Dive gods: How well do you clean your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't pee in my wetsuit very often. But, when I do, then whenever I get home from that excursion, I rinse my suit, booties and all my hoods with Mirazyme. My main wetsuit is 2 1/2 years old now and still looks good, with no smell. Ditto for my booties.

For my hard gear, I bought a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub for the garage. It's big enough to completely submerge my double 120s in. When I get home from a saltwater dive, I fill that tub and let my tanks and all my other gear soak over night.

It SEEMS like (to me) that salt water can dry and leave salt crystals very quickly. Once the crystals form, it SEEMS like it's a lot harder to get rid of them by simply soaking than by just rinsing the salt water off before it dries. So, I try to give my stuff at least a quick dunk in a rinse tank as soon as the boat gets into dock.

I read a book on dive accidents and it seems like one of the fatalities was a CCR diver who simply didn't rinse his unit properly between the last dive one day and the first dive the next day. His death was a result of salt crystals that formed in some orifice somewhere that resulted in his unit not operating properly. Of course, there was a lot more to it than JUST that. He screwed up in a bunch of ways. But, it all started with simply not rinsing his unit right after he was done diving.

It's not that likely for salt crystals to produce a potentially fatal condition in OC gear, like it could be with a CCR, I guess. Nevertheless, it just seems like a good idea to give regs and BCD (inflator and exhausts) a quick dunk in fresh water before they dry with salt water on them.

Semi-related: I have heard from a couple of different sources that Kevlar (e.g. knee patches on a drysuit) tends to have a relatively short (RELATIVELY) lifespan when used in salt water. Again, the explanation is that when the salt water dries, it leaves tiny salt crystals in the woven fibers of the Kevlar. Those crystals gradually cut the Kevlar fibers over time. Kevlar is strong, but it is not especially abrasion resistant.

I read a book on dive accidents and it seems like one of the fatalities was a CCR diver who simply didn't rinse his unit properly between the last dive one day and the first dive the next day. His death was a result of salt crystals that formed in some orifice somewhere that resulted in his unit not operating properly. Of course, there was a lot more to it than JUST that. He screwed up in a bunch of ways. But, it all started with simply not rinsing his unit right after he was done diving.

Care to refer to the book or give more info? Because that doesn't really sound possible...

Salt crystals in the inflator valve causing a runaway inflation? That's the only OC serious danger from not rinsing well that I could come up with. Other things not working due to salty buildup are probably in the annoyance category if annoyance includes calling a dive due to equipment failure.

All of my diving is salt water so I pretty much have the same routine. As soon as I get home (I only live 10 minutes from the dive shop) I fill up a Rubbermaid tub (10-15 gallons?) and throw in my booties, gloves, mask, and fins. When it's filled up, I dunk my wetsuit, turn it inside out and dunk it again and let it set for a bit. While that's sitting I flush the wing a couple of times. I take all the stuff out, hang it on saw horses, and drain the tub. Refill it and throw in my computer and regs. I dunk my BP/W a couple times and let that sit to dry in the spare bathroom tub. I let the regs and computer soak for a couple hours and then go hang them to dry over the tub.
Overall it takes 30 minutes or so, but not really that big of a deal.

I don't pee in my wetsuit very often. But, when I do, then whenever I get home from that excursion, I rinse my suit, booties and all my hoods with Mirazyme. My main wetsuit is 2 1/2 years old now and still looks good, with no smell. Ditto for my booties.

Whoa, wait a minute.

If you wash away your pee, how will you be to identify your wetsuit from others? :confused:

I think it was in this book. But, I don't have time right now to go through it and verify.
Okay I did some more looking, apparently it's possible for a CMF orifice getting plugged on a SCR with no O2 cell. I'm not sure how common those still are though.

I do not rinse between dives over a weekend. When I get back home either Sunday night or Monday after work I douche everything pretty well and hang

And think how thankful the first responder will be

'Zackly.
"well, I'm sorry he didn't make it. But he did have minty breath.." ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom