diving fitness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindyHop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
PADI always refrences the benfits of staying fit and helathy for diving, but always in a rather oblique manner, they never go into the facts and suggestions I love so much (I'm a geek for facts), so I figured I'd ask here.

I'd love to know what everyone does to keep fit topside (I mean above Davey's Locker, not the fitness of one's torso over their legs!) and what activities or exercise you see having a direct impact on diving being better through your taking part.

I try and run, but inevitable laziness on that front means its sporadic at best (when you're in the tropics that's a hard every-day kind of activity to be fair!), I surf and skate, but the one thing that has helped me the most is yoga.
I found huge improvements almost from day one with breathing, dealing better through calmness in strong currents, and best of all wreck diving is much easier when you can bend through angles usually looked at as impossibilities (that and being the size of a nudibranch helps me, I suppose!). It's my every day workout, and I really can see the results in my diving.

After my obligatory photos illustrating both the procrastination of work that led to me making this thread, and me being a dork, I'd love to hear, see, read or know what you all do to stay in shape for the diving life!

Here I am demonstrating that the Baywatch run, and running itself don't mix well with me:
11091328_10155581893740495_5441403208845617351_n.jpg

I was going to attach some yoga, but maybe my double life as a pretzel isn't too wonderful to force on you all

I try to use a variety of exercises since I think is key. So elliptical, cycling, swimming, walking/hiking & yoga. I totally agree that yoga really helps with breath control & keeping calm!

Side note: There's actually a Dive into Fitness forum & if you want us to move this thread into there, we can do so. Either way, your post will still appear under new posts for all to see. :)

I find that CrossFit is great fitness training for divers. It's truly functional fitness, so it touches all aspects of diving. Lift heavy tanks? No problem. Long periods of exertion from finning hard into a current? Not a sweat. Short bursts of power needed to lift that wreck off a trapped divers legs? ...nevermind, I'm thinking of Sea Hunt reruns. Lol. But seriously, it works!
14542381_847391882030822_6558037855059169671_o.jpg

14633516_847397352030275_5250051930951803540_o.jpg

Obligatory photo of me doing some weird crawl thing. This is why I love scuba. I'm much more graceful in the water.

I ride 20-30 miles 5 times a week. Yoga twice a week and a personal weight trainer on Tuesday evenings....at 58, I look 10 years younger than most of my friends my age :)

I've been outdove by guys close to double my weight in ever every aspect of what makes a good diver and had fit looking people unable to keep up. Doesn't seem like other land based physical fitness is of particular benefit to dive ability.

The logical exception is major restrictions (cave +wrecks) If you're significantly large compared to the opening you're trying to penetrate it's going to be a slow process.

Heart and cardiovascular systems health seems important.

From my observation, provided you can GET to the water you can a fine diver regardless of your land based fitness.

As much as we'd like diving to be a fit, muscular and flexible person's sport it isn't.

Slightly controversially,
Cameron

These days, a little running, a little swimming, some stair climber at the gym, and a bit of weight lifting. I have reduced the intensity of everything as I've gotten older, and I do more stretching. I can't run 10 miles anymore without the knees hurting. Squats hurt my back no matter how proper my form appears to be, so I do leg presses with less weight. As others have said, I believe variety is the key. Cardiovascular fitness is increasingly important to me, as I get the impression that heart attack is the number one cause of scuba-related death for divers my age.

I have heard yoga can be useful to divers, but the yoga classes I have observed don't appeal to me. I wish there were a "Yoga For Divers" class I could take, where everyone is a diver.

I start my swimming exercises by doing five times underwater across the pool (35 foot pool) before surfacing and then continue up to around 40-50 times across the pool (freestyle). Then I'll do a couple more times across the pool underwater just so I'll know I can do it when winded. I do this about every other day. I figure since I'm a diver I ought to be in good condition for swimming, just in case the boat sinks or something. I also ride my bicycle for about 25-30 minutes two or three times a week (usually). I figure both of these exercises are good cardio workouts and riding the bike keeps my legs strong for those times when I have to drag someone back to shore. I am 64 years old so I figure I have to keep in shape because if I let myself go I might not be able to get it back.

I've been outdove by guys close to double my weight in ever every aspect of what makes a good diver and had fit looking people unable to keep up. Doesn't seem like other land based physical fitness is of particular benefit to dive ability.

The logical exception is major restrictions (cave +wrecks) If you're significantly large compared to the opening you're trying to penetrate it's going to be a slow process.

Heart and cardiovascular systems health seems important.

From my observation, provided you can GET to the water you can a fine diver regardless of your land based fitness.

As much as we'd like diving to be a fit, muscular and flexible person's sport it isn't.

Slightly controversially,
Cameron
I agree with you. Most folks I see on dive boats are well out of shape and weight, but that's what makes scuba so great, these people can enjoy a sport and participate .

Being 52, I agree with Lorenzoid. I am unable to maintain as rigorous a workout regimen as I could in years past. My parts hurt when I overdo it, and healing just ain't the same as it used to be. I spend most of the fall preparing for a couple of snowski trips, and then go into "maintenance mode" after I've skied. Otherwise, I'd wear out. The elliptical is much more forgiving on my knees and shins, so I usually get 3 days of one hour each. Two days a week are core, upper body and these things from hell called leg blasters, which are a series of squats, lunges and jump lunges. Google them if you want, but don't overdo them, you'll be really sore until you acclimate. Ultimately I'm trying to get my heart rate into the 150's, for at least 20 minutes, 3 days a week.

I'm wondering how the above will relate to a week of scuba next month. I'm a slow diver, so I think I'll be fine.

I do several things, including 20 minutes daily on the stationary bike. What I think may help with my own diving the most is arm stretches with the rubber things with handles (I stick it in a door and pull out). I started this to build up arm strength for the divemaster 400 meter timed swim. Since absolutely never using arms on scuba IMHO is a myth, I think it does help. Strong arms help with all that gear hauling too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom