Do you still log your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will download my computer with notes about the location but I hate doing a logbook.

Nope, quit after about the first dozen or so. Got certified back in the 70's. Perhaps because I dove alot before I got certified I never really got into it. Once, while working over in Korea, I stopped off at Truk, I did write all those dives down. I really wanted to remember the details of those dives. But, that was more of a narrative rather than things like depth, duration, etc.

, that was more of a narrative rather than things like depth, duration, etc.

Isn't that why you keep a log in the first place.:confused:
Just your personal info/memo to keep track on the different locations.

I was meticulous about logging about the first 150 or so. Then I started downloading my computer, and I wasn't regular about it. I think I have the data on almost all those dives, but didn't fill out where or with whom or anything else about them. Then my computer died, with probably 20 or 30 dives in it, so I lost those. With the new computer, I've been pretty good about logging, because it only holds about 20 dives before you have to download it.

I enjoy going back and looking at the original, hand-written log. It brings back great memories!

I started logging my dives in 1999, and with the exception of my Rescue class dives (about 7 or so), I have logged all of my dives to date including all my cave and wreck dives. I too enjoy going back and reading about the places I have been, the people I have met along the way and it shows a record of steady progress and accomplishment. It is also very helpful when people need information about places and dives, and I have recorded that in my log book.

I'm still quite fresh with only about a year and a half and 170 dives in... but still it's already fading.

Paper log I'll always log... since it's part of the routine. After diving depending on weather we'll light up the BBQ or go to pub for some beers. The log goes with and is filled during the first beverage.

Computer log is something else... I still need to synchronise my divecomputer with at least 8 to 10 dives in not yet copied.

I know a guy who meticulously recorded his dives (+9000 of them). Then one day he was doing a night dive and somebody smashed in his car window to get to the radio, other valuables and they also took his logs (last 3). He was really devastated by that.

I log mainly to keep track of weight/gear changes and to list the buddies I dived with. I also try to keep basic navigational headings for landmarks in case I want to go back. I've logged every dive so far and hope I continue to do so.

Call me a nerd, but this is my 10th year of diving and I still log my dives. My husband gave it up a long time ago (rather, he delegated the task to me...):wink:
I like to go back and read my adventures. It also helps me remember what the weather/water is like at different times of the year.

Certed in '70, and never logged a dive till recently (last 10 yrs or so). No records of dives, locations, buddies, conditions, problems or solutions, and with my porous memory only vague recollections of a few of those long ago dives remain.

Now I log every dive, even short training dives. I find those usually quite short entries useful and often they bring back memories of great dives and fun times with new people I've often only met once. Really wish I'd logged a bit when I was younger.

Not me. If the dive is for work, then it requires a report, if it is for fun I don't need written records. I remember the special ones, if I forget too many it only means I need to dive more.

Details about my configuration don't change that drastically, tomorrow I'll need the same stuff I used last weekend, which was similar to couple of weekends back. If somethings need to change I'll make a mental note for the next dive or for the next day. If it is critical I don't forget, if it is minor it may take a couple of mental notes to actually get it done.

Then again I don't even pay too much attention to the names of the sites. The pleasure I get from a dive doesn't increase by logging it, if anything it can take away because for me the papertrail (hardcopy or electronic) is work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom