Dive Flag Awareness Event FL Statewide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, there is no "Thanks" button here.
Sure there is.:wink:
Darnitol, that pesky thing was hiding last time I visited this thread. :shakehead:

Agreed, but I'll bet if you asked every boater at the ramp what the dive flag means to them they would be able to tell you diver down but I doubt most of them could tell you rules surrounding it.
Fair enough, but at least they know there are divers in the area of a flag. Someone from the midwest or another country might think it's marking something of interest that they should come over and check out.

Note to self: buy mini air horn for dive kayak. Sometimes when I'm out there paddling, I get REALLLLLLLLLLY nervous. :shocked2:

Take a look at I-95, licenses don't change attitudes.

Sadly there is no limit to human stupidity. I have long felt the only way a dive flag would be truly effective is if it is flown above a mk 6 anti ship mine. But requiring testing for a boaters liscense would at least remove the lame "I didn't know what it meant" excuse.

:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::no::no:
It is our hope to have volunteers standing by at EVERY PUBLIC BOAT RAMP in Florida to hand out Brochures from the FWC regarding DIVE FLAG LAWS.

I'd like to try to help over here in SRQ. How can I get a copy of the brochure from the FWC?
Is this it?---->Divers Down Flag Law
That page reads like stereo instructions. It's mostly for "us" divers and not directed toward boaters. Is there another brochure?

Sorry for the repeat post. Computer hick-up.

Last edited:
Note to self: buy mini air horn for dive kayak. Sometimes when I'm out there paddling, I get REALLLLLLLLLLY nervous. :shocked2:

I never paddle without one. One piece of advice though. Don't waste your money on the small hand held ones. :no: Make sure you get the one that's the size of a soda can. The smaller ones don't make enough noise & won't be heard over a boat motor.

Hey guys! I want to help with this flag awareness day. Catefish and I were thinking about going down to phil Foster park and handing out brochures and bumper stickers and anything else possible. I think Phil Foster Park would be great because most of the people that put their boat in there are going to go party at peanut island or they are going out the port of palm beach. There is a lot of good diving just out the inlet so it can be a dangerous area. Which brochures do I need? And if anyone wants to meet up so I can get some bumper stickers or anything let me know. Thanks

So you're saying requiring boaters to be educated to maritime rules of the road and boat handling are a bad idea? Something needs to be done, what's your solution?

Big Ass signs at every launch point and fuel dock.

Look at the FL drivers license exam, what is it, 10 questions. The boat license would be just another layer of bureaucracy to collect fees. The boating industry would have it so watered down the dive flag probably wouldn't even be on the 10 questions. It would be a formality to pass it, you would probably test at participating marine dealers, no one wants to deal with the drivers license bureau twice. The state would use it primarily to get revenue.

Look at those guys with the parasail boats, they have USCG captains licenses and people have had problems with them.

Knowing it's a dive flag isn't enough, you have to change attitude, boaters have the same attitude towards dive flags as drivers have towards bicyclists.

Another thing that needs changing is the size of the dive flag, those little hankie flags on styrofoam floats are worthless. You can't see them if there is any chop or glare.

Big Ass signs at every launch point and fuel dock.

Look at the FL drivers license exam, what is it, 10 questions. The boat license would be just another layer of bureaucracy to collect fees. The boating industry would have it so watered down the dive flag probably wouldn't even be on the 10 questions. It would be a formality to pass it, you would probably test at participating marine dealers, no one wants to deal with the drivers license bureau twice. The state would use it primarily to get revenue.

Look at those guys with the parasail boats, they have USCG captains licenses and people have had problems with them.

Knowing it's a dive flag isn't enough, you have to change attitude, boaters have the same attitude towards dive flags as drivers have towards bicyclists.

Another thing that needs changing is the size of the dive flag, those little hankie flags on styrofoam floats are worthless. You can't see them if there is any chop or glare.

One of those conspiracy theory guys, huh? I'm not saying it's the only answer, I'm just saying boaters need to be educated. Any yahoo can buy a 60mph boat in Florida and be zipping up the coast an hour later, don't tell me you see no problem with that.

Recently, our fellow diver, Rob Murphy was struck by a boat while he was diving. The accident caused the loss of both of Rob's legs. There are still boaters that do not understand the DIVE FLAG LAWS. On SATURDAY JANUARY 31,we are organizing the largest DIVE FLAG AWARENESS event to date. It is our hope to have volunteers standing by at EVERY PUBLIC BOAT RAMP in Florida to hand out Brochures from the FWC regarding DIVE FLAG LAWS.
** We will also ask every boater to SIGN A PETITION started by Chad Carney, urging Governor Crist to declare a Dive Flag Awareness Day here in Florida. We want the media to cover the event in your area. Rob's family will be joining us here in Jupiter to help publicize this event. We will keep track of how many people and boat ramps so I can prepare a press release for the media in your area. IF YOU CAN HELP, email info@scuba-works.com or randy@emeraldcharters.com.

Here is a list of the Boat Ramps we have covered so far with the contact info.

Dive Flag Awareness
31-Jan-09

1 Burt Reynolds Park Jupiter Scuba Works (561) 575-3483
2 Fort DeSoto Park Tampa Bay I need a volunteer here. Chad Carney 727 -423-7775
3 Bay Pines St Pete Chad Carney 727 -423-7775 I'm on this one.
4 Seminole Street Clearwater I may still need a volunteer here. Chad Carney 727 -423-7775
5 Lantana Lantana Fl Free Divers (561) 503-0848
6 Curry Park West Palm Laura Rogers need info
7 Jensen Causeway Jensen Beach Deep Six (772) 692-2747
8 Sansprit Park Stuart Bubba, Petra need info
9 Rivergate Port St Lucie Deep Six (772) 692-2747
10 Destin Destin Jim B need info

** Thanks Randy, but I didn't start the petition... I just put a version of it on-line and it has generated dozens of signatures!

Sheri Daye & Mike Hickey worked with the FWC in 2007 & 2008 and got this whole thing going.

LowVizWiz, Yes The Blue Wild will have the FWC present and of course founder Sheri Daye & Mike Hickey there too. My table will have a dive flag awareness display and petition.

Anyone who wants to sign the petition right now can do so by going to my website's Dive Flag Awareness page. There's a good amount of additional information there as well. http://floridaskindiver.com/Dive Flag Awareness.htm

Thanks,

Chad

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom