Dive Flag Awareness Event FL Statewide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found this in the Sun-Sentinel. To pi$$ed off to say more.

South Florida: Diver loses legs

January 12, 2009

A Palm Beach County man lost his legs after being run over by a boat while diving near a Martin County park, according to state officials.

Robert Murphy, 26, was spearfishing in the St. Lucie River on Friday when he was hit by a boat driven by Roger Nicosia said Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Gabriella Ferraro. Palm Beach Post

It's terrible how badly this was reported! He was offshore in open water with a dive flag and SMB deployed. Rob is doing well though and is in awesome spirits considering such a life altering event!

Be safe out there!
Carolyn:shark2:

Randy,

This is an outstanding idea. I volunteer my services for the 15th Street boat ramp just inside Port Everglades here in Fort Lauderdale. I will call Scuba Works on Monday to find out how to get the brochures to pass out to the boaters.

I may join you Brian. Depending on whether my morning diving is done on time. E-mail sent to Scuba Works.

Boat Ramp Address

Boynton Beach Boat Club Park - ramps

2210 N Federal Hwy, Boynton Beach, FL 33435

i would like to help

Randy,

This is an outstanding idea. I volunteer my services for the 15th Street boat ramp just inside Port Everglades here in Fort Lauderdale. I will call Scuba Works on Monday to find out how to get the brochures to pass out to the boaters.

I'll also volunteer for this location. PM sent to Brian.

Randy,

I'm diving Boynton that afternoon but will be happy to help in the morning.

It is our hope to have volunteers standing by at EVERY PUBLIC BOAT RAMP in Florida to hand out Brochures from the FWC regarding DIVE FLAG LAWS.

I'd like to try to help over here in SRQ. How can I get a copy of the brochure from the FWC?
Is this it?---->Divers Down Flag Law
That page reads like stereo instructions. It's mostly for "us" divers and not directed toward boaters. Is there another brochure?

I don't read spearboard, but does anyone know if they or we could plan or do something during The Blue Wild?

Please... if you want ScubaBoard Stickers to hand out at the same time... just EMAIL me your mailing address and I'll send you some. NetDoc@ScubaBoard.com. This almost happened to me in the Keys.

Just a piont to consider...Even I florida it is safe to assume there are fewer boaters out and about in January than in July and that those who are active in January are more dedicated and more likely to be aware of the rules of the road (obvious recent exception noted). In order to be more successful this boater education drive needs to be extended thru, or repeated in, the "regular boating season".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom