instructor was wasn't even a certified diver). This is first hand experience. Many more I have heard or read about in the last five years. These incidents happened in Libya. There no laws or scuba police here, not even lawsuits. the crippled one was working with his cousin who was a navy diver and were diving to around 50 meters spearfishing. All deaths were classified as "death by drowning" by the local medical examiner(s). Another one was doing multiple 50 - 60 meter dives in a single day with his relative when he came up from the last dive in severe pain and his body was twisted like a pretzel. He died in the chamber. Two brothers were scuba diving together with one showing the other how to "scuba dive." The brother who was the "student" expired coming up from the bottom to the surface. In this particular incident, the surviving brother, both were in their early 20's, became an emotional wreck after the incident and is probably in severe depression. I doubt that he will ever get the appropriate psychological care he needs.

There were also incidents in the US and the Caribbean over the years I heard or read about them when I lived there but I can't remember the exact details.

the crippled one was working with his cousin who was a navy diver and were diving to around 50 meters spearfishing.
Damn, that's - more than a little bit - heavier than what I was thinking about (taking someone down to a couple of meters' depth while breathing off your octo/long hose)

All deaths were classified as "death by drowning" by the local medical examiner(s).
Not particularly surprising. No matter the triggering cause or the incapacitating cause, the ultimate cause of death usually is drowning - unless there's a medical incident like a heart attack. And that's what'll be noted down during the autopsy. Only a proper accident analysis can uncover the triggering cause, and often not even then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom